Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Projects Rx Direct Interchangeable Lenses

Scoterbeast

After using couple of diffenent brands with Rx inserts - gonna try the Rudy's in this configuration I think. Would like to hear of your experience with these.

Bill

I bought the Rydons with Direct Rx lenses after using the Kerosenes with Rx insert. I like the Direct Rx better, no frame is visible and my eyelashes don't touch the lens. Only problem was the price. Good luck.

Doug

I'm in the process of getting the lenses for my second pair as we speak. I love them. I didn't like anything in behind the lenses, and these look exactly like a non-prescription pair of Rydons, except that they really are prescription, and amazingly clear. Really neat technology, being able to make a nice looking pair of glasses (no circles in the middle) and still have quality optics. I'm using Action Brown, and Racing Red is what I'm ordering now.

Might want to hook up with one the Rudy Team guys here - like KGentry or Rocket35 - it can be helpful to talk to them.

JimInFL

Which lens is best for shooting outdoors? Thanks.

On Jim Shanahan's advice, I tried Action Brown (here in the FL sun) and they are great. I shoot open and no issue with the dot, targets, or anything for that matter. Everyone else here raves about Racing Red so I'm going to give it a whirl - and then my action brown can be my everyday sun glasses, to replace the non-prescription MFrame Oakleys I've always worn.

Edit - ooops - were you referring to color ?

Edited by JimInFL

Thanks guys. Yes, color and whatever they call it. I'll look into what you guys suggested, red or brown should look good with the Skalpel in Gun Metal finish. Do you by any chance know which Rx inframe fits a wide face? Thanks again.

I got the Ketyums with two set of lenses, Racing Red and Laser Grey and that covers all the shooting conditions I've experienced so far, indoor/outdoor, handgun/rifle, irons/optics.

I went with the Laser Grey over the brown ones, since I thought the light transmission on the brown ones were a bit too close to the red ones. The Racing Red lenses actually have a fairly low light transmission for being red lenses, but they weren't really dark enough for sunny days here in CA.

Norbs, I'll be in SD for the 3gun match this weekend and ROing at Richmond next Saturday, if you want to take a look at them.

One thing to remember is that your health insurance might actually cover a decent chunk of the cost...

Edited by gose

I got the Ketyums with two set of lenses, Racing Red and Laser Grey and that covers all the shooting conditions I've experienced so far, indoor/outdoor, handgun/rifle, irons/optics.

I went with the Laser Grey over the brown ones, since I thought the light transmission on the brown ones were a bit too close to the red ones. The Racing Red lenses actually have a fairly low light transmission for being red lenses, but they weren't really dark enough for sunny days here in CA.

Norbs, I'll be in SD for the 3gun match this weekend and ROing at Richmond next Saturday, if you want to take a look at them.

One thing to remember is that your health insurance might actually cover a decent chunk of the cost...

Saweet! I actually got double coverage and both covers frame and lens this year :cheers: I'm also ROing on the 14th, see you then. Thanks man!

Saweet! I actually got double coverage and both covers frame and lens this year :cheers: I'm also ROing on the 14th, see you then. Thanks man!

You can try the Impact X photochromic Red Lenses - they are basically the racing red lenses but transition to lighter and darker depending on the amount of light is at hand. Really cool stuff - I am using them and they are better than the racing red and you only need one lens.

You can try the Impact X photochromic Red Lenses - they are basically the racing red lenses but transition to lighter and darker depending on the amount of light is at hand. Really cool stuff - I am using them and they are better than the racing red and you only need one lens.

Hey Kevin. Before I get my new ones ordered - I have a question. If the Impact X photochromatics are the same basic color as Racing Red - are there any limitations ? In other words, will they be exactly like my Direct X I have now (no circles in the middle of the lens, full lens size etc) - so the only difference is that they are photochromatic ? That might be a good option here in FL - a little darker in the bright part of the day, but lighten up as the clouds set in for the afternoon thunderstorms.

JimInFL

Thanks for all the input guys! Now just have to get over the sticker shock ( I went to authorized dealer yesterday with my perscription ) They are sure proud of those things! But after all the positive feedback guess it will be money well spent.

Bill

Hey Kevin. Before I get my new ones ordered - I have a question. If the Impact X photochromatics are the same basic color as Racing Red - are there any limitations ? In other words, will they be exactly like my Direct X I have now (no circles in the middle of the lens, full lens size etc) - so the only difference is that they are photochromatic ? That might be a good option here in FL - a little darker in the bright part of the day, but lighten up as the clouds set in for the afternoon thunderstorms.

JimInFL

No limits Jim!! Before you order them see the discount post in this forum! It will help you out with the cost!

Bah, I was wrong, I RO on the 21st.

Okay, just found a dealer close to work and tried out the Ketyum and Rydon. Both are nicely made but the Ketyum fits closer and my brows were brushing on the lens. The Rydon fits me just fine and cheaper than the Ketyum. I compared the Racing Red with the Impact X photochromic and will definitely go with the Impact X. My insurance covers the frame and lens, how can I get additional prescription lenses using the discount code?

Okay, just found a dealer close to work and tried out the Ketyum and Rydon. Both are nicely made but the Ketyum fits closer and my brows were brushing on the lens. The Rydon fits me just fine and cheaper than the Ketyum. I compared the Racing Red with the Impact X photochromic and will definitely go with the Impact X. My insurance covers the frame and lens, how can I get additional prescription lenses using the discount code?

Just follow the directions in the first post on this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=932431

Edited by Rocket35

Ok, after reading this post I have a question. Can you get the colored lenses in the Direct Rx or only in clear? Next question, if the doc says you need bi focals for both reading and distance, how do you have you lenses done? For distance or reading or bi-focal? Had my eyes checked today and seems I need a little, not much, help with distance/reading. Joy Joy!!!

Thanks,

Steve

I'm in the process of getting the lenses for my second pair as we speak. I love them. I didn't like anything in behind the lenses, and these look exactly like a non-prescription pair of Rydons, except that they really are prescription, and amazingly clear. Really neat technology, being able to make a nice looking pair of glasses (no circles in the middle) and still have quality optics. I'm using Action Brown, and Racing Red is what I'm ordering now.

Might want to hook up with one the Rudy Team guys here - like KGentry or Rocket35 - it can be helpful to talk to them.

JimInFL