Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Reloading Bench

abysmal

Just thought I would share a new reloading bench that I have been working on for some time now.

I took the time to photo is through each stage.

The basic bench.

You can see the support frame, the legs and the 1st table top, which is the 3/4" Oak Ply.

At this point the table has been taken apart 3 times now as we adjusted the length of the legs through a trial and error process to get the final height of the table to the most comfortable level.

We also had to trim the center legs twice to compensate for a gentle curve the table has from side to side.

Finding perfectly true lumber is just impossible.

So we shaved off 3/32nds from the center legs to bring the whole table back into plumb.

Frame is Pine.

Top is Oak

Legs are Redwood.

96 inches wide.

36 inches deep

36 inches tall to the work surface.

Bench1.jpg

Edited by abysmal

Yes, this table has massive support.

Probably far more than it will ever need.

But who knows what it might be called upon to do someday.

4 corner supports, and center support, 4x4s.

Cross braces under the table top every 16 inches, 2x4.

Bench3.jpg

Each of the legs is..

Glued in placed.

Screwed in place with 4 3 inch woodscrews.

Bolted in place with 2 caridge bolts.

Bench4.jpg

This table does NOT wabble!

Bench5.jpg

Edited by abysmal

Here we have started building the 2nd sub-frame for the lower shelf beneath the work surface.

As before, all joints are glued and screwed, so the lower shelf can hold a substancial load.

Bench6.jpg

A little extra time spent on assembly, equals years and years of good service.

Bench7.jpg

Preparing the surface of the Oak ply to bond the Melamine work surface. A good coating of Liquid Nails.

bench8a.jpg

Just laid the Melamine Playwood on top of the Oak.

bench9a.jpg

Preparing to put the edge casing on.

Had to do a little triming of the top sheet as it didn't quite match up.

Outside edge wrap, all the way around the table top, 2x4, to protect the table top edges

bench11a.jpg

The First of the edge casings to protect the plywood.

bench12a.jpg

Bolting the edge casing on to the table.

bench13a.jpg

Edited by abysmal

The finished result from just a few hours ago.

Lower shelf, 32 inches deep, inset into the support legs on the base.

Upper shelf, 12 inches deep, 18 inches above the table top.

This leaves me with 24 inches of unobstructed table surface to work with.

Still have to install the lighting, power strips and then the new Dillon Super 1050 I bought from Brian!

bench-14.jpg

I would guess that the final weight is in the 200lbs range.

Edited by abysmal

Man, that is nice! :)

Thanks.

This silly thing has taken me 6 weeks to build in my spare time.

All the while that brand new 1050 has been sitting in the box on the shelf behind it.

The polyurethane is drying on all the exposed wood surfaces right now.

Once that is done, I am going to break out the Super 1050, and take some really good measurements of the mouting base.

A buddy of mine said he will mill me a block of Stainless Steel that I can mount to the table, and then mount the press onto.

Should "Look" very sweet when its done.

You're planning to bolt that to the wall still, right?

I know you're pretty much certain it isn't necessary. So was I - mine was even heavier than yours. I waited a long time to bolt it to the wall.

Bolt it to the wall.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I know you're pretty much certain it isn't necessary. So was I - mine was even heavier than yours. I waited a long time to bolt it to the wall.

Bolt it to the wall.

No, honestly I had not even considered it.

The table is probably close to 300 lbs.

And when I add 10,000rds of .308 to the lower shelf, I am guessing 700-800lbs.

Is there REALLY any reason to bolt it at that point?

If you dont bolt it to the wall you will look back on this day and ask yourself why I didnt just bolt the damn thing to the wall.

A few cheap 4 inch lag-bolts and a drill will keep you from having more headaches than you would ever imagine.

Just do it.

Bolt it to the wall.

If you dont bolt it to the wall you will look back on this day and ask yourself why I didnt just bolt the damn thing to the wall.

A few cheap 4 inch lag-bolts and a drill will keep you from having more headaches than you would ever imagine.

Just do it.

Sound advice for a soundly built cabinet. I made a router table eight years ago using the same construction and poly for the wood. The guy I built it for eventually put it outside to live in the elements. (This is the desert, so little rain, but tons of sun which will still mess things up) I used that same table to work on all last week building a tabletop and several chairs. So while I have no doubt as to the bench's sturdiness, attaching it to the wall will save you possible heartaches in the future.

Jimmy

Hello: The only things I would change is make the bottom shelf lower so it stops the old primers from getting under the bench or a kick plate. I would also add some drawers to store some other stuff under the countertop. Lastly a peg board for all those other things. Nice work on the bench and it should be fine without bolting it to the wall with all those bullets holding it down. Thanks, Eric

abysmal,

Is the 1050 mounted on the bench now?? Is 24" plenty of room or would you prefer to have a little more?

I only ask because I'm building a new bench for my presses and have a total depth of 24" for the top - I'm hoping that's enough...