Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well does your gun fit in the box

Pigdawg

Yeah, I wouldn't be too happy having my gun pointed at me and held up like that.

NS. That and what if the gun fell out!!!

Yeah, that's the part I was talking about being held up like that. I don't exactly baby my guns, but I also don't want unnecessary abuse either.

I know these guys and they're conscientious, safe shooters. Since we weren't there and the camera angle such that its hard to discern an unsafe situation, let's give our fellow brothers in arms the benefit of the doubt.

The gun in question is probably the single gamiest IDPA gun on the planet. Its superlative in every capacity... heaviest, shiniest, most expensive, and obviously biggest. The fact that it BARELY fits the box is the irony of the whole thing. He's pushed the envelope in every direction. I'm fairly certain that it gets a FTDR just on principle. :P:D

I know these guys and they're conscientious, safe shooters. Since we weren't there and the camera angle such that its hard to discern an unsafe situation, let's give our fellow brothers in arms the benefit of the doubt.

The gun in question is probably the single gamiest IDPA gun on the planet. Its superlative in every capacity... heaviest, shiniest, most expensive, and obviously biggest. The fact that it BARELY fits the box is the irony of the whole thing. He's pushed the envelope in every direction. I'm fairly certain that it gets a FTDR just on principle. :P:D

I don't see anything that calls for "the benefit of the doubt" in the way the gun was handled in the box or on the hanging scale. That demonstrated a lack of respect for the gun, the property of another, and may well show a DQ offense by the guy holding the box.

On the other hand, the gun fit the box and to suggest an "FTDR just on principle" runs counter to the notion (in the rule book) that the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt. If you don't want to shoot a gun that MEETS all of the rules, then don't use one.

I have seen enough inaccurate boxes and only one that was 100% correct every time, under all conditions.

The rules are subjective enough. The gun handling by match officials was irresponsible. Arbitrary penalties or the attitude that would suggest them are detrimental to the future of IDPA. Very shortly, this could into a X versus Y debate.

And, the grip safety did not work. To be fair, the gun just came back from the smith, but still, it was pretty funny.

I was told my CCF was over weight, but when we finally got across the fact that 43 oz. is 2 lbs 11 oz., all the BS went away. My pistol was built to 42 oz. just to make sure none of this would happen.

Such a tight fit in the box is tough for in the box starts, but as long as it fits........

I don't see anything that calls for "the benefit of the doubt" in the way the gun was handled in the box or on the hanging scale. That demonstrated a lack of respect for the gun, the property of another, and may well show a DQ offense by the guy holding the box.

Not your call. The guy that OWNS the gun was standing there laughing the loudest.

The rules are subjective enough. The gun handling by match officials was irresponsible. Arbitrary penalties or the attitude that would suggest them are detrimental to the future of IDPA. Very shortly, this could into a X versus Y debate.

Easy Cowboy. It was a joke.

And, the grip safety did not work. To be fair, the gun just came back from the smith, but still, it was pretty funny.

Jim,

I spoke with Gunnar about it and he indicated that he thought it was functioning when it arrived. I was on the phone with him last night, walking him through disassembly and getting an idea of how much it was off... apparently, the tab is missing the bow by thousandths of an inch. He was going to try and peen a little material down.

I can't understand why anyone would suppose that the CCF wasn't legal. Does anyone think that you're not 100% aware of the rules and your compliance?

Not your call. The guy that OWNS the gun was standing there laughing the loudest.

Just where is that sort of gun handling funny? I know it is Virginia, but where exactly?

Cowboy.

Let's just back this little train up. This video was posted as a bit of humor. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a gun fit that tight in a box? I know everyone of the people involved in said video. The owner of the pistol had it custom made to just barely fit the box and just barely make weight. He did this to help reduce recoil. The really funny thing about that is that he is about 6'6" and 225 lbs and the gun is a 9mm. Hence, that's the reason for the light ribbing of him.

None of the people involved in this video are in any way unsafe shooters to be around.

So, to quote the movie "Stripes", "Lighten up, Francis".

Brett

Hmm....Cool video posting fail. :)

The safety aspect doesn't really bother me - it's clear they're screwing around with an unloaded gun that fits very tightly in the box, and maybe someone had a muzzle pointed at them, but that happens every time I've eaten lunch at a range where shooters are seated. Etc

But it's just not that funny -- OR unusual -- having a pistol that fits THAT tightly in the box; a couple of mine are snug and I have to squish the Bo-Mar's, and I freakin' hate box starts. Why you'd intentionally try to push the absolute limits is odd. The things aren't exactly atomic clock precise. So the video ends up being an inside joke to those that know the wacky feller's, and otherwise unintentionally disturbing and not really funny, to those that don't.

Just where is that sort of gun handling funny? I know it is Virginia, but where exactly?

Cowboy.

Let's just back this little train up. This video was posted as a bit of humor. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a gun fit that tight in a box? I know everyone of the people involved in said video. The owner of the pistol had it custom made to just barely fit the box and just barely make weight. He did this to help reduce recoil. The really funny thing about that is that he is about 6'6" and 225 lbs and the gun is a 9mm. Hence, that's the reason for the light ribbing of him.

None of the people involved in this video are in any way unsafe shooters to be around.

So, to quote the movie "Stripes", "Lighten up, Francis".

Brett

WOAH wait just one minute. He is shooting a STI 2011 right? He is shooting a 9mm right? He is shooting in ESP right? That is a lot of weight added to just barely make it lol.

Apparently in the part they were standing, since they were all laughing.

I'm guessing Rivanna. You can hear Adam over everyone.

Adam could have at Rivanna and everyone else at cav and you'd still hear him!

LOL no kidding.

I still laugh at the fact they had "The Hammer" running the indoor stages at the Commonwealth Cup last year.