Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I copy shooter info

wooddog

How do I go about getting the shooter info from the old to the new. The old computre works, but not well and I had to install on a different new computer . Can I copy and e-mail myself the file(s) I need.

Tim (not computer Savvy so keep all answers simple) Kent

How do I go about getting the shooter info from the old to the new. The old computre works, but not well and I had to install on a different new computer . Can I copy and e-mail myself the file(s) I need.

I think what your wanting is the masternames file. It should be under your main harddrive, C?, under USPSA, and Ezwin. You could open your start menu and do a search for master. Then I think you could email it to yourself and have it on the other computer. I'm going to start backing up that file myself. Somewhere between last months scores and this month I lost my master so I'll have to enter everybody from scratch :angry2:

Just use windows explorer, copy or "send to" the files you want to a memory stick, then

paste them to EzWin on the new computer.

All the shooter info is in a file called "masternames.db" I believe.

Open "My Computer" on old machine. Open "C Drive" - Open "Program Files" - Open "USPSA" - Open "EzWinScore"

Copy the following files (if present) onto a USB drive.

backupmasternames.db

masternames.db

newmasternames.db

uspsaclasses.db

They may not end in ".db" depending on your computer settings. Computer may ask if you really want to copy these "read only" files. The answer is yes.

Remove USB drive & insert into new machine.

Open "My Computer" on old machine. Open "C Drive" - Open "Program Files" - Open "USPSA" - Open "EzWinScore"

Copy same files to this folder. Since they already exist here, the computer asks if you really want to replace the files. The answer is yes.

Hope that helps

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

What if you wanted to merge one clubs db file with another? Doable, or too much trouble?
I took a quick look at the files and they are real database (Sybase) files, so there would be no way to merge them using simple text manipulation in standard editors. I don't know enough about Sybase to try it with other tools.

Version 3.00 and above installs into c:\USPSA, instead of c:\Program Files\USPSA

This was done to get around some of the "features" of Windows Vista that made copying masternames.db and other things like it problematic at best.

This is probably something that only I would like, but I'd like to have the ability to choose between multiple databases when entering shooters in a match. We have basically the same crowd attend our local matches each month, and then a much larger and more varied group that comes in for our state championship each year. It would be nice if I could separate those two out or maybe have a show/hide option. Set a flag on some entries as "locals" and then have the option of only displaying locals in the masterdb. That would save me probably two minutes or more once a month... ok, so it prolly isn't worth anyone's time to make me happy but... yah, to dream.

John, that would be nice, but even better would be the ability to enter data into a field and have it populate.

Start typing the last name or USPSA number and not have to click back and forth to populate a match.

Even better would be some way to import a comma delineated list of shooters to EZ and then have a series of drop boxed for division and pf so that those fields could be corrected easily from one sheet again rather than going out an d back every time.

Jim

This is probably something that only I would like, but I'd like to have the ability to choose between multiple databases when entering shooters in a match. We have basically the same crowd attend our local matches each month, and then a much larger and more varied group that comes in for our state championship each year. It would be nice if I could separate those two out or maybe have a show/hide option. Set a flag on some entries as "locals" and then have the option of only displaying locals in the masterdb. That would save me probably two minutes or more once a month... ok, so it prolly isn't worth anyone's time to make me happy but... yah, to dream.

You think you would love this. . . I currently have 2554 shooters in the master database file. Having to scroll through all the names I only see once a year at Summer Blast/Area 8 or Tennessee State, in order to select the 50 shooters at the local match, is a pain. Letters like B, C, D, H, M, S & T (which is where my longest list of names are located) are a real pain, because you cannot enter a few leading letters to jump to the correct portion of the list (see Jim's post above).

Also, It bugs me to have to use the mouse to scroll through the list. If I'm on the keyboard, it is a lot of wasted motion to keep reaching for the mouse. I am all about the speed & avoiding wasted motion. If anyone knows a keyboard shortcut for selecting shooters at registration from the list, please share. "Tab" will not get you there.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

Also, It bugs me to have to use the mouse to scroll through the list. If I'm on the keyboard, it is a lot of wasted motion to keep reaching for the mouse.

Wasted motion? Forgive me, but (and I'm just asking), when you're in Competitor Registration and use the mouse to click on the Select from Master tab and then use the mouse to click on the appropriate last name letter tab,..... don't you already have your hand on the mouse?

Copy the following files (if present) onto a USB drive.

backupmasternames.db

masternames.db

newmasternames.db

uspsaclasses.db

Actually, all you need to copy is masternames.db. That's where all your guys are.

Newmasternames is a file created as part of the conversion process from 2.x to 3.x. it's used once and never touched again. Backupmasternames doesn't even exist on my system; I'm guessing you just made a backup as some point before doing a major update or other.

And uspsaclasses.db is a cumulative file that contains the current month's downloaded classification updates. The system just keeps tacking the newest month's data onto the end of the file, so this file keeps getting bigger and bigger. It's actually a good idea to copy over this file with the original empty uspsaclasses.db file from the cdrom once in a while to reset it back to it's original size. I haven't done this in awhile, and so mine is currently pushing 10mg in size.

Also, It bugs me to have to use the mouse to scroll through the list. If I'm on the keyboard, it is a lot of wasted motion to keep reaching for the mouse.

Wasted motion? Forgive me, but (and I'm just asking), when you're in Competitor Registration and use the mouse to click on the Select from Master tab and then use the mouse to click on the appropriate last name letter tab,..... don't you already have your hand on the mouse?

Yes you do, but you have to scroll through a crap load of names. And you had to go to the mouse in the first place where if you could use all keyboarding it would be much faster.

Jim

I used the export registration information , under reports , saved it to a file and put it on a CD as a back up.

I not a computer guy so I don't know if you can put it back in the same way.

Brent

I used the export registration information , under reports , saved it to a file and put it on a CD as a back up.

I not a computer guy so I don't know if you can put it back in the same way.

Brent

You can't really get it back in that way. Best thing to do is just copy the masternames.db file off to somewhere. Export registration information exists so that you can create spreadsheets that you can feed into other applications (like the mailmerge wizard in msword) for mass-mailing to your competitors and such.

Yes you do, but you have to scroll through a crap load of names. And you had to go to the mouse in the first place where if you could use all keyboarding it would be much faster.

I just don't see it. Registering competitors is not scored comstock, and I'm sorry but I don't see that it's really any slower to point and click people out of an alphabetical list, regardless of its size. Especially when you look at a guy's name and know he's in masternames.db because you recognize it. Hell, I gripe when I have to leave the masternames list to manually type in a new name (I shouldn't; it represents a new customer that's come out to play) and if I had my wish, I'd have the entire USPSA membership list in masternames. (That, of course, isn't going to happen!)

Now, entering scores? THAT'S scored comstock as it were, and THAT needs to be (and is) a keyboard-only exercise, though the capability for using a mouse is retained for those who wish it.

I just don't see it. Registering competitors is not scored comstock, and I'm sorry but I don't see that it's really any slower to point and click people out of an alphabetical list, regardless of its size. Especially when you look at a guy's name and know he's in masternames.db because you recognize it. Hell, I gripe when I have to leave the masternames list to manually type in a new name (I shouldn't; it represents a new customer that's come out to play) and if I had my wish, I'd have the entire USPSA membership list in masternames. (That, of course, isn't going to happen!)

Now, entering scores? THAT'S scored comstock as it were, and THAT needs to be (and is) a keyboard-only exercise, though the capability for using a mouse is retained for those who wish it.

Bill, I suppose we can agree to disagree. Look at it this way. If all the reg was done on the form instead of bouncing out and back between the list and the form when a new customer showed up, all you'd have to do is enter him. virtually no mouse work. Right now, you have to click out to the list and then drag the scroll bar down to the name, click the name then select the division and make any other changes. If you could go to the masternames and type even it would be faster, fist letter opens the appropriate alpha list, then a down arrow to the shooter, or continue to type S-M-I gets you to Smith..., S only gets you to the top of a list with 200 names. then you have to also deal with 25 Smith, J... so entry by typing in the USPSA number would also be a boone. Now I have only to know that an A member might also be a TY or a FY. I am reasonably sure we could do away with the need for even entering the prefix. If we have an A, TY, FY, L, C, CA, CL, and B all with the number 20, we still now only would need to select from the very few visible names.

As for scoring, we are getting used to running our indoor match using the Stage Score system. pretty much like a paper scoresheet. We will go live at our regular match as soon as we get the pre-registration down.

I can score our indoor match in about 5 minutes after the last shot is fired as opposed to the next day. Electronics are the way to go in this. All we need is a simple, inexpensive way to print a receipt at each stage. We do not have power available at the range. But this is a drift to a different animal.

Jim

so entry by typing in the USPSA number would also be a boone. Now I have only to know that an A member might also be a TY or a FY. I am reasonably sure we could do away with the need for even entering the prefix. If we have an A, TY, FY, L, C, CA, CL, and B all with the number 20, we still now only would need to select from the very few visible names.

That falls apart when someone converts to a life membership and gets a whole new number.

so entry by typing in the USPSA number would also be a boone. Now I have only to know that an A member might also be a TY or a FY. I am reasonably sure we could do away with the need for even entering the prefix. If we have an A, TY, FY, L, C, CA, CL, and B all with the number 20, we still now only would need to select from the very few visible names.

That falls apart when someone converts to a life membership and gets a whole new number.

Actually it shouldn't. How many duplicate number suffixes are there> Taking the list above we'd have at most 8, maybe a coule I missed, but so what? We only have to look through this maximum number in how many instances? probably less than one a match. In most cases we'd see the shooter as a single entry.

One other thing, I am not suggesting that the USPSA Number be the only live field to search. We could do this: Last Name, Type in Smith, get a 250 return, then tab to number and type in USPSA number. Select the division, make any changes, click 'Alt-E' (as an example) to enter the shooter, screen automatically advances to blank to start next entry. In the case of a shooter in the DB with no number, tab into and out of the number field, you get the return only of those Smiths without a USPSA number.

I see fewer errors and much reduced data entry time.

Better yet. Add pre-Registration. to the system. Some form where we can get all the shooters in the match to send in their info in a form. The form dumps into a csv database with FName, LName, Div, USPSA #, PF Class Etc that info is imported directly to EzWinScore and then the squadding is done and sent out to the Palms. Gets any easier and the system will shoot htehmatch!

Jim

Actually it shouldn't.

Actually it does. If I have a USPSA number of A34567 and upgrade to a life membership, I get a whole new number like L3405. The numbers aren't even close to one another.

Well, I can see something that would function similar to how you currently select competitors for actually entering scores, either by name or comp#.

post-2179-1238860958_thumb.jpg

So when you go into Competitor Registration, you would still have the Select from Master tab, but you could also accomplish much the same thing from the Competitor Info tab. The list on the left, populated from masternames.db, would be selectable by alphabetical lname/fname or by numeric part of uspsa number.

You could register people by name:

post-2179-1238860974_thumb.jpg

Typing lname,fname until you got close to who you wanted and then use the arrow keys to fine-tune your selection, then hit enter to bring his particulars up on the screen into the appropriate text boxes

Or you could register people by number (If I had this, that's what I would do; I'd NEVER register people by typing names)

post-2179-1238860986_thumb.jpg

Here, you'd type the numeric part of the uspsa number and hit enter when you found your guy to fill in the boxes. (Makes absolutely no allowances for life or benefactor members.)

Then change things as you want (you might actually have to use the much-hated mouse to do that!), and then, similar to score entry, hit + to focus control to the Save cmdbutton, then hit enter to actually register the competitor. I wouldn't be opposed to that, it might work well, and I could suggest it if we want (or you could suggest it yourself to Roger Maier or Rob Boudrie), with no warranties implied as to whether it'll get considered or not given the current ezws projects going on.

What you haven't considered, however, is how to select the guy's division, which you currently pick in what I think is quite an efficient manner in the existing system. (Find your guy from the lists, pick his division, and hit the Register cmdbutton.) Here, I suppose we could populate the Division and Class dropdowns with the guy's registered classes from masternames.db (with all the associated file i/o that entails) but (Oh Dear!) then you'd have to use that damned mouse again.

And just so we're all clear on what we're talking about, I went through an exercise to time the registration of a competitor in ezwinscore. (Watch the clock!)

post-2179-1238862197_thumb.png

You know,....it just doesn't seem to me to be as slow as some folks think. But I can see doing it the other way, too.

Bill,

Your idea of the drop down list is not a bad one. It would answer I think if I understand you most of what we are asking for. We area also looking into total pre-reg for our matches and I believe there may be a crack to import a csv file to EZ that will allow that. With this crack and your idea we'd about have it made. Unless we go to a barcode or mag strip on the membercard and just scan the shooters in.

Jim

You can do it; I just never advise people to jab ezws in the side with a fork by using some external database program unless they really, REALLY know what they're doing, as I've seen too many match files shredded beyond repair doing things like this. The 2003 MOR Nationals was damned near lost because of this; the match file was trashed, the awards hadn't been presented yet, the scoresheets had already been thrown away, and I had to recreate the match from the verify sheets that I just happened to find in another trash can. The 2003 3-Gun Nationals was almost another victim. We couldn't print stage results at the end of the first day because of external tinkering ahead of time. Lot's of sql UPDATE's to fix that mess.

If you're going to do it, just be damned sure your competitor numbers start with 1 and go up incrementally one whole number at a time, that is, you CANNOT skip from comp#3 to comp#5 and expect the system to work; it won't. Been there; seen that.

This is more like what I had in mind. This is the protype program I got from David Olhasso (World Class Steel Scorer). We use it for Steel Challenge Matches, pending the approved program from USPSA.

After I type in "B," I get all the names with B. Then I type "R" & get all names with "BR" and finally "BRO" narrows it down enough for me to select a name.

Tab gets me to the name list & arrow down selects the correct name.

Tab again to select the correct "division" using arrow down.

Tab twice to select "add to Match"

Tab back to list to type next name.

post-5346-1238893897_thumb.jpg

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

• 11 months later...