Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quietest - Effective Muzzle Brake?

5Shot

The KX3 is impressive in how it directs sound. It does work fine on longer barrels. Its effectiveness for muzzle rise reduction is questionable though. But it rocks at sound direction. I've been pig hunting before with one on my 10" AR and fired 5 shots and had almost no ear ringing.

The small Nordic tactical comp is not as blasty as any of the others and is quite effective given its small size. Very inexpensive too. Next on my list would be the PWS comps....namely the small TTO. Just realize to get some effectiveness in tradeoff for sound....you leave alot of effectiveness up for grabs.

Just realize to get some effectiveness in tradeoff for sound....you leave alot of effectiveness up for grabs.

In this particular case, effectiveness has to go sit on the sidelines while quiet comes up to play. While I have read good things about the KX3, a half pound $130 chunk of metal may be out of the question.

I just looked at the PWS TTO and it doesn't look like it's going to work for me. The CQB model looks more promising, but it's more expensive than the KX3.

Just to be safe, while I'm looking around, I'm going to get a thread protector to shoot with this weekend and see how that sounds.

I have a DPMS Levang comp on a rifle and you don't get the sound blast you do with other compensators and they're quite affordable.

Right now, that one's at the top of my short list.

Have you ruled out the Nordic Tactical comp? It seems to fit your bill. Cheap,small,not as loud as others and effective for its size.

Have you ruled out the Nordic Tactical comp? It seems to fit your bill. Cheap,small,not as loud as others and effective for its size.

It's still on the list but here's the thing. This is kind of like the Monty Python skit where the 'woman' who doesn't want any Spam is told "Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it."

For this one range, I'm willing to go without any effective compensation in exchange for something that is as quiet as possible. IOW, I know that I'm not going to eliminate noise unless I get a suppressor and I'm not in a State where they are allowed and they are too expensive anyway. So, I looking to see if there is a low cost way to reduce noise on this one particular range. So far, the choices in order of price is $0 for nothing at all, $15 for a thread protector, $35 for a Levang, and $135 for a KX3.

I'm probably going to also get a Nordic Tactical comp to try out for regular shooting. But that'll come later.

Of the comps I have tried.

For quiet in order MSTN Q comp, Nordic, DTNC/AK Concepts then the Miculek (way louder).

Agreed. 5shot, I have a used MSTN Q comp that I'm not using. I'll sell if for 1/2 the new price. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Here's the link: My link

Not to be picky, but I frequently see references to products using initials or abbreviations that some people seem to understand but that Google doesn't. For example, MSTN Q comp probably doesn't refer to something having to do with "Molecular cloning and characterization of the myostatin gene", but that's what I get when I search on it.

Not to be picky, but I frequently see references to products using initials or abbreviations that some people seem to understand but that Google doesn't. For example, MSTN Q comp probably doesn't refer to something having to do with "Molecular cloning and characterization of the myostatin gene", but that's what I get when I search on it.

Here it is: My link

I leave the brake on and shoot coyotes with ear plugs.

It's not my ears, it's the rules for shooting on this property.

Cy, thanks for the link. We (myself include) sometimes forget and make references to things that others may not be familiar with. For example, there was a reference to a 'DNTC' compensator. I did a search on this and it took me to PWS (Primary Weapon Systems), but they don't have a DNTC compensator listed. What they do have listed is the FSC556 which is "A flash suppressing version of the DNTC compensator." I'm not sure if this is what is being referenced or not, but I can find listings for a PWS DNTC compensator for sale elsewhere so I'm assuming that this is discontinued or otherwise deprecated (a word you will hear IT people use alot). <sigh>

Edited by Graham Smith

The comp mimiller1 is talking about is the LeVang, mentioned earlier. I've shot it with no protection and it's really not bad. But, doesn't do much for the recoil. I use my AR with a Miculek on it for coyote and wear plugs, I've thought about putting my electronic muffs on but the folks I hunt with would raz me heavily and the plugs do the job without being noticeable. If you're hunting alone, I'd use the electronic muffs - you get magnification of sounds around you and keep your ears warm at the same time, plus hearing protection when the gun goes bang. I've thought of wearing the muffs and when someone gives me crap, make them stand next to me while a let a few rounds rip, that would convince them!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a DPMS Levang comp on a rifle and you don't get the sound blast you do with other compensators and they're quite affordable.

I tried on this morning and it is less noise. Recoil goes pretty much straight back, but on a .223 that's not saying much. And there is almost no lateral blast to kick up dust. I thing that next week I'm going to try it prone at the long range where it will be most useful and compare it to my Miculek for both noise and kick.

I took one of the Nordic Tactical comps....cut off the port that would actually 'reduce' the recoil, so I only have the port that has the 3 1/8" holes in it to reduce muzzle flip. I use that upper for Deer hunting and Coyote hunting. Yeah, it's a custom job.....but it seems to work for what I want it to do. Maybe I'll talk to the boss and see if we can't offer something like that in the future. Probably not a huge demand for something like that, but would be easy to mass produce and would be inexpensive too. Personally, I got a soft spot for coyote hunters, if they are callers....they know what true hunting is. (WARNING....possible thread hi-jack content!!!) :lol:

Calling is a blast - got my first this year with a shotgun, and could have used the AR on a couple I missed on the first shot with my bolt gun!

Get to work on the Nordic Coyote Comp!

KX3 does seem to direct the sound/blast away from you.

But it is heavy and in my opinion, makes your rifle less nimble.

Also, as has been stated above, changing brakes/comps can change your POI.

The Surefire or P.O.F. both seem to offer adequate braking without increasing the blast.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get a can.

Or, could be another reason to buy a new rifle! :D

Oh, yea, I forgot who did those articles in Front Sight, but someone could ask him to do a decibel level test next time he reviews comps!

I figured this was the place to ask - I need a muzzle brake for my AR, but it does double duty as a hunting gun (Mostly Predator).

When hunting, ear protection isn't always practical, so I want one that isn't going to blow out my ear drums (of course there won't be any long strings of fire).

Any help would be appreciated.

5Shot

Ear protection should ALWAYS be practical. Even without a comp every time you fire your rifle you are damaging your hearing. Get some of the electronic muffs.

pat

Gee I'm totally surprised none of you mentioned the best brake on the planet. I cant say too much about it on this thread but go to our vendor tent. There is no doubt the Talon brake is the most effective and has a relatively quiet report (to the shooter) but dont stand beside it. Now legal in tactical as well.

• 2 months later...

Gee I'm totally surprised none of you mentioned the best brake on the planet. I cant say too much about it on this thread but go to our vendor tent. There is no doubt the Talon brake is the most effective and has a relatively quiet report (to the shooter) but dont stand beside it. Now legal in tactical as well.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the Talon Brake, do you have a link?

FWIW I have the DNTC on my 10.5" SBR, I find it effective but its pretty dang loud. A lot of that is due to the barrel length though. Fortunately it also has a mount for my YHM suppressor so it's a pretty good compramise.

ETA: Nevermind I found the video. Doesn't seem to be very effective and lord it is ugly.

Edited by Cap