Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computers

HSMITH

My home PC went TU a couple days ago. Lost a hard drive about six months ago. Lost a ton of info then and it appears that this time I lost the hard drive as well as the main board. Lost ALL of my gun related info this time. And the kids ate all the Flintstones push-up pops while I was gone.....

Good news is a good friend is an IT Pro and he is making my new computer. Dual hard drives so that if one dies I am still OK and I will couple that with am external drive to back up all data. I have learned my lesson, three non-permanent copies of important information is the absolute minimum. I can handle replacing a drive and moving on, I am DONE losing data!!!!!

Redundant data backups are a good thing. I dropped a drive the other day and killed it. Not quite 500 gigs of stuff lost. :angry2: At least none of it was critical. What really torques me off is I was moving drives around so I could back it up!!

If your really serious...don't forget an off site copy...safe deposit box is a good place

I bought a 500GB USB-powered drive yesterday for $100. It wasn't the cheapest they had either. plug and play even on a mac - :devil:

I can't bitch about the computer itself much, it was almost 9 years old. I spent a ton of money to buy the latest and greatest you could get at the time and it served me well for a long long time. About 5 years ago I put an additional hard drive in because the incredibly huge 20GB I would never EVER be able to fill up was full LOL, and about the same time I bumped it up to 768 ram if I remember right. The memory was hundreds of dollars more when I bought the computer and was less than $40 for a 512 to replace one of the 256 chips a couple years later. One monitor, one ethernet card and one video card had to be replaced. All in all it was as good as a computer gets, including Macs. It was powered down less than 30 days total in all that time, and after I got XP to replace Millenium it never even got rebooted more than once a month or so.

I wanted a Mac this time but what I am getting would be TRIPLE the cost in a Mac, and they damn sure aren't 3 times better. I tried hard to find better prices and justify the cost, but couldn't.

I am more mad at myself for not securing the data better, I hadn't been keeping up with back ups and I got nailed. Had I done my part it would be a minor inconvenience and that is all. Complacency.....

buy a mac

Because macs don't have hard drive failures. That's why time machine as a product was canceled. Backups are unnecessary with macs.

As for issues with hard drives, when 80gigs on a single platter was the norm, MTBF was listed as 5 years, and you were lucky if you got 50% of that. now that you have the aerial density of drives that are 500gb, 1 TB, 1.5TB on a single platter, that isn't getting any better. There's a reason why most HDs ship with a 1 year warranty and even the better ones only have a 3 year warranty.

Personally, for stuff I REALLY can't afford to lose, I use flash memory. It's portable, easily locked up, getting cheaper by the day, and relatively easy to destroy in a manner that does not permit recovering data.

PC or Mac, both have drive failures....use an online backup service and don't worry about it.

and as far as a desktop USB drive, what are you going to do if you have a flood, fire, or someone drops it in the tub.

www.mozy.com is what I use and I am in the Storage business....

I've been using computers to a greater or lesser degree since 1972 and I can only tell you that the only computer than never has a problem is the one that is never used. And even with as long as I have been doing this, I still have days where I want to damn all computers to eternal hell fire for ever having been invented.

Even with redundant disks, even with off-site storage, even with disk images, even with everything you can do, stuff will get lost. We have backups of old stuff on media that is no longer supported. Even CDs and DVDs degrade with time. And no matter how hard you try, there will be times that you will lose work when something gets fubared between now and the time you last backed it up.

All I can suggest is to make sure that you have frequent backups stored safely. If you don't at least have a waterproof, fire-resistant box for your periodic backups, you are not safe.