Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy a Dillon 550?

PistolPete

I'm an open shooter and I currently have a 1050 setup for my .38 super major loads and a 650 that I have for my .38 super steel loads. I swap the 650 back and forth to .40 and some other calibers. I'm thinking of getting a 550 for .40 and for any other odd ball loads I shoot. I hate swapping calibers and prefer to a have a press setup for what I need. What are your thoughts? :cheers:

Thanks,

Pete

I'm an open shooter and I currently have a 1050 setup for my .38 super major loads and a 650 that I have for my .38 super steel loads. I swap the 650 back and forth to .40 and some other calibers. I'm thinking of getting a 550 for .40 and for any other odd ball loads I shoot. I hate swapping calibers and prefer to a have a press setup for what I need. What are your thoughts? :cheers:

Thanks,

Pete

I'm sure there will be others with much more experience, but my .02 worth of input would be that if money were not an issue, then a 550 might fit the bill. If you have several different calibers, it might be less expensive in the long run to get another 650, as you would not have to buy extra sets of dies, conversion kits, etc. If you would have to buy the dies, toolheads, etc, it might be better to go ahead and get the 550.

Just my thoughts,

redintex

Depending on how many different calibers you are loading, it might be faster to swap on the 550 without a casefeed. You can not go wrong with the 550.

Get several 550's if you do not want to change calibers ;)

Randy

I find I can't really get comfortable behind the smaller presses.

If it was me, I'd invest in more brass and instead of dicking around with a second or third press, I'd just load more ammo on the 1050.

I know it's a buzz kill to switch, but I just test the snot out of a load, then stick with it. I'm sitting on a years practice ammo already and I've only just shot the first match of the season.

Just get another 1050, get it on the payment plan & tell your wife it is 550 after you show her the first billing!

Then be sure to hide the rest of the statements when they come in.................

or

You can do what I did, collect some new or used square deals for those odd ball, misc. calibers......

no fuss, no muss, set & forget it.

Let's see, I got one for .45, .40, 38 Super, 9MM, .38spl, and I just set one up for .38 long colt.

It is just to hard to switch stuff around..... B)

Edited by 9x21

I'm an open shooter and I currently have a 1050 setup for my .38 super major loads and a 650 that I have for my .38 super steel loads. I swap the 650 back and forth to .40 and some other calibers. I'm thinking of getting a 550 for .40 and for any other odd ball loads I shoot. I hate swapping calibers and prefer to a have a press setup for what I need. What are your thoughts?

If you have what you say you have; Put the drink down now, you have what you need. Load a few thousands of what you want and change. If you use a 1050 or a 650 and go to a 550 you are not going to be happy.

or

You can do what I did, collect some new or used square deals for those odd ball, misc. calibers......

no fuss, no muss, set & forget it.

Let's see, I got one for .45, .40, 38 Super, 9MM, .38spl, and I just set one up for .38 long colt.

It is just to hard to switch stuff around..... B)

Why not just sell me 2 of those SDB's??? HAHA

How do you like those? I am lazy and frigen hate switching things around. I would rather just have everything setup and ready to go when I need it. Now that I'm shooting IDPA and other things instead of open I need to have more variety. You're going to be impressed with me this year. I'm going to shoot some limited and even production at some of the matches. I won't be doing this though until after the Area 7 match. Plus, I'm going to hit 1 IDPA match each month as well. I'm going to be a busy bee....

I am lazy and frigen hate switching things around. I would rather just have everything setup and ready to go when I need it.

That's exactly why I think the SQDeal is a perfect second or third machine.

Nobody hates to reload more than me, so that's why I have so much stuff.

The SQDeals are easy to use, auto index (very impotant, if you never loaded on a 550) and produce quality bullets at a decent rate.

The only thing I hate more than reloading is getting too far ahead on loaded ammo.

Tastes, pistols, and trends change. I have ammo cans full of stuff I got too far ahead on, and don't use anymore.

I'll use it up eventually, just pinking.

I have found good used SQD's for under $300. ( a new one is 360ish I think)

It's a real time saver when I get a whim to shoot something like ICORE or IDPA revo, some times .38 super ESP, etc, etc...

Besides, both my 1050's are set up for 9x21, one for major, one for minor.

It's just too much work to change the powder measure :goof:

Edited by 9x21

Thanks,

Pete

I don't understand your reasoning very well. Is it that you would have to switch to another primer size for the other calibers? If thats the case then I would just get another 650 and set it up for LP. Then caliber conversions are easy, just a toolhead/shellplate swap. Or am I missing something?

The other option is the get two 550's one in Large Pistol the other in Small Pistol. 550 caliber conversions are easy if the primer setup doesn't need changed.

Edited by 98sr20ve

OK,

I have 2 1050s and one 650.

Set up is as follows:

1050 #1 .40 I have multiple powder measures and a Micrometer seating die. This takes care of Major, Minor, Steel and Production loads. One set-up for the primer feed.

1050 #2 .38 SuperComp, again multiple powder measures, Steel and major loads, one press.

650, everything else. I change this one over when I want a limited run of a particular load. Right now it is set up for .45 ACP. I may get another 1050 for .45 if I really get into SS. The 650 will then probably relegate to 9mm, .38 spl and other occasionals. If I get into loading for rifle, then I could arguably go for a 4th 1050.

Jim

In a perfect world, we would all have a 1050 with a bullet feeder for every caliber we shoot! :rolleyes:

For me,

It is shooting I enjoy and reloading is just a means to that end.

My free time is valuable, so multiple machines make the most sense for me.

Many love to reload as much as shoot, and that is great also.

I'm an open shooter and I currently have a 1050 setup for my .38 super major loads and a 650 that I have for my .38 super steel loads. I swap the 650 back and forth to .40 and some other calibers. I'm thinking of getting a 550 for .40 and for any other odd ball loads I shoot. I hate swapping calibers and prefer to a have a press setup for what I need. What are your thoughts?

If you have what you say you have; Put the drink down now, you have what you need. Load a few thousands of what you want and change. If you use a 1050 or a 650 and go to a 550 you are not going to be happy.

+1

Why take a step down in performance? At the very least get another 650.