Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun for 1911 devotee

bbbean

OK, so I've read most of the "Hot Production Ticket" thread, but I want to know which of the hot production guns are closest to the 1911 in grip angle, trigger, and feel?

FWIW, I had a Glock and gave it to my son. A fine gun but not the ticket for me. I'm assuming it comes down to the M&P, XD, and the new STI Frankengun. Am I missing some other contender?

The Para LDA is a double action 1911 that is legal in Production. The grip angle of a Springfield XD is very similar to a 1911 and so transitioning between an XD and a 1911 should not be an issue. Hope this helps.

I am pretty devoted to the 1911. I find the XD to fit my style better than a Glock, CZ or Sig. I have not shot the M&P very much. All are fine and I would adapt to each if I shot it more but I find less of a issue when I switch back and forth from 1911 to XD.

I am pretty devoted to the 1911. I find the XD to fit my style better than a Glock, CZ or Sig. I have not shot the M&P very much. All are fine and I would adapt to each if I shot it more but I find less of a issue when I switch back and forth from 1911 to XD.

I go back and forth between a Government-size 1911 and the M&P Pro. The M&P trigger can be made to feel pretty close to a 1911 with the exception of the large take-up on the M&P. The bigger issue for me is the grip angle. The M&P is much closer to the 1911 than any of the Glocks that I tried. I can adjust fairly quickly going back and forth now.

the closest production gun I've found to the 1911, is latest version of the gun that was designed to replace it in the 1950's.

the 3rd gen. smith and wesson autos.

grip angle, slide catch, mag released and SA trigger re-set are very close to a 1911. the SA trigger re-set is very short and if you looked at the SA hammer hooks and sear, it looks like they copied the 1911 hook height and sear angles and put them in a DA trigger system.

best of all, because the 1st and 2nd gen guns were junk, you can get a 3rd gen police trade in gun fairly cheap.

I am a 1911 shooter

I have tried Glocks, Sigs, CZ, SW 3 gen, M&P's and for me a CZ SP01 with the upswept beavertail (the CZ 75/85 don't have it) is the best fit I can find. You will need trigger work, out of the box the trigger sucks, but can be made to be pretty nice, with a real nice single action and a very small reset. You still have the DA pull on first shot, takes a little to get used to. This is not a trigger to slap like you can with a 1911, you have to get use to the reset and ride it, but overall recoil and accuracy is great.

+1 XDs are by far the best fit. I am also a 1911 shooter. And the XD trigger can be done just like 1911 trigger.