Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Guns

Bear1142

Well, after my fiasco at the Open Nationals where my open gun only ran on 4 of 16 stages without the scope or gun puking, I took it to the range Sunday to start repairs. Other than putting the 2nd aftec spring back into the gun, I did nothing else. I used my leftover Nationals ammo and another 200 rounds I loaded the night before without making any adjustments. Predictably, the gun fired 300 rounds through every magazine I own without a single malfunction. I can say with utmost cetainty, if I had my new open gun with me, I would have thrown the old one on the berm and shot it until you'd have needed tweezers to pick up any piece. The longer it ran, the more pissed off I got. :angry:

Have you looked into the possibiltiy that under match pressure you are contacting with the slide.

I had a shooting buddy in The UK who had a similar problem, gun rang flawlessly in practice but always puked at the big matches, finally we put black marker pen on the left side of the slide during a match and we found after 2 stages his thumb was black.NEVER happen in practise.

Added a thumb shield and all was good.

try it.

Erik,

Just to make you feel better, my Open gun still isn't running. Actually it's worse than it was at the RaceGun Nationals. I've changed out the extractor, the mainspring assembly (the original one felt very rough and I thought the extra drag may have been slowing down the slide), mag catch, recoil spring (actually tried going all the way up to 11 lbs) and tried another 3 magazines that I didn't take to Bend. Arrggggghhhhh!

If there's one thing that drives me crazy - its bias. I would have NEVER anticipated such Bias in this forum - from such a great group of guys too.

Tsk Tsk Tsk - I am dissappointed.

You see - in my limited experience I've found my limited gun is just as likely to go to the crapper as my open gun was during any kind of big match - specifically the ones I was winning!

94' nationals was my best shot at ever winning a national match - gun jammed on my next to last stage. Of course this doesn't mean I would have won - only that my opportunity to was slowely leaking away. Don't worry Bear - I bet you didn't cry. I did - literally. Doh!

JB

Had the same problem over this weekend, My SV has been Flawless and reliable until this weekends TN sectional match. Started real good on one stage, thought I was going to have a good day, gun puke on the next 4 stages, had to go to my back up gun. Tried the gun on Sunday after the match, shot 200 rds in the steel match and gun didn't puke. GO FIGURE.

Well, thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess misery does love company.

Angus,

Thanks for the tip, but I purposely leave the edge of my slide sharp for that very reason. If I get too close to the slide, I get one hell of a paper cut to remind me to get away from the slide. Usually only takes one time before I'm cured for a long time. :D

Nolan,

Sorry to hear your still having problems. Are you using Armscor brass?

Erik

Sorry, mine is a limited factory SV gun. Maybe the culprit was the sprinco. The slide felt a little funny , maybe it was short stroking the gun. Need to go back to a regular guide rod.

Okay, something important has been overlooked here:

DEMONIC POSSESSION!

It's the only definitive answer as to why guns crap in matches. My Kimber 9mm, which had run flawlessly through stacks and stacks of 115-gr Winchester white box ball, decided to stop ejecting during the ATM/mover stage at last week's IDPA Nationals, giving me the opportunity to watch movers zip quickly away while I got to practice clearing jams.

Then, having humiliated me sufficiently (and on camera, I might add; watch for it nearly next year, with substantial "bleeping"), the demon fled on to Bill Wilson's gun, where it caused the safety to break off.

BUFFY would know how to handle this!!!!!!!!!

Michael B

I second the two notions to investigate the possibility that you're doing something differently in competition, maybe even BIG competitions, than you are in practice, or local competitions.

be

Or of course it could just be Murphy...

:huh: