Top 5 Favorite Albums of All Time

benos

No particular order

Monte Montgomery- New and Approved

AC/DC- Back in Black

Metallica- And Justice for All

Willie Nelson- The Essential Willie Nelson

Guns & Roses- Appetite for Destruction

I could easily list 50 more, but I will play by the rules on this one...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Sonny Terry - Midnight Special

Miles Davis - Porgy & Bess

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (or maybe Lush Life)

J Geils Band - Blow Your face out

But that leaves out way too many greats who should be on the list - Bird, Diz, Dinah Washington, Toots Thielmans, SBW, Little Walter, The Klezmer Conservatory Band, The Tubes, Parliament and Funkadelic, Gogol Bordello, and there's have to be a good recording of the Goldberg Variations, or some Bach Pipe Organ recordings. For that matter, Woodstock II, Never Mind the Bollocks, Workingman's Dead, Deep Purple's Machine Head and the Tubes' "What Do You Want From Live" would be pretty essential

But wait - that leaves out Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, or any of a hundred New Orleans greats who recorded between the 20s and the 90s. What about a representative sample from Memphis, Detroit, Chicago, or Nashville? For that matter, there's no Bill Monroe, Gid Tanner, or any other country/folk/bluegrass pioneers and greats.What about the Rat Pack?

This list can't be compiled.

Slayer - South of Heaven

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Frente' - Marvin the Album

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

If all I could have was 5 albums, these would be the ones...

Slayer - South of Heaven

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Wow someone else who knows Frente'!

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Metallica - Master of puppets

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Lamb of God - Ashes

Testament - any album

I've seen a couple rocks shows as well...

5240_106449136620_653241620_2638080_8293722_n.jpg

I also have seen a "few" shows. Need to take a picture of my stubs. At least the ones that survived!

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Eagles - Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 1

Eric Claptop - Timepieces

U2 - 18

My criteria is pretty simple. If I can put the CD in my truck and not skip tracks, it's good to go. Syncronicity and Brand New Day from the Police\Sting also make it very high on the list, as well as Continuum from Mayer and Songs You Know By Heart from Buffett.

Mac

The most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard is Dietrich Deskau's Third recording of Schubert's "Die Winterreise" on Deutsche Grammarphone. Its also among the most depressing, but just simply overwhelmingly beautiful.

No idea on the other four.

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Metallica - Master of puppets

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Lamb of God - Ashes

Testament - any album

I've seen a couple rocks shows as well...

5240_106449136620_653241620_2638080_8293722_n.jpg

I also have seen a "few" shows. Need to take a picture of my stubs. At least the ones that survived!

exactly, I'm missing stubs from 81-87... all got lost in a move.

those were the good ones when I was a youngster...all gone! :wacko:

Slayer - South of Heaven

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Another Slayer Tallica fan!! :cheers:

Not in order:

1. Jethro Tull - Aqualung

2. Stones - Exile on Main Street (can't believe this hasn't shown up yet)

3. Led Zep IV

4. Beatles - White Album (another great not on the list till now)

5. AC/DC - Back in Black

6. Crosby Stills and Nash - self titled

Very old stuff, but these guys were the heat in my formative years and the albums are timeless, especially for a road trip.

Lately I'm partial to Cake and any of Jack White's music. And Bluegrass. I've also developed a taste for Rage Against the Machine. Good thing I can't understand the lyrics, I guess.

Man, its hard to pick just five. I'm picking albums that I would listen to from start to finish. There are many that have a lot of great stuff, but I'd skip a few. These are good as a complete work:

The Who - Quadraphenia (or Who's Next, or Who Are You)

Pink Floyd - The Wall or Dark Side

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Peter Gabriel - So or Security

Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas

If we allow compilations, or "best of" albums, which we probably shouldn't, you would

have to include:

Bob Marley -Legend

Steely Dan - The Very Best of Steely Dan

Kool & the Gang - The Best of Kool & the Gang 1969-1976

The Eagles - The Very Best of The Eagles

Kiss - Alive II, not a "Best of", but the ultimate live rock 'n roll concert album

Off the wall albums I wore out as a kid:

W. Carlos - Switched On Bach

Tomita - The Firebird Suite

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

Hawkwind - Live in '79

Tangerine Dream - can't remember the album name, still have it somewhere

Wow, it's really hard to list the top five, I'll try list the Five most important ones for me. Perhaps not the best ones since some have led me to a group/artist that later released an even better album or that already had one out I'd discover later on.

Europe - Wings of tomorrow -84

Such a great album that was followed by, "The final countdown" a couple years later. Two really great albums I still listen to alot and that really turned me on to Europe and of course their guitarist John Norum. Unfortunatley John Norum left after that tour and for me Europe as a band ceased to exist. Sure they made some pretty good songs with Kee on guitar, but Norum had become my "house god" together with Gary and was impossible to replace.

Gary Moore - Wild frontier -87

This was my first real contact with Gary and after hearing The loner, I was stuck. He was a great guitarist and my biggest influence. Unfortunatley I only got to see him once, but that summer night hearing him play the blues, such a perfect night. When he passed this february, it was a great loss :(

John Norum - Total control -87

I was extremely bummed after he left Europe, but really soon after the departure rumours started that he was about to go solo. When Total Control came, darn not only did he play like a king, he also had a voice to match. He has released great albums in his own name ever since and the latest one, "Play yard blues" is such a masterpiece. He suffered a great loss when his wife Michelle Meldrum died (guitarist with Phantom Blue and Meldrum)and that have resulted in a couple oh so emotional songs.

Whitesnake - 1987 -87

Just a kick-ass album, nothing but great rock'n roll and I dont think I'd listened to them if it wasn't for that album.

Europe - Start from the dark -04

Got to see their reunion show(or actually they had played a gig in Norway a couple nights before) at Sweden Rock Festival -04 with John on guitar and that night was magical. Had been waiting for that moment for 18years and when "Start from the dark" came later that year, it was such a great comeback.

Some other ones i think deserve to be mentioned even if it's not what was asked for.

Testament - The new order

Metallica - The black album

Ghost - Opus eponymous

Satyricon - The age of nero

Opeth - Watershed

... and the list could go on and on and on and on a...

I have to do it......how bout some hair bands. Blame my childhood! :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that back in the day there was no term "hair bands"

No order here:

Def Leppard Hysteria

Poison Flesh and blood

Tesla psychotic supper

Queensryche Operation mindcrime

Bon Jovi The circle

This is a tough test......I could easily pick 5, 10, or 15 more!

My wife wanted to add in:

Matchbox 20 yourself or someone like you

Bon jovi The circle

Bon jovi Bounce

SRV Texas flood

Def leppard Hysteria

I second SRV :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Wow, it's really hard to list the top five, I'll try list the Five most important ones for me. Perhaps not the best ones since some have led me to a group/artist that later released an even better album or that already had one out I'd discover later on.

Europe - Wings of tomorrow -84

Such a great album that was followed by, "The final countdown" a couple years later. Two really great albums I still listen to alot and that really turned me on to Europe and of course their guitarist John Norum. Unfortunatley John Norum left after that tour and for me Europe as a band ceased to exist. Sure they made some pretty good songs with Kee on guitar, but Norum had become my "house god" together with Gary and was impossible to replace.

Gary Moore - Wild frontier -87

This was my first real contact with Gary and after hearing The loner, I was stuck. He was a great guitarist and my biggest influence. Unfortunatley I only got to see him once, but that summer night hearing him play the blues, such a perfect night. When he passed this february, it was a great loss :(

John Norum - Total control -87

I was extremely bummed after he left Europe, but really soon after the departure rumours started that he was about to go solo. When Total Control came, darn not only did he play like a king, he also had a voice to match. He has released great albums in his own name ever since and the latest one, "Play yard blues" is such a masterpiece. He suffered a great loss when his wife Michelle Meldrum died (guitarist with Phantom Blue and Meldrum)and that have resulted in a couple oh so emotional songs.

Whitesnake - 1987 -87

Just a kick-ass album, nothing but great rock'n roll and I dont think I'd listened to them if it wasn't for that album.

Europe - Start from the dark -04

Got to see their reunion show(or actually they had played a gig in Norway a couple nights before) at Sweden Rock Festival -04 with John on guitar and that night was magical. Had been waiting for that moment for 18years and when "Start from the dark" came later that year, it was such a great comeback.

Some other ones i think deserve to be mentioned even if it's not what was asked for.

Testament - The new order

Metallica - The black album

Ghost - Opus eponymous

Satyricon - The age of nero

Opeth - Watershed

... and the list could go on and on and on and on a...

Have you seen Evergrey,or Brainstorm?Had a chance to see Evergrey In L.A. with a friend,but had to work.Of course he said it kicked ass.I love the bands over there. Almost had a chance to tour with a band over there.Was bummed when it fell. through.One day Im coming over there for the festivals.