Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke Free

TheOtherErik

I finally decided to quit smoking after 10 years. All the reasons were good.... my health...my family....and most important... my money. $1700 a year!!! Its been a little over two weeks now and its been a bumpy ride. At first, just about every one that annoyed me induced the urge to strangle them 'til their eyes pop out. The patch helps but its nothing like the real thing. Dry fire helps alot to calm the cravings, but I can't do that at work where I smoked the most.

Shooting my first match one week after quiting really was horible. I was way to edgy, and couldn't relax. I made many mental errors and I hit a no shoot 3 feet in font of me. It really upset me all my errors were due fact that my body fet I was witholding somthing form it... a stupid cigarette.

I also found myself eating more and have gained some weight, wich is even worse because I am allready overweight. I am running out of notches on my safariland belt!

The second week has been alot better. The cravings are few and far between. People say that I have been more plesant to be around. Im going to shoot another match in two weeks, hopefully my head will be in the game.

Shooter Grrl, your going to have to find a new smoking buddy... or maybe you should quit too!

Kudos!!!

As it would happen, I recently put the smokes down after 10 years also. Actually, as it would happen, this time is going very, very well. I have attempted to quit before and have been clean for as long as 3-4 months, so I have some time to go yet, but somehow I believe this time will be different for me.

I think what has helped me is I replaced smoking with other activities, namely a bicycle and a couple of dumbells. And, as luck would have it I have not only managed to stop smoking, but loose weight also. Its almost as if I'm burning (literally, the lactic acid is a wonderfull punishment ;) ) the habit out. When it really kicked in was yesterday at the Colts game where we had seats all the way at top in the last row. The other guy with us is a smoker and a bit overweight, and I could see sweat beading on his brow and him breathing hard. Me? Hardly noticed. I know what it would have been like if I was still on my pack a day habit though. Made me smile. :D

The only downside to this is that I have noticed myself going through a bit of a depression. My mood definately has changed, but it seems to be getting better as time passes (nearly 7 weeks now).

Anyway, congrats TOE, I know what you are going through, exactly. Keep it up, its going to be worth it.

A little over a year now and 30 lbs. But hey, $80 for a new belt compared to $1700 a year?

Better diet, more excercise. If you can quit the addiction, you can handle that.

One guy told me I would see better after quiting smoking. Ah, maybe getting older canceled that one out.

Good job, keep it up.

TommyB

jhgtyre

When your kids get to be in their mid to late teen years, they start offering you tobacco products, or anything to shorten your life and to reduce the number of times your life and theirs have to intersect. At least that was the way I felt during those years.

As my older son told me a few years ago; Dad when I was 18, you didn't know crap, but by the time I had turned 25, you had learned a lot.

As we get older, we realize that we can go at any time, and that one cigar a month, probably isn't what's going to take you out of here. That is how I rationalize it...

I applaud anyone who quits. It is all about choices...

Cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are not the same animal. When I was little, I begged my dad to quit smoking cigars because the government came out with the "execution" commercials and I thought someone would come kill my dad for doing it. The truck has never smelled as good since. Every time it rains, I hate myself for making my dad do it, because I can smell the stogies in the truck and I know I denyed him what was probably a harmless occasional pleasure.

That said.....

Awesome job on ditching the cancer sticks!!!! You rock. If someone asked me to ditch sugar, I couldn't do it. You are a better man than I.

I quit about 4 years ago, and haven't had one since, oh yea, that was about the 20th time I had tried to quit. Giving up a 30+ year habit is hard, hell, giving up any cigarette habit is hard. It will only get better for you. Pretty soon people that smoke will stink to you and you won't believe that you ever smelled like that. Keep up the good work, there are always a lot of people pulling for you.

Mike

You are doing well, being off the evil weed . Its been 17 years for me . After about 6-8 weeks of fresh air you will realize that you have an increase in energy.

After about 12 years, I had an occasional cigar. They never brought the craving back for cigarettes.

As for sugar, quitting cigarettes was great discipline training for the challenges of type II diabetes.

Keep up the good work

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Im on the 3rd week and doing great. I dont really get many cravings any more and the attitude is much better. I still eat too much but its starting to slow. I moved a step down on the patches and havent really noticed much difference. In fact twice the patch fell off during the day and didn't notice. I should be done with them in another week or so.

• 5 weeks later...