Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powders

I am new to metallic cartridge reloading, although I have been loading shotshells for years. In order to economize as well as to ease storage, etc I am looking for a powder that can be used in both 9mm and 45acp loads. In the 9mm I am considering using 124/125 grain bullets and in the 45, 230 grain. Both will most likely be lead. We shoot mostly in local Steel Challenge and USPSA events and would like softer recoil while still making the required PF.

For 9mm the guns being loaded for are two Glock 34's, a Glock 17L and a Glock 17. I know that when we shoot lead we will have to run a bore snake through them every 100-200 rounds or so, which to us is no big deal.

For .45acp they are a Dan Wesson Patriot with 5" barrel and a Para P-14 ltd with 5" barrel.

Thanks!

Steve

I like Solo 1000. I use it in 9mm, 40m, and 45. accuracy and consistence shot to shot is very good. It is the cleanest powder I've ever used.

Check the manuals, but if you have powder that you have been using for 12ga. target loads, you may find some applications for 45. There may be better powders available, but you could buy one new powder, use something you already have on hand, and do your own comparison.

For me, that is part of the attraction of reloading; getting to do some of your own research within the parameters set by the recipes in the manuals.

Good luck.

I've come to the conclusion there are two types of powder,

dirty and cheap

clean and expensive

Probably true.

My dirty/cheap W231

My clean and expensive N320

The more I shoot, the more I get lazy to clean my guns. I'm willing to pay more especially when VV N320 only costs me $12/1000 for my 147gr 9mm loads. Availability is a challenge.

Check the manuals, but if you have powder that you have been using for 12ga. target loads, you may find some applications for 45. There may be better powders available, but you could buy one new powder, use something you already have on hand, and do your own comparison.

For me, that is part of the attraction of reloading; getting to do some of your own research within the parameters set by the recipes in the manuals.

Good luck.

I have about 20lbs of Clays, 12lbs of Universal Clays, about 2 lbs of Win 296 as well as some Hercules Green Dot........ Needless to say, I would prefer to use what I have on hand, because it is such a pain in the arse to find components.

Thanks.

Steve

Clays is my preferred powder in the .45, especially with lead bullets & I have used Green Dot. As others have posted, check the manuals which are available online.

I load shotshells with WST and since I get it in 8lb jugs I started using it for all my lead loads (majority of what I shoot) in 9mm/38/40/10mm/45 acp.

Works great and is the least smoky of the powders I tried.

Neal in AZ

I load shotshells with WST and since I get it in 8lb jugs I started using it for all my lead loads (majority of what I shoot) in 9mm/38/40/10mm/45 acp.

Works great and is the least smoky of the powders I tried.

Neal in AZ

Does anyone know if WST is any less smoky than 231 with lead wadcutters?