Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am starting to enjoy asking these kinds of questions.

I recently saw a shooter shooting with an oxygen tank on his back and the nostril attachment.

I know it was on because with electronic muffs on he sounded like DV.

Dangerous?

I wouldn't think so. Your ammunition doesn't require external O2 to burn, so it wouldn't effect that. Unless he is in an enclosed area where the O2 can accumulate and concentrate, I don't even think the flash (leftover powder burn) would be effected.

Just my thoughts, I'm not a chemist :closedeyes:

dj

I don't see how having 100% O2 near an explosion can be a really good idea but I would guess that normal shooting has the blast far enough from the O2 to not light it off. Now a squib or case separation may be a different thing. One little ash in the face you have can have some serious trouble.

Later,

Chuck

Oxygen itself is not flammable. But it makes just about everything it comes in contact with extremely flammable. (Chemically, fire = something reacting with oxygen.)

In a hospital room with a patient on oxygen, you can not have flame, or even a spark. The bed sheets and just about everything else in the room are saturated with oxygen and easily ignited. A muzzle flash, for instance, might set it off. (I wouldn't risk trying.) But that's in an enclosed space. I seriously doubt this would be a concern at even an indoor range, and certainly not at an outdoor range. Unless he's doing live fire practice in his bedroom, I don't think there's an issue.

Max flow out of a nasal cannula is under 6 Liters per minute and the "usual" rate is 2 or 3 because anything over about 6 is rather uncomfortable. That isn't enough to do anything to the local air volume in terms of oxygen saturation even in a small room. It is only working for the person because they are taking it in directly to the lungs.

Gotta give that guy points for not letting it take his sport away from him.

When you dive on a boat, if they have emergency oxygen on board that automatically prohibits smoking. Whether the O2 is inuse or not.

I'd think it isn't the safest thing in the world.

Maybe not even from the shooting perspective - most matches I go to there are several smokers of both cigarrettes and cigars.

Jack

Not a concern. Grandmas across the country are cooking Easter breakfast over a gas stove, wheeling their O2 tanks behind them. The biggest hazard with home O2 is tripping over the tubing and breaking your hip.

+1

Unless there is a serious problem with the tank leaking Kimel's got it right. Not enough flow from medical O2 tanks to cause any problems especially if it is on a demand flow system(only works when a breath is taken).