Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get quick feet?

Bigpops

This past weekend my wife and I decided to finally film ourselves at a match. We have a brand new digital camera so I figured why not. Well once we got home and I played it all back, I almost returned the camera thinking it was stuck in slo-motion!

I have observed that there are a lot of accurate shooters out there. The ones that really kick butt just flat out move. I have watched many DVD's and read articles on stage breakdown, reloads etc but have yet to come across anything that specifically addresses speedy movement or how to practice mobility.

I do feel that one major hurdle for me will be to change my way of thinking. Instead of planning "shoot these, move over here and reload on the way", I will think "shoot these, get MOVING and trust that I will be reloaded by the time I reach my next reference point". ( a little Jedi mind trick on myself) The other plan is to just conditon myself more. I am 6'3, with long legs...I need to teach them to go! :roflol: I want to be a taller version of TJ! :surprise:

Any pointers or reference material would be appreciated.

BP (aka "the turtle")

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend setting up drills that require moving from one position to another. As you shoot the drill, pay attention to the split time between the two positions. Work to improve it (the same way you probably pay a great deal of attention to your draw time.

I would also recommend varying the difficulty of the targets you leave a position on and enter a position on.

On the physical skill side, you could work on shuttle runs and such.

I would recommend setting up drills that require moving from one position to another. As you shoot the drill, pay attention to the split time between the two positions. Work to improve it (the same way you probably pay a great deal of attention to your draw time.

I would also recommend varying the difficulty of the targets you leave a position on and enter a position on.

On the physical skill side, you could work on shuttle runs and such.

Thanks Ben.

I visit your website often and have watched your foot work on your videos . Impressive! You make it look easy.

Would you explain the concept of the "shuffle runs" to me? What are you looking for. I would imagine speed and smoothness??

I have practiced moving forwards and backwards with a bottle of water extended out front with the intent of keeping it all level. Is that sort of the idea with the shuffle runs?

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Bigpops

I did a quick search on Google:

Shuttle Run- Cardio

To begin this exercise stand in the middle of two lines. In this example we will use the 0, 20 and 40 yard lines. From the 20 yard line sprint to the 40 yard line and immediately back to the goal line (0 yard line). Then sprint back to the 20.

This drill will increase your agility, speed and overall quickness.

This may sound out of whack, but don't try to reload "on the way". Get the reload done before you make more than a couple of steps. It will speed you up. Watch most of the really good shooters, most times you'll see their empty mags laying very close to the place they left & the reload is done before they get any distance at all from their last shot.

Not that I'm a really good shooter but for me, that allows me to concentrate on my feet & getting in the next position correctly. If I'm trying to reload "on the way", my feet go slower, my gun is in the wrong spot, my eyes are not where they should be & I'm off balance when I arrive at the next spot. Somedays that happens & it is immediately apparent what I did wrong. I find myself trying to stuff the mag in the gun somehow & get back to shooting someway. I do not normally get good results with that method. :) It does look funny, though & I bet my face has 14 different very comical expressions :lol: as I get the reload done "on the way".

I know that isn't speeding up your feet exactly but it will help you speed up your feet. Does that make sense?

MLM

This may sound out of whack, but don't try to reload "on the way". Get the reload done before you make more than a couple of steps. It will speed you up. Watch most of the really good shooters, most times you'll see their empty mags laying very close to the place they left & the reload is done before they get any distance at all from their last shot.

Not that I'm a really good shooter but for me, that allows me to concentrate on my feet & getting in the next position correctly. If I'm trying to reload "on the way", my feet go slower, my gun is in the wrong spot, my eyes are not where they should be & I'm off balance when I arrive at the next spot. Somedays that happens & it is immediately apparent what I did wrong. I find myself trying to stuff the mag in the gun somehow & get back to shooting someway. I do not normally get good results with that method. :) It does look funny, though & I bet my face has 14 different very comical expressions :lol: as I get the reload done "on the way".

I know that isn't speeding up your feet exactly but it will help you speed up your feet. Does that make sense?

MLM

Actually, MLM, that makes a heck of a lot of sense! Thank you. :cheers: I will review some more video and watch the top shooters. (watch out Ben :rolleyes: )

That's why I love this forum. There I times I hesitate to post and get jumped on for the "lack of search" or "dumb question". Thankfully, most times it is responses like yours that makes the light bulb turn on!

Steve, I've never seen a picture or video of you, so this is sort of generic, but... Really, there's sort of a 4-way prescription.

1 - for most everyone in the game.... lose weight and get more fit. Its really the easiest way to improve power to weight ratio (which translates directly to speed). Usually, this is all about improving your daily eating, but some exercise definitely helps.

2 - get stronger, specifically in the lower body, but really everywhere. A solid exercise program that incorporates some strength training will build the power that you need to actually get in motion. You can read about what I use for this here: http://re-gun.blogspot.com/search/label/Fitness

3 - sprint drills. As Ben suggested above. Be creative - do shorter distances, with multiple turns and stuff. I like suicides, but with the marks set at 5, 10, and 15 yards (more emphasis on acceleration and deceleration, and the distances are closer to what we do in our game). Don't forgo longer, stuff, though - a set of 4 or 5 400m sprints are also good stuff.

4 - learn to use it in context. Ben mentioned paying attention to your splits between positions and start working on it. My experience with it is that I really had to learn to turn on the speed - during a stage, when I'm not shooting, flipping the switch to full throttle is not as easy as it would appear. There's a lot of box to box kind of drills you can do on the range - but I find it helps a lot to program the "full throttle" moments emphatically in my pre-stage visualization. When you stop shooting, and need to get to somewhere else to continue - GO!

For a while, you may end up getting sloppy on your entrances into positions - work on solid, smooth entries while you're doing this. A sloppy entry may cost you as much time as you gained on the run!

MLM

Actually, MLM, that makes a heck of a lot of sense! Thank you. :cheers: I will review some more video and watch the top shooters. (watch out Ben :rolleyes: )

That's why I love this forum. There I times I hesitate to post and get jumped on for the "lack of search" or "dumb question". Thankfully, most times it is responses like yours that makes the light bulb turn on!

I had/have the same issue with the reload, I asked Mike Seeklander this is the reply hope that helps.

Good Question

I got a good question that I thought I would post an answer to:

Question: My question is about reloads (speed reload USPSA)I know you (I) should reload while moving if possible which I do,but it seems I start moving too quickly and my reload is suffering(just getting it done with reload just before next position) Would it be best to get the reload done before moving quickly but still moving?

Finish reload before taking two/three steps?

Something I need to work on. Standing reloads I can do quickly it is when I know I need to get to the next position I have problems. Hope that question made sense.

Answer + Drill: To answer your question, you are right. Our priority should be getting the load done first, although we certainly do not want that to slow us down in our movement. My intent is to get the load done in about one step. This requires some attention to good technique, as well as some hard work dry fire. MY dry fire load drill is as follows. Mark a spot on the floor that represents the center of a clock. Now mark spots one big step away at 12-12 positions (1,2,3,4, etc). Now starting with the gun pointed at a target in front of you and a magazine in your pouch, do a load while stepping to one o'clock. The load should be completely done as you are bringing your second foot in. (when stepping, lead with the foot that is on the side of the direction you want to go). Now start at center and work your way around the clock. When stepping from center to 1-5 I step with the right foot first, and 7-11 with the left foot (12 and 6 you can lead with either, but I recommend non-gun foot lead when possible to minimize gun movement).

Until then, Train Hard!

- mike seeklander. 4:23:00 AM

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Steve, I've never seen a picture or video of you, so this is sort of generic, but... Really, there's sort of a 4-way prescription.

1 - for most everyone in the game.... lose weight and get more fit. Its really the easiest way to improve power to weight ratio (which translates directly to speed). Usually, this is all about improving your daily eating, but some exercise definitely helps.

2 - get stronger, specifically in the lower body, but really everywhere. A solid exercise program that incorporates some strength training will build the power that you need to actually get in motion. You can read about what I use for this here: http://re-gun.blogspot.com/search/label/Fitness

3 - sprint drills. As Ben suggested above. Be creative - do shorter distances, with multiple turns and stuff. I like suicides, but with the marks set at 5, 10, and 15 yards (more emphasis on acceleration and deceleration, and the distances are closer to what we do in our game). Don't forgo longer, stuff, though - a set of 4 or 5 400m sprints are also good stuff.

4 - learn to use it in context. Ben mentioned paying attention to your splits between positions and start working on it. My experience with it is that I really had to learn to turn on the speed - during a stage, when I'm not shooting, flipping the switch to full throttle is not as easy as it would appear. There's a lot of box to box kind of drills you can do on the range - but I find it helps a lot to program the "full throttle" moments emphatically in my pre-stage visualization. When you stop shooting, and need to get to somewhere else to continue - GO!

For a while, you may end up getting sloppy on your entrances into positions - work on solid, smooth entries while you're doing this. A sloppy entry may cost you as much time as you gained on the run!

Great! There is no magic pill or drink...I have to excercise??? :roflol:

Already there with the weight and stength program. I do apprecitiate the discriptions and I will start ASAP. (when it quits friggin snowing)

Thanks for your email the other day. I'm shaking mamma down for more money for the "gun fund" and a possible class with you! I am trying to sell it as the "second honeymoon" :rolleyes:

MLM

I had/have the same issue with the reload, I asked Mike Seeklander this is the reply hope that helps.

Good Question

I got a good question that I thought I would post an answer to:

Question: My question is about reloads (speed reload USPSA)I know you (I) should reload while moving if possible which I do,but it seems I start moving too quickly and my reload is suffering(just getting it done with reload just before next position) Would it be best to get the reload done before moving quickly but still moving?

Finish reload before taking two/three steps?

Something I need to work on. Standing reloads I can do quickly it is when I know I need to get to the next position I have problems. Hope that question made sense.

Answer + Drill: To answer your question, you are right. Our priority should be getting the load done first, although we certainly do not want that to slow us down in our movement. My intent is to get the load done in about one step. This requires some attention to good technique, as well as some hard work dry fire. MY dry fire load drill is as follows. Mark a spot on the floor that represents the center of a clock. Now mark spots one big step away at 12-12 positions (1,2,3,4, etc). Now starting with the gun pointed at a target in front of you and a magazine in your pouch, do a load while stepping to one o'clock. The load should be completely done as you are bringing your second foot in. (when stepping, lead with the foot that is on the side of the direction you want to go). Now start at center and work your way around the clock. When stepping from center to 1-5 I step with the right foot first, and 7-11 with the left foot (12 and 6 you can lead with either, but I recommend non-gun foot lead when possible to minimize gun movement).

Until then, Train Hard!

- mike seeklander. 4:23:00 AM

BK

Thanks BK...awesome drill!

Great! There is no magic pill or drink...I have to excercise??? :roflol:

Dude, I there were... :lol: I'd be eating 'em like candy! :devil:

Already there with the weight and stength program. I do apprecitiate the discriptions and I will start ASAP. (when it quits friggin snowing)

Have you got an indoor basketball court around or something? heh heh... heck, you could just shovel the driveway for time... :lol: Anything helps, in the end - and there's no time like the present! :goof:

Thanks for your email the other day. I'm shaking mamma down for more money for the "gun fund" and a possible class with you! I am trying to sell it as the "second honeymoon" :rolleyes:

Heh heh... Well... be careful what you promise "momma"... Somehow, I don't think a class will be as exciting as that first honeymoon :roflol:

Is this forum something or what? An observation. Much of what's been suggested is in the realm of efficiency. Taking the first step in the right direction is far more efficient than a few very fast ones in the wrong direction. If the stage requires you to move and draw at the same time what leg goes first? I find that pushing off with the "holster leg" and stepping with the "mag leg" to be a far quicker way of taking off and drawing. Where's your gun when you approach the next firing position? Make sure your target(s) sees your muzzle aimed when you arrive. Not the top of the ejection port :) If you have a shot before you get there, shoot. If you can engage a target when your leaving toward the next position, engage it.

Jim

The biggest thing I see with people, myself included, is not having a wide enough stance.

can you explain that a little further please?

Total exaggeration... take a look at an infield baseball player. Their feet are way wide of what we need, but they take that stance because it gives them the fastest lateral movement. They simply pull weight from the leg in the direction they want to move and push off with the opposing leg. Now bring your feet close together and try to move... if you want to go fast you have to pickup the opposing foot place it back down a short distance away and then push off while pulling weight from the foot in the direction you want to more... it's much slower and takes an extra movement. Or you can just lean and move like a sloth.

Sometime you will have to use the second method of picking up the drive leg and moving it. Say you have to start on a line and both feet have to be on the line. The fastest way to get off that line is not to lean until you fall forward. You pickup your drive leg and move it back a foot or more and plant it then drive yourself forward. Now if you weren't required to have both feet square at the line would you? No of course not, you would want one foot back to drive you off the line. Another example is when you are forced to lean around a barricade and then move in the opposite direction. You will pickup your foot and place it out in the direction you are leaning, then drive off it to move in the opposite direction.

The other big thing in a wide stance is to help manage recoil.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I think Matt Burkett once said something like "sprint as fast as you can... now remember that feeling of speed. do that in a stage".

There aren't a lot of opportunities to truly sprint distances in a stage (or if there are, it's a poor stage design), but the concept is good fo motivating you to get a move on.

Saul has something similar as well... "when it's time to run-- Run!"

Not for nothing was TJ a high school track star and TGO offered a basketball scholarship though.

The biggest thing I see with people, myself included, is not having a wide enough stance.

That is true, but in reality has little to do with agility.

Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.

Basically agility is a neurological skill and comes through practice. Agility ladders are pretty decent pieces of equipment. If power generation is an issue, that obviously needs to be worked out before you see any real success in agility.

That is true, but in reality has little to do with agility.

Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.

Basically agility is a neurological skill and comes through practice. Agility ladders are pretty decent pieces of equipment. If power generation is an issue, that obviously needs to be worked out before you see any real success in agility.

Well Jake... it helps me get my 44yr 6.1 260lbs moving. :o Some of us are past our agility days and just want to get moving as soon as we can. What I really need is to lose about 50lbs and buy a pair of new knees. :P

Edited by JThompson

Shuttle runs, stair running, Weight training (squats and dead lifts) rope jumping, all build lower body explosive power and speed.

When you exit your position and start your run, get low, put your shoulders in front of your feet and dig. Sprint like you are being chased.

Proper footwear is important too. Not enough traction and you will without thinking, automatically adjust your speed to compensate.

I think in this sport shuttle runs and squat jumps would be excellant drills to improve the strength and agility you are looking for. Most of the movement in stages are short lunges or small chunks of movement one or two steps. Shooting on the move makes up for more than shear running on most stages I think.

Also just working on exploding out of a shooting box 1 or 2 steps and then getting back in the box would be helpful also.

Shuttle runs, stair running, Weight training (squats and dead lifts) rope jumping, all build lower body explosive power and speed.

Those help with strength, but not so much with power and speed. I'd really recommend olympic lifting for that.

Jim,

I'm not saying it doesn't help get you moving, just that it doesn't necessarily help your agility. Dropping those 50 would definitely help more than just about anything else though. Get to work! ;)

Those help with strength, but not so much with power and speed. I'd really recommend olympic lifting for that.

Olympic lifting would certainly work as it is all about developing speed-strength, but I think sprinting up a set of stairs...rather than simply running up... or doing quick squats or deads rather than slow heavy ones will also help. The intention is to target fast-twitch rather than slow, so the movements can be done with that in mind.

Plyometrics are good too. Great, actually.

Plyometrics are good too. Great, actually.

+1 on plyo work... ;) Some of the agility ladder stuff is actually mildly plyometric, too (anything involving hopping). Jump has the same quality - its not what you think of when you think "plyo", but the load/unload of the jump is just that (though obviously not as strongly plyometric as box jumps and those kinds of things...)

After a class with TJ, his recommendation for me was to "get ants in my pants". Mentally, I repeat that phrase to myself sometimes. Physically, I went the route Jake mentions and got into working out with a focus on excerises requiring being explosive to complete. It has been great, I've learned how to load and propel myself into action quicker. I actually workout along side a guy that trains for USA track and field in the hurdle and long jump, his advice is right in line with Jake's.