Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun for Beginners

-JQ-

First be sure to read G-manbart's thread on do's and don'ts as a beginner...great post G!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...27&hl=3+gun

I'm starting this thread to hopefully get a few things down before I forget them. I just completed my first 3 Gun and don't claim to know anything really...but these are some random beginner thoughts. There are plenty of "real" 3 gunners here that are full of insight as well...maybe they remember the first few matches...

In no order whatsoever:

Tell the RO's you are new - they will help where they can.

Shoot other types of matches first (USPSA, IDPA, steel, etc etc.). You don't have to master them, but this isn't the first type of competition to try.

3 gun is a mental mountain - you will have to think...maybe just me... :closedeyes:

Try to have your mags loaded (where legal) as you will be busy helping out and this is one less thing to worry with...have various capacity mags too.

You WILL work too: You should know this if you have shot some USPSA-type events. Set steel, paste paper - keep a few pasters in your pocket.

Listen to others - think for yourself: I got a lot of great advice from other shooters but some of their thoughts may be too advanced - stick to the basics and stay safe. Just because another shooters says 3 slugs, 3 shot, 2 slugs should be in your tube...doesn't mean you have to try to emulate this...KISS keep it simple and stupid...there are lots of things to think about...be safe.

You may have a moving 180: This one threw me a bit as I'm fairly new to the whole action-shooting thing and seem to have ingrained the 180 in my subconscious - be safe whatever the situation.

Pay attention in the walk-through: Sounds dumb I know and I tried but still missed a couple of items - led to too much thinking after buzzer.

Breathe...

All guns abandoned should be safe...I decided "safety on" for me but others emptied gun...rules may vary, I hear...

Know how to clear a jam: I don't care who built it, with what un-obtanium...anything can (will) happen.

"How you handle an issue afterward, is as important as how you handle it during"...3G is very mentally taxing and everyone makes mistakes...don't lose your cool...note: this is not just 3G but it will apply sooner or later - thanks Alamoshooter

3 times the guns, three times the fun...3 times the equipment, ammo, mag pouches, slings, sling adapters, etc, etc. - There are lots of little things to consider. You don't want you equipment to fail at the worst moment. (like when the NRA president and his entourage standing there :surprise: )

Practice with all your gear on before you go: Do transitions from one gun to the other, shoot with long gun slung - while moving. Know what needs to be taped down, adjusted, etc.

Be prepared for odd shooting positions, but don't get too hung up mentally on the position you have to be in to get the right sight picture...just get the right sight picture. The gun may be side ways, or uncomfortable somehow - you may not get your favorite cheek-weld...get the sight picture you need and be safe.

Engage all targets: if you are hung up on a target - don't forget to engage them all before the time expires.

You can tell the RO when you are done...you don't HAVE to keep engaging/missing that last target...you will get penalized, but this goes to game management...it is still a game afterall.

Guns shot port down - may cause trouble - or may not - I kept mine up.

Guns with ports up still may catch on the bottom of barriers...

Know when, where and how to gear up...ask.

Watch others and learn...what to do...and what NOT to do...

Breathe...

Ask Questions.

Breathe...

Be prepared for your addiction to grow...x3 :D

Don't fear it - go try it! Have fun!

I hope these pointers don't offend the experienced 3gunners but I thought my brain-dump might help others who are considering 3G.

I'm sure there are tons of things I'm over looking...it really is fun so TRY It!

:cheers:

That sounds like great thoughts. I am not exactly a newbie but I'm not an old pro, either. Those were good reminders for me on some issues as well. Like breathing, for example & transitions from gun to gun.

Something that helps me remember to breathe is when the r.o. says "Are You ready? Standby!" I try to breathe out fully. You have to breathe in then. You can hold your breath if you have a breath but if you have sent it all out, you gotta pull some back in during the stage. Works for me, anyway.

MLM

After a couple of years (not full time, though) of USPSA, I tried 3 Gun for the first time about 6 weeks ago.

Wow.

There is SO much to keep track of, and so much going on, I even had trouble hitting easy targets with my pistol.

I can't wait to do it again in a couple of weeks. :)

Practice loading your shotgun.

I always pack up my gear the night before, and go through it again the morning of. If I oversleep I won't have to worry about forgetting to pack something, and if I don't oversleep I have a second chance to make sure everything's there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to buy an AR-15 in the near future for use around the farm -- varmit shooting at 150 yARDS OR LESS --. plinking, etc. I am an experienced shooter but have NO AR-15 experience and none of my shooting buddies do either. While I won't be primarily using it for 3-gun, this is a future consideration. With a bunch of different brands and configurations to consider, I'd appreciate your thoughts on brand, things to look for, things to avoid, etc. Thanks in advance.

...rules may vary, I hear...

Definitely remember this one. Always ask how the club does this or that. Never assume that because it was the rule at match xyz it's OK at match abc.

oh yea, if you have a wife/husband/significant other make sure they don't mind you spending all of you free time and money on your new hobby instead of them. :)

I am going to buy an AR-15 in the near future for use around the farm -- varmit shooting at 150 yARDS OR LESS --. plinking, etc. I am an experienced shooter but have NO AR-15 experience and none of my shooting buddies do either. While I won't be primarily using it for 3-gun, this is a future consideration. With a bunch of different brands and configurations to consider, I'd appreciate your thoughts on brand, things to look for, things to avoid, etc. Thanks in advance.

I was in your position 6 months ago...and read (searched) tons on this board to decipher what I really need. I was an "anything but AR" kind of guy prior. Now I'm drinking the cool-aid too. It is easy to WAY over accessorize your rifle. AR's have every kind of doo-hickey you can imagine available...and most you don't need.

If I could give you one thing...use a free float front end...from my studies, it is possibly the most simple option to maximize your AR's accuracy.

I'm also a trigger snob but that is a different story...lots of threads on them.

Welcome to the disorder!

Give GentlemanJim a shout. He not only builds some of the best rifles out there, he can kind of shoot them too. Being a competitor he knows what makes a good competition rifle. He's in the dealer's section under Firebird Precision. His stuff is absolutely top of the line.

Start with something basic. The more you shoot the more you will figure out what you want. Ask to put a few rounds through someone's gun. Check out the differences and decide what is right for you. You can start with a stock gun and slowly add the parts you want. A 20" DPMS rifle with a free float hand guard a flat top receiver and iron sights woulds be a great place to start. Since you are looking at a fun gun, not just a competition rifle too, check out the Firebird M4. It's pretty darn cool.

Just my $.025

J-Ho

I guess I will contribute to this thread

1. Use only AR mags that work and drop free. Magpul Pmags to me are the best out there. Nordic has some new Pmag couplers coming out that let's a shooter load up with 45 or so rounds.

2. Get shotshell holders that hold the shotshells in place while running.

3. Find a good holster that will let you stand on your head and the gun will not fall out. Bladetech comes to mind.

4. Clean your mags often. If it hits the dirt clean it.

5. Make sure your know where your slugs hit out to 125 yrds. (125 is the farthest I've seen so far)

6. Keep a towel handy to cover your shotgun and rifle in the blazing sun. Sucks to start a stage and the gun is already so hot it's hard to hold onto.

7. Find a good glove for your weak hand on long shotgun stages. I've seen many a dude get a hand burned up while reloading.

8. Don't let anyone else load you mags for you. The oldest trick in the book is to load a round backwards.

9. Be sure you help out resetting steel and pasting targets. Can't say enough about this. Everyone else is, so should you.

10. Have fun, stay hydrated and pay attention to the wind on long range rifle stages.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Engage all targets: if you are hung up on a target - don't forget to engage them all before the time expires.

If for no other reason than to experience the whole course of fire. I worked the "trench stage" at Ft. Benning and several shooters timed out before they ever got into the trench. I thought it was a shame because that was probably the best part of that stage. Who cares how you scored. Where else do you get to run out of a Bradley, then into a 6' deep, 50ish yard long zig zagging trench pistols blazing.

"I paids mah money now gimme my pony ride!!"

A few more tidbits.

1. Never bring "just enough ammo" to finish the match. There is no such thing as "just enough". I am probably overkill, but I bring enough ammo to shoot the match twice.

2. The shotgun is all about loading. If you can load it reliably and fast, you have most of it down. The rest is just like a computer, point and click.

3. Look at what others are shooting (by way of guns). Get quality equipment. Yes, every piece of equipment can go down, but the better quality you put into it the less it fails.

4. Do keep it basic. There are millions of bolt on accessories for you AR. As stated before, most of it you just dont need. Magazines that reliably feed and drop out without a tug (i.e., push the button and they are gone) save time.

5. Know where your rifle hits at different ranges. I know where my rifle shoots at 10 yards, 25 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards...375 yards. Know your D.O.P.E., Data On Previous Engagement.

6. Practice with them all, dry firing, mag changes, loading the shotgun. They are all important.

7. Enjoy the match. They are meant to be fun and enjoyable. That is why we do this (and to get out of doing chores at home :roflol: )

I am sure there is more and that others will chime in, but that is all for now.