Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Know The Laws Regarding Switchblade Knives?

Does anybody know the laws regarding switchblade knives or OTF (Out The Front) knives, specifically in Ohio? I know this probably differs from state to state.

A friend recently told me that the law in Ohio now only prohibits "ballistic knives" (one that would launch a detachable blade from it) and that switchblades are fine, so long as they are not longer than 3 inches long.

It seems silly that I can carry a .50 cal Desert Eagle or a Glock with a 20 round mag if I wanted to (I'm talking concealed of course), but not a switchblade knife or one with a 4", 5", or 6" blade.

Your friend would probably go to jail with a OH CCW carrying a Desert Eagle .50 and switchblade concealed. M1 I believe but could be F4

Ballistic knife is defined(no idea why) but I think a switchblade falls under "deadly weapon" definition, and that's a crime. OH CCW allows you to carry a handgun concealed. That is all.

By the way starter pistols, flare guns and zip guns are illegal too.

I think more silly is thinking you are Fonzie or on West Side Story. :roflol:

Your friend would probably go to jail with a OH CCW carrying a Desert Eagle .50 and switchblade concealed. M1 I believe but could be F4

Ballistic knife is defined(no idea why) but I think a switchblade falls under "deadly weapon" definition, and that's a crime. OH CCW allows you to carry a handgun concealed. That is all.

By the way starter pistols, flare guns and zip guns are illegal too.

I think more silly is thinking you are Fonzie or on West Side Story. :roflol:

Apparently you do not know your Happy Days trivia. Fonzie never carried a knife. He did however have a switchblade COMB.

Hmmmm you sort of have Fonzie hair. :rolleyes:

Don't Ya Love it!!!!!!!

In Michigan----nearly 200,000 of us (plus LEOs and retired LEOs) can can carry concealed and over 90% of the population can open carry a handgun.. or several if they so choose.

But we can't be trusted (at least in MI) with a tazer, mace, many formulas of pepper spray, an automatic knife, a sap, a collapsible or folding baton, any double edged knife, brass knuckles.... etc.

So--- The message I'm receiving is ... The state government wants you to kill bad guys rather than use some form of "less than lethal" force to defend yourself.

Google

Ohio Revised Code switch blade.

I have a phone book sized ATF publication around here someplace that has ALL the various USA laws in it (including state and local). But, it is dated. I might have thrown it out, seeing as everything is a mouse click away now...

Quick read....and I don't know if it's current...or if my read is anywhere near correct...

You can't make or have to sell...just about anything...that can be considered a deadly weapon. Looks like you can own them.

You can't carry...just about anything...that can be considered a deadly weapon. (that looks like the affirmative defense thing there)

Carried as a tool (and not a weapon)...that seems to change things. Might be OK on your electrician bat belt. But, could get a guy jammed up...and have to go with through the hell of affirmative defense.

Possession is legal in AL, AZ, AR, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, IA, KY, MS, NE, NV, NH, NY, ND, NC, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, SD, UT, VA, WV, WY.

Carry is legal in all of those states except NV, NH, OK, SC, and VA.

Possession is legal in AL, AZ, AR, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, IA, KY, MS, NE, NV, NH, NY, ND, NC, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, SD, UT, VA, WV, WY.

Where is this info from?

My best recollection is that possession is illegal in NY. Quick web search has many hits saying illegal, but not found the actual laws yet.

OK Legal in NY for hunting, not at all in NYC, not much other info.

Edited by wide45

Where is this info from?

My best recollection is that possession is illegal in NY. Quick web search has many hits saying illegal, but not found the actual laws yet.

OK Legal in NY for hunting, not at all in NYC, not much other info.

Link to the NY law - http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/ny.txt

I guess I should have prefaced my post with a statement that possession or carry, although legal, wasn't without restrictions of one form or another depending on where you were.

You can't carry...just about anything...that can be considered a deadly weapon. (that looks like the affirmative defense thing there)

Carried as a tool (and not a weapon)...that seems to change things. Might be OK on your electrician bat belt. But, could get a guy jammed up...and have to go with through the hell of affirmative defense.

Yep that's why I also have a hand genade on hand, to use as a tool to get those pesky bottles of jam open.

Google

Ohio Revised Code switch blade.

Way ahead of you Kyle. Someone has told us over & over again to use the search function. :rolleyes:

You can't make or have to sell...just about anything...that can be considered a deadly weapon. Looks like you can own them.

Well then by THAT definition even a simple folding pocket-knife can be considered a deadly weapon, but people carry pocket-knives in Ohio everyday. Plus I don't see "knives" mentioned anywhere in the ORC, except for "ballistic knives".

I see no mention of switchblades, auto-knives, folding knives, pocket-knives, steak-knives, or butter knives. And nowhere does it talk about blade length, or even use the word "blade" itself except when discussing "ballistic knives".

Ohio law is pretty crazy, but it can't be that restrictive. <_<

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/oh.txt

The looks like no one in-state can have them for sale unless they only sell to police, fire or military. That would not mean that a resident of Ohio could not purchase said automatic knife (I like that term so much more) from an out-of-state retailer. The law also says you can't conceal it without a license.

ETC - fire or military. Although, Federal law allows possession on Federal property blah blah blah...

Edited by BigDave

Unsure of other states but Big Dave is wrong about NYstate.

Switchblade knives are defined under the NY State penal law as deadly weapons the mere posession of which is illegal.

Don't get your legal advice from us here.

I'm sorry but the defense of "But all the guys on Brian Enos dot com said it was ok" will not fly.

Go to a lawyer or go visit your local police pct and ask about the law and ask to see the relavent section.

Most cops would be happy to show you where it is in the penal law.

JK

I purchased two Benchmade autos at a gun show on the fairground in Lincoln NE. It was legal to purchase on state land but illegal in the city of Lincoln.

When I purchased my BHP in Omaha, I was told I would have to go and registered it with the Omaha police. I did have a NE permit to purchase. However, since I was having C&S do some work on it, I had it sent directly to C&S, bypassing Omaha laws.

The new rule is, not only must you check state statues but also local community laws.

I was told in AZ that if you had a CCW you were allowed to have an auto knife. The sale of autos in AZ is permitted but I think having one in possession might not be.