Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When does a new class become effective?

bbbean

Here's the hypothetical situation. Shooter is shooting at top of his class and is one good classifier away from moving up. He shoots a classifier the week before a major match, but results aren't posted until after the major match. At the major match he wins his old classification. A week later, the results of the classifier are posted and he's moved up a class.

Was it a legit win, or should he have been bumped up to higher class at the major match?

The classification used for match results is based on the USPSA classification for each individual on the date of the match. So if you're an A shooter for the Nationals and win A for your division and then move up to master the next month whether that is "legit" or not I suppose is up for debate, but its just part of the way the system works.

And please note that the match start date may be earlier than the main match to allow staff to shoot for score. For example main match Sat/Sun, with staff shoot on Thu/Fri, so official match start is Thursday. If new classifications are posted on Friday, that is after match start, and they would not be used. It favors the shooter who just bumped classes. Same is true for age categories, age on start date is what counts.

Date of posting, not date the classifier was shot. It happened to me when I moved to B in Production.

And by posting, you mean the date is it posted on uspsa.org, correct? So a classifier shot on the 18th of the month would be come effective on the 13th or 14th of the following month when the scores are updated on the USPSA website, correct?

Date of posting, not date the classifier was shot. It happened to me when I moved to B in Production.

And by posting, you mean the date is it posted on uspsa.org, correct? So a classifier shot on the 18th of the month would be come effective on the 13th or 14th of the following month when the scores are updated on the USPSA website, correct?

Yes, that's when a club stats person first has the chance available to download to his EzWin software.

Edited by NMCOpen

Yes, that's when a club stats person first has the chance available to download to his EzWin software.

agreed, when the class can be pulled from EzWin or the USPSA site, not the date the match results are released nor the date the actual classifier was shot.

The classification files are updated monthly and posted on the USPSA site.

For a major match, the match staff...could...send their competitor list off to USPSA. And, USPSA could then run an update on the shooters in that particular match. I think USPSA will still do that for Majors, but I'm not sure many match staff realize that option has been around.

I'd say it's a legit class win.

For a major match, the match staff...could...send their competitor list off to USPSA. And, USPSA could then run an update on the shooters in that particular match. I think USPSA will still do that for Majors, but I'm not sure many match staff realize that option has been around.

The Area2 championship uses the classification update system. The apps do not even ask for class, just division and any tags.

Later,

Chuck

Here's the hypothetical situation. Shooter is shooting at top of his class and is one good classifier away from moving up. He shoots a classifier the week before a major match, but results aren't posted until after the major match. At the major match he wins his old classification. A week later, the results of the classifier are posted and he's moved up a class.

Was it a legit win, or should he have been bumped up to higher class at the major match?

Answer is: what everyone else said. Whatever the system says his class was til the date of match, or whatver their cutoff date is set to be.

Now, the part that would bother me if I was that guy, is if I knew the classifier was going to bump me, and it was just a matter of days.... regardless of technicalities, I'd still lose sleep over taking someone else's trophy.

You can always decalre yourself a higher class when you check in for the match... doubt anyone would argue with you.

Edited by sfinney

I agree with Flex, you won your class. You where X classification until the update was posted, after they posted your now Y and have to compete in the Y field.

You can always decalre yourself a higher class when you check in for the match... doubt anyone would argue with you.

That won't survive the first running of the classifications file against the competitor's database for the match.....

Members compete in whatever their class is on the first day of the match --- even if it's updated a day or two later. It may not be a perfect system, but it's a consistently repeatable one.....

That won't survive the first running of the classifications file against the competitor's database for the match.....

Members compete in whatever their class is on the first day of the match --- even if it's updated a day or two later. It may not be a perfect system, but it's a consistently repeatable one.....

Hey, I didn't say thats the rules, or how it works at majors. And lots of smaller to medium matches do not check the database.

I'm just saying what I'd want to do, instead of squeaking in "one more class win".

On those rare occasions I found myself in the published Top 20 list for my class, instead of looking at myself as a great , lets say, B shooter, I always thought of myself as the worst A, waiting for the database to catch up.

But then again, I'm one of those guys whos classification changes almost always preceded my attended Majors, going up the ladder... and then being compettitive in my class, but rarely winning it.... unlike others who always won their class, every year, and then moved up after Majors. Same pace of rising %s, just timing differences.

In all honesty now I only care how I score against the match winner, and care less about which class I may be in at any given time. Each to his own.

Your classification goes up when you get the card in the mail. Sometimes that it prior to the updating of the database. As for declaring you are in a higher class at a match, I would ask to see the USPSA card that says you are in a higher class. You can't go wrong with being accurate and asking for proof. There have been many competitors whose classification took some time to catch up with them. USPSA can only enter scores so fast, clubs are not always "johnny-on-the-spot" with send in classifiers.

Your classification goes up when you get the card in the mail. ...

Sir, Not to be confrontational, but I'm afraid you're mistaken on that one. The card you get in the mail comes only after the posting on USPSA.org. When your classification is posted there, you are that class regardless of what your card says.

fwiw

dj

I don't think that is true.

From local to Level III, I use the classification that I get for shooters from USPSA. What they declare is rather meaningless.

And please note that the match start date may be earlier than the main match to allow staff to shoot for score. For example main match Sat/Sun, with staff shoot on Thu/Fri, so official match start is Thursday. If new classifications are posted on Friday, that is after match start, and they would not be used. It favors the shooter who just bumped classes. Same is true for age categories, age on start date is what counts.

If the staff scores count as part of the match, they must be within the regular match dates. There is no requirement you let non-staff shoot on these days, however, they must be part of the posted match dates and so listed on the calendar.

Major matches have a choice when it comes to staff shoots. They can run a separate staff match (different scoresheet and start/end dates to the match), or as part of the main match. Just because everyone shooting on Thursday is staff does not mean that Thursday is "before the main match" - it's technically part of the main match if these persons scores are to be reported on the same results as the rest of the match.