Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp

Two Delta

I know my old barrel had lots of round thru it and still makes major

but takes 7.4 auto comp!! no pressure signs. I bet you will use less

powder on a new barrel. My set up is also 5inch open with 3 port comp no holes

and 5.25inch kkm bull barrel. I currently use 6.8 to 7.0 autocomp, aol 1.145, .378 crimp

with cci pistol primers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started using Auto Comp after being a strict Vit guy and I must say that I am impressed with it! To make Major just like everyone else 7 grains and a 124 Zero JHP COL at 1.130 with small rifle primers for a better burn and if I want to shoot steel I drop the load to 5.4 grains for a 138 PF. Great all around powder.

Robert

I really need to pick up some Autocomp to try out in my Super gun.

Joe W.

Joe its very good in 9 major but not very impressive in 38 Super. Shoots like 3N37.

Hummmm I might still give it a try to see how I like it versus how the gun (chrono) likes it.

Joe W.

I don't know that I'm really trying to make Major PF as much as I'm trying to get the comp to work.

I was loading them to a MV of 1200fps and from what I from what I have been reading, it looks like I need to be around 1400fps.

Think I will start with what TRUbor9 suggested and go from there.

This is the first comped gun I have loaded for, and will welcome any and all suggestions.

I was loading them to a MV of 1200fps and from what I from what I have been reading, it looks like I need to be around 1400fps.

Think I will start with what TRUbor9 suggested and go from there.

This is the first comped gun I have loaded for

Start LOW and work up very slowly and carefully - use

a chrono, and good luck.

depends on the gun, I have 3 poppleholes and use 7.9 for 170 PF.

That "seems" like A LOT of AutoComp. What's your bullet weight and OAL?

Sounds about right if it's 115's.

start low, 6.0, 6.5, then 7.0, then go to tenths, 7.1,7.2 etc.

For a OAL how does 1.140 sound? I have been loading to 1.102

Wait, wait, wait...

Is this in an XDM conversion?

If so, is it really a 5" barrel or a 4.5"?

The mags are going to be your issue, I don't think you can load long in them and make them reliable. I'd figure that out first...

2 things... make sure you chamber will take long... Load a round to 1.175 and with the barrel out of the gun, see if you can drop that in and not hit the lands of the rifling. If so, then see if it will fit the mag.

If so, I'd run some low PF rounds at various OALs to figure out what will run in the mag, and not touch the lands of the rifling.

Once you know those 2 things, then you can talk about loads.

Most of us are all running long OAL's (for 9mm that is). 6.85gr of AC behind a 124/125 JHP at 1.145 will get you 170pf in a 5" no holes gun (actually a 5.5 bull barrel, no holes gun).

7.1gr of AC behind the same bullet will get you the same at 1.165.

Both of those are longer than a standard 9mm round, and it will come down to magazines/chamber as to what your gun can run and what load to use...

Sounds like you need to some some research first talk to Springfield or Scott at Springer to see what they recommend.

Alan

From the back of the chamber to the front of the barrel is 5" so it's a 4 1/2" I loaded a round at 1.14 and it would not drop into the chamber (barrel out of the gun) I have to go with a 1.110 to get it to drop in. This is the

OAL I have had to load it at from the start.

I loaded 5 rounds each at 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0grs. Looking at the case with the powder in it, it's not a compressed load. Do you think the 1.110 OAL will be an issue? It seems to work pretty good at that.

I'm currently having trouble with the cases ejecting with the C-More sight. I have talked to Scott about that. Going to the range Sunday to try them out. I will be looking at the primers for signs of pressure.

Don

From the back of the chamber to the front of the barrel is 5" so it's a 4 1/2" I loaded a round at 1.14 and it would not drop into the chamber (barrel out of the gun) I have to go with a 1.110 to get it to drop in. This is the

OAL I have had to load it at from the start.

I loaded 5 rounds each at 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0grs. Looking at the case with the powder in it, it's not a compressed load. Do you think the 1.110 OAL will be an issue? It seems to work pretty good at that.

I'm currently having trouble with the cases ejecting with the C-More sight. I have talked to Scott about that. Going to the range Sunday to try them out. I will be looking at the primers for signs of pressure.

Don

I'd probably stay away from that 7.0grs... especially if it's at that short length. The length won't be issue per-se, but now that we know the length, most of our recipes won't work, they are for much longer lengths... you'll have to start at 6.0 and work up from there.

Glad we know that now however.

Alan

SAAMI spec for a 9mm round is 1.000-1.169. 1.110 seems a little tight since you'd want a little wiggle room for rounds that're a little long. I'd get it throated a bit more, just in case you get a longer round.

Edited by diehli

Went to the range today. The 6.0gr loads of Autocomp with 124gr JHP worked fine, and the 6.5gr loads worked even better. Noticeably less muzzle flip. The primers looked good, no high pressures showing and none stuck sideways in the chamber. When I went back to my previous loads, I did have issues with the cases. I saw that they were getting stuck between the bottom of the slide and the base mount of the C-More. I will have a friend of mine mill the sight base back some more and I think that will fix the issue. I think I know this but what does lowering the ejection port do?

I'm going to load the 6.0grs of Autocomp.

Don

Edited by Bansheex

I think I know this but what does lowering the ejection port do?

It provides a bigger opening for the spent casing to be ejected out of. Particularly important when you're trying to get them to eject sideways out of the port so as to avoid the underside of a scope (like, say, a C-More).