Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Articles You'd Like to See in Tactical Guns & Gear?

I'm writing articles for a magazine called Tactical Guns & Gear. It's one of what InterMedia (formerly Petersen's Publishing) calls a Special Interest Publication, one of those once-a-year, 100-page, all-color jobbies, almost a coffe table book (though it does have a paper cover) on thick, glossy paper. Though TG&G does occasionally do a gun review, mostly they cover the support equipment. In the past I've done articles on military protective eyewear, military hydration systems, and for the upcoming book I've already writen a piece on MREs. I had assignments as well to do articles on boots, multi-tools, and knives. Unfortunately, none of the military suppliers of boots, multi-tools and knives even returned my calls. This was a bit of a shock, that's never happened before, but there you are.

I'm having a hell of a time coming up with new ideas, but I really want to get four articles in this book, instead of just the one I already have. Anyone out there have any topic in particular on which you'd love to see an article? Or more than one topic, for that matter.

Slings? Shotgun especially. What is the difference between the various "3 point systems"? Simple vs. "Tacti-cool"

Maybe attachment (sling/weapon) systems as well.

How about armored electronics?

Why if it is black and has lots of Velcro it immediately becomes 'tactical'?

Seriously though, think about the gear required for a SHTF scenerio. When my house got flattened in Gustave I was reasonably prepared but there were some things I just didn't think of.

-Water storage and preparation. The plastic gallon jugs work OK but I'm looking for something a bit better. Those plastic caps kept popping off and the durability of the container itself wasn't the best in the world. Probably lost 20% of my water due to container breakage. A look at water purification methods, systems, and equipment wouldn't be out of line.

-Water heating. One of the most beautiful gifts was a hot shower after 5 days of mucking out the house. The cold shower just got the grunge off. A hot shower lifted my spirits to get back to the job at hand. Expand that a bit and go with the whole hygene thing.

-Very short term housing. Electricity is out. Structure is compromised. Air is at 99.9% humity inside and outside. Sleep really didn't occur. The house became uninhabitable in 5 days when the mold settled in. No hotels around. Where to go? If I could come up with a tent with AC run by generator I'd make a mint. Any other options out there?

-MREs, knives and multi-tools are obvious choices and you have that already covered. I had the MRE's covered. Knives and multi-tools I was weak on and still need to ramp up.

-Gear specific to stucture collapse. Don't know what is out there but I got beat up just working around busted 2 by whatevers, chainsawing, siding, and roofing material. Protective clothing?

How about a real approach to tactical EMS? Yes, tactical EMS is real. There are tons of places that will sell you all manner of cool tactical EMS gear and too many people figure they have the gear, they have watched every episode of E.R. and are ready to save lives.

Sightron's newer model the SIII with mil-dot has been getting a lot of chat about being extremely good for $800, and many are saying it's glass is better than the Leupolds currently on the market. It might be something to compare.

There are tons of M-16 mag pouches on the market now for Molle gear. The differences in the kydex vs the nylon with velco flaps vs bungie flaps... Some are made pretty shoddy, some are excellent.

Grab-n-go bags. If life turned left, what would you have in a bag to just grab and go. What bag.

Hand-held weather systems are getting pretty popular with the long distance shooters. Who are the different makers. How well do they work? How much punishment do they take before they are junked?

Painting your firearms by yourself. Krylon or Durakote or Gunkote, etc. How hard is it? What to not paint? Which works better?

I got the best one, how could someone make their own primers :cheers:

How about armored electronics?

Could you define "armored electronics"?

Laptops, phones, GPS...armored/rugged-ized/etc.

Personally I'd like to see some trickle down into the consumer market of these items. Really I just want a phone that I can drop from desk height without breaking...it doesn't have to stop a round.

It is probably by design, but I want a phone that will last my 2 year contract...

What about an article on the top 10 most essential gear from interviews of those that have seen recent combat? What is it that those who have been using these types of weapons and gear find absolutely essential?

That's my .02 Duane

Edited by JimmyZip

Not sure how "tactical" it is, but I would like to see a magazine test all of the new tiny defense pistols, or BUG's. I would like to see a honest review of these, and their reliability.

Why if it is black and has lots of Velcro it immediately becomes 'tactical'?

-Very short term housing. Electricity is out. Structure is compromised. Air is at 99.9% humity inside and outside. Sleep really didn't occur. The house became uninhabitable in 5 days when the mold settled in. No hotels around. Where to go? If I could come up with a tent with AC run by generator I'd make a mint. Any other options out there?

The Forest Service has canvas tents with Swamp Coolers run by generators. I've seen them at fire camps.

Duane,

So you are THAT Duane Thomas! I just made the connection! (I think)

I subscribe to Army Times newspaper and every week they give brief snippets of tactical gear wether it is for Army or Civilian use. Backpacks, flashlights, weapons, non-lethal stuff, etc etc. I just read today that the woundstat packets were pulled from the troops for safety reasons but those things have great potential!

For what it is worth I have a Verizon Casio Boulder cell phone that is waterproof, dust proof and shock proof. I can personally vouch for two out of three. (Not too dusty here in Ohio) And it has a super bright LED flashlight and compass built in.

How about writing about the effectiveness of soft body armor? Perhaps demonstrating the ability to engage a group of targets after being shot at close range. Sort of like if you were involved in a serious social situation.

I would say an article about the different training drills used by some of the top shooters would be good. Seeing the differences in how they train and/or similarities would be pretty cool. Then compare that to some of the top tactical/defensive instructors methods of training. might be ineresting to see the differences there too.

How about writing about the effectiveness of soft body armor? Perhaps demonstrating the ability to engage a group of targets after being shot at close range. Sort of like if you were involved in a serious social situation.

Already did that one, years ago for SWAT - and still have the chest scar - and the video - to prove it. :lol:

How about something on good pistol and rifle caliber compact machineguns (MP5s, HK416s, etc.) that can be concealed in an import SUV or compact car? In addition, how about an article on different techniques to concealing such weapons (preferably cheaply and with little/no modification to the vehicle) and how to deploy them rapidly when needed?

Hi Duane-

I have a new scope base made specifically for flat top AR platforms, although it will fit on anything that shoots.

It is for the small red dot scopes like JPoint, Tasco Optima, Trijicon Red Dot, Pride- Fowler Spec Ops Compact, etc.

You can see Pics and details on my Protocall Design BE Dealer Forum. It is new for 2009. John Pride did the testing

on it. He says it is very repeatable and reliable. According to John, it worked good on the AR from 50 to 600 yd.,

slug shotgun 25 to 150 yd., and out to 100 yd. on a crossbow. Might make a good article, you be the judge.

All the Best - Warren

Laptops, phones, GPS...armored/rugged-ized/etc.

Joel,

Could you (or anyone else, actually, the more the merrier) recommend which armorized electronics in all those areas you think are the best?

Duane, you could take this one and do several articles.

Old school phone that you can plug in the wall that doesn't use electricity should be in every home. Something that willl work when the power is out. I had one but it didn't do any good since the tree cut the phone line. If push comes to shove, how about some MacGyver tips on how to patch a old school phone to the bare wires sticking out of the ground? There's got to be something out there to do that.

After Katrina and Gustave you found out real quick that voice cell service is an impossibility. However text messaging still works. Slow sometimes but the message will get through. Rugged cell phones is a must. Wife dropped hers' enough the smart chip died. Good thing we each had a phone. I was always worried about mine as I worked in the rain for 4 days with mine in my pocket. The S&W 642 was in the other pocket.

Dynamo powered TV and radio. Had one of those windup radios but it fell apart in short order. Haven't found a suitable replacement yet. And yes TV is a near necessity. Being able to catch the public service announcements and weather with the graphics was a great help. I had a 13" that I ran off the generator. OK but I'm not into burning that precious gasoline when it isn't absolutely necessary. Any articles on alternative power communications devices would be a help.

-------------------------------------

Another thought. Items to break your way out of the house if the structure collapes. We were lucky and didn't have to hack our way out of the structure but it could have just as easily happened. Give me something to hack through the studs, drywall, insulation, and outerwalls if I had to. FWIW: Those with an IQ above a gerbil in New Orleans keep a fire axe in the attic. When the flood waters come and you have to escape to the attic, you need the axe to cut through the roof.

-------------------------------------

Back to the 642 in the pocket. Once things calmed down a week or so later I took a look at that J frame. Couldn't believe the gunk that had built up on it. Probably would have worked but probably isn't good enough. Open carry is an option but all the flying wood chips from the chain saw probably would have fouled anything in an open holster. Hindsight says a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker on a belt would have been a better choice. Do a test with one stock and another treated with Scotchgard or some other waterproofing agent under a lawn sprinkler for 24 hours. Which one is dryer? Pros and cons of pocket vs open carry and the gear required in a very wet and dirty environment would be an interesting read. The more I think about it the Safepacker would be the SHTF holster. Open carry but no so open that it would freak out the citizens and police. Passes muster for concealed carry. Shields the firearm from water, debris, and impacts. {Note to self: Get one for the J frame and full size XD}

Geez. I sound like one of those survivalist freaks. I'm not. I'm an old Boy Scout who grew up during the Cold War who is prepared. After two big hurricanes in the last 5 years I'm finding out what works, what doesn't, what is important, and what isn't.