Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Venting a Dillon tumbler

so I've been desperately trying to get my Dillon tumbler to work as good as my Midway ones. using the same media and polishing compound in all three tumblers (1 Dillon, 1 old Midway, and 1 new Frankford Arsenal), I find the Dillon heats up the media and drys out the polishing compound. resulting in a dull case, fairly clean, but not shiny like I like them. the other two tumblers, on for the same time produce bright shiny clean cases, with cool media. I've been thinking about drilling some holes in the sidewalls of the Dillon base, to help vent heat from the motor, anyone else done this?

I am not sure that the heat is from the motor.

I have a 2000 series tumbler and yes the media and the brass gets warm not hot, and the brass is always very shiny. I think (but am not certain) that you are running it too long. Change your media out if you need to run for longer than 3 hours.

But if you are sure that the heat is from the motor then logic suggests getting some of the heat away from it. Holes would also be logical.

Having been through a couple of motors..... :rolleyes: If indeed you are getting heat from the motor it will discolor the plastic bowl inside.......That is from too much weight, period

15lbs brass is max. The tumbler can run all day and night and not get hot at all, but more than that and the motor will get hot. Just check it when you dump it out and touch the motor, that will tell you right there....

Good luck,

DougC

I dump my brass into the Dillon at night and turn it off the next morning. The motor is not hot, cases are factory fresh shiny.

I have been using the same Dillon tumbler since 1993 without any mods.

I set it in the middle of the garage floor so that it is getting plenty of air flow

I've tried tumbling one case, in brand new media, to 500 cases. doesn't make any difference. even running empty the media gets warm.

I got this tumbler from a friend who's dad got out of reloading. I have no idea it's age, or how much he used it.

my old Midway tumbler has been running since about 1998 or so? often for days on end. Everynow and then I WD40 the crap out of it, then blow it dry. start it back up and it runs like new.

I've been thinking I should get the motor checked out. Maybe it needs to be replaced.

i just helped a buddy build a bar in his house and the fridge below the bar wasnt cooling the keg. we opened up all around the compressor components and put a few high speed computer fans down there to circulate the air. the beer is nice and cold now. maybe something similar could help your tumbler.

-N

My tumbler is an UltraVibe purchased in the mid-80's. Still on the original motor.

When I run it, I make sure its not overloaded, I never run it for more than 2 hours at a time, and I raise it up about 2" by sitting it on three foam blocks to allow additional ventilation.

Seems to keep things cool.

Bill

i just helped a buddy build a bar in his house and the fridge below the bar wasnt cooling the keg. we opened up all around the compressor components and put a few high speed computer fans down there to circulate the air. the beer is nice and cold now. maybe something similar could help your tumbler.

-N

Off topic but...Is there a problem not solved by cold beer?

I find the Dillon heats up the media and drys out the polishing compound. resulting in a dull case, fairly clean, but not shiny like I like them.

When the media gets dry and I get dust when seperateing the cases and media, I just add a little water to the media. Doesn't take much. Beer might work but seems like a waste.

Edited by Tom E

-N

Install a keg in his tumbler? Sounds good to me!!

Dale

I dump my brass into the Dillon at night and turn it off the next morning. The motor is not hot, cases are factory fresh shiny.

I have been using the same Dillon tumbler since 1993 without any mods.

I set it in the middle of the garage floor so that it is getting plenty of air flow

Hmmmm... I usually run a few hours with walnut then an hour or so with corncob and polish. The brass looks like new but the tumbler is pretty darned hot after this time. So is this a sign of a bad motor maybe. It is a new 750

Is it on a hard, flat surface...and not carpet?

Yes in the garage actually on a work bench. So far it has been pretty cool in the garage as well. The heat concerns me.

Yes in the garage actually on a work bench. So far it has been pretty cool in the garage as well. The heat concerns me.

Sandman, I have the same Dillon 750 and mine runs exceptionally hot too. It's set up on a workbench in the barn, which is quite cool this time of year. After an hour or so the motor is smokin' hot as is the metal plate the bowl is mounted to. Guess I'll see how long it lasts. By the way, the motor on my 750 is not a DC type as stated on the Dillon site. It is an Oriental Motor 60 Watt (1/12 hp) PSP AC motor. Very nice unit, hope it lasts.

Steve ..

• 2 weeks later...

OK we took the Dillon apart tonight. looking at the way the motor is mounted and how it's vented, it sends the hot air straight up into the cone in the center of the tumbler. We put 1/4 thick nuts between the motor and the motor mounting plate, then we put a piece of thick plastic over the hole in the mounting plate that allowed the hot air to go up the inside of tumbler. Now when it's running the hot air vents out to the side above the motor, and doesn't go up the tumbler. Much much better. the media stays cool, and the motor is now better vented, as before it only had about 1/8th of an inch of gap for the air to go through.

• 2 weeks later...