Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer System Upgrade

I spoke with Gary from Dillon today and pitched him my idea for an updated primer system... He seemed very interested and we spoke for 20mins or so as I put the ideas to him. He had some rather good ideas as well, so I know we were on the same page. I'm going to get him some video of it running and some drawings and see where we go from there.

Never know... ya'll might be getting a Dillon 550 with a little Quinn in it some time down the road. :o

JT

Edited by JThompson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Gary from Dillon today and pitched him my idea for an updated primer system... He seemed very interested and we spoke for 20mins or so as I put the ideas to him. He had some rather good ideas as well, so I know we were on the same page. I'm going to get him some video of it running and some drawings and see where we go from there.

Never know... ya'll might be getting a Dillon 550 with a little Quinn in it some time down the road. :o

JT

If you need a lab rat....... :cheers:

I wouldn't even consider telling most companies about an idea I had, but these guys are just so damn good to us I figured I could trust them.

He offered any small parts I needed to build it, so I'm making a list now. What I have running is working, but I want something that looks pretty much like a finished product, before I submit it to them. Their fab shop can then polish it off and make any changes they need.

He spoke about having them fab it up, but said it would have to wait awhile because they are working hard on the 50BMG stuff right now.

One way or another, either through Dillon or me you guys will see this thing down the road. Mine should be fabbed up within a few weeks. I'll see if Dillon wants it then, or if they pass. That will determine how far down the road you guys get it.

JT

I had always assumed that the current product design was heavily based on cost reduction factors. Is this being considered as an enhancement or upgrade to the exisiting design?

I can not speak for Dillon and it's way to early to go into that realm, it might never get to that point...

It's all just one guy talking with another right now Larry.

Edited by JThompson

I had always assumed that the current product design was heavily based on cost reduction factors. Is this being considered as an enhancement or upgrade to the exisiting design?

I can not speak for Dillon and it's way to early to go into that realm, it might never get to that point...

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Will do Larry... will do. I sent off a parts list a minute ago. As soon as I get those in I'm going to refine the design.

JT

Will do Larry... will do. I sent off a parts list a minute ago. As soon as I get those in I'm going to refine the design.

JT

Very exciting! If it functions HALF as well as the awesome side-mount for my C-More, I'll have to convince Bobby to buy a 550 just so we can get a Quinn to go with it! ;)

JT

Very exciting! If it functions HALF as well as the awesome side-mount for my C-More, I'll have to convince Bobby to buy a 550 just so we can get a Quinn to go with it! ;)

Hahah... I don't think he's going to want to give up loading on those 650-1050 but I do love the 550.

Good luck at the upcoming match... I told Bobby to shoot 1k through that thing with zero failures before I would trust it. Get thyself to the range Susan. ;)

Is it for the 550 only? ...what problem does it solve?

It eliminates the sticky primer bar syndrome and all associated problems, without the need to polish, lubricate or tweak it. It will also help you to get the primer to the same seating position every time.

A lot of presses don't have an issues at all, but some users have had many issues with it, so without assigning blame, I would just like to see it go away. ;)

Edited by JThompson

It eliminates the sticky primer bar syndrome and all associated problems, without the need to polish, lubricate or tweak it. It will also help you to get the primer to the same seating position every time.

A lot of presses don't have an issues at all, but some users have had many issues with it, so without assigning blame, I would just like to see it go away. ;)

Pictures??????

Thanks

Pictures??????

Thanks

We will probably have to wait for the patents and such before he wil post pics. Wouldn't want someone stealling the idea.

• 1 month later...
Any new updates on this project?

I spoke with the machinist yesterday, as a matter of fact, he should be working on it this week and next. What we are trying to do it use, mostly, existing Dillon parts, so they won't have to retool anything. The first idea would have required them to recast their primer bar. That would take a lot of money and would probably be a deal breaker, so I redesigned it to use just a few new parts. I should have something to beta test in the next week. I might even ask for one or two of you people to help with that.

I have experienced these issues. I would be interested in one. The only problem I have had with the 550 is the sticky primer bar, and primers getting caught between the primer bar and the main rod. I hope it works out.

Randy

I have experienced these issues. I would be interested in one. The only problem I have had with the 550 is the sticky primer bar, and primers getting caught between the primer bar and the main rod. I hope it works out.

Randy

I've given that second problem a lot of thought and there is really no easy way to fix it other than to deal with the spent primer system. I've got mine tweaked pretty good and hardly ever get one anymore. There are a couple of things i would like to tackle and that is one of them.

When I get a couple fabbed up I might take one of you guys up on the request. I'll let you know soon. I want to try it on mine for a bit before I send it off to you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see an improvement to the priming system, as it is my number one headache on my 550B. The 550 is a great machine, but the priming system needs a little help. If it works good, I think you will be able to sell a lot of them! I'll certainly take one.