Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ro Re-certification?

twix

I am "Certified" in my profession and must attend "X" number of seminars/educational programs to maintain during a five year period to maintain my certification. It may be asking too much from a volunteer organization, but I think it might be beneficial to have ROs attend at least one rules seminar or RO course every five years just for an update on the rules.

It may be asking too much from a volunteer organization, but I think it might be beneficial to have ROs attend at least one rules seminar or RO course every five years just for an update on the rules.

Overall, I agree, but I'm not quite sure how to pull this off. About a year ago there was an L1 RO course held in our Area, and I asked the instructor about attending. I figured that partly I might be able to help out a little, and secondly, that I just wanted to sit through the material again. As we all know, reading the rulebook is helpful, but when you get a bunch of people in a room talking about things, you always find some of the weird stuff that isn't particularly clear in the rulebook. Anyway, my request was turned down because it goes against NROI policy (which I can understand).

Maybe we could do something tied into a Nationals or other big match where people have already traveled in for the event?? Unfortunately, I don't know how well this would be attended. The fact of the matter is that this is a volunteer organization, and many people take the L1 RO course just to better understand the rules, or to help their local club. In other words, they want a good overview of the rules, but not necessarily a thorough understanding of them.

I think the best way to learn the rules are to take the L1 RO course, and also, the L2 CRO course........ spend plenty of time in the rulebook......... spend time in places like this forum....... and to volunteer to work at least one big match every year. The issue with working the big matches is that first, experience is the best teacher you will find, and second, you will be working with so many knowledgable people that you can learn from (I think that there were something like eight certified Rangemasters working as CRO's in Bend).

Anyway, I am always looking for ways to improve my rules knowledge and general RO skills, so I will be interested in any ideas posted here.

It may be asking too much from a volunteer organization, but I think it might be beneficial to have ROs attend at least one rules seminar or RO course every five years just for an update on the rules.

About a year ago there was an L1 RO course held in our Area, and I asked the instructor about attending. Anyway, my request was turned down because it goes against NROI policy (which I can understand).

Hmmm... I can't.

I just attended a L1 RO class this weekend as a refresher. I guess I didn't tell anyone that I was already certified (my last L1 RO class was in 1993). I had taken about three years off from IPSC and wanted to get a review of the new rules. It was great.

Brian,

I always conduct an RO Refresher course in Hong Kong each time a new rulebook is published. The primary function is to highlight the changes, but it invariably becomes a general Q&A session, and it's proven to be very useful. I'll also be holding a session in Macau soon.

I did the same thing in the Philippines earlier this year, and what was supposed to be a 2 hour "rulebook update" thing, turned into an 8 hour "Hey, let's beat the crap outta Vinny" thing. :blink:

Jokes aside, it was a very useful "train the trainers" session, and we're doing another one soon to cover the next rulebook.

Brian,

Two things about the L1 RO class. One, though I appreciated your offer to help teach the class, NROI Instructors teach the class. Two, there is no problem with sitting in on a class, but this class was projected to be 35 students, which is about the maximum that one Instructor can handle. So, to preserve spaces for new RO students, I requested that you not sit in on the class.

Sorry about the miscommunication.

Arnie

Arnie, the miscommunication was probably on my end. I wasn't volunteering to help 'teach' the class. I just volunteered to help you keep an eye on things since there were so many students, AND figured that I could pick up some stuff that I may have forgotten. That's all. I had heard from multiple people that you are one of the best NROI instructors, and unfortunately, I have never had a chance to see you in action. ;)

I've seen Arnie in action and he's truly awesome.

Of course that wasn't at an NROI class but, dammit, he's still awesome  ;)

Vince,

You better start explaining what kind of "action" you are referring to here or this thread will drift in unexpected directions :P

I always conduct an RO Refresher course in Hong Kong each time a new rulebook is published. The primary function is to highlight the changes, but it invariably becomes a general Q&A session, and it's proven to be very useful. I'll also be holding a session in Macau soon.

Vince, I agree that this is a good idea. I'm just not sure how many people would travel to attend something like this. What distances are people traveling to attend this? Also, how many people normally attend?

I've seen Arnie in action and he's truly awesome.

Of course that wasn't at an NROI class but, dammit, he's still awesome.

Well, yes, I have seen him in 'action' but just to clarify... I was talking about having him as an instructor (NROI instructor that is :D ). Somehow I missed getting him for both my L1 RO, and L2 CRO courses. Maybe he is avoiding me... :huh:

Hey, I do have a suggestion.... how about you and Arnie host an RO refresher course at Arnie and Denise's place? I'll bring a side dish.... :D

While I would certainly support the idea of needing to attend a refresher after a rules change; it can be somewhat problematic for those in less densely populated areas. I have waited for almost a year to take the Level 1 RO course and am still driving 300+ miles each way to take it. Not all of us have the financial resources to travel long distances to take a course. The only reason I can travel to the class in November is that my parents live in the area so I can stay with them. I considered the class in October which is about 300 miles away as well but the costs of motels and whatnot drove the price out of reach for me. Thankfully the Idaho SC stepped up and put together a course (Thanks Rich!).

We are constantly hearing that we need more ROs in this sport but there isn't much being done to make it easier for there to be more ROs in many regions of the country. The instructor staff is down at least one body and it seems most of the instructors live in the eastern end of the country (to me, Montana is east :P ).

Imposing an additional burden on NROI at this point just isn't fair to the fine folks that spend their weekends teaching RO courses. If NROI had an instructor in every region that might make things easier...but they don't and as near as I can tell, never have.

My 2 cents anyway.

Wow, Vince! I didn't know you cared!!! :wub:

Is the "action" you were referring to the squirt gun fight between Dino and myself at the Pan-Am?

Brian, I think you want that refresher course at my house just so you can drain that 16 gallon keg in the beermeister, since I don't drink beer anymore. :rolleyes:

Arnie

Brian, I think you want that refresher course at my house just so you can drain that 16 gallon keg in the beermeister, since I don't drink beer anymore.  :rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't know you had a Beermeister, but that would be an added incentive for people to show up!

• 2 weeks later...