Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson ICE Magwell for G35...

lugnut

Might be a foolish question but is changing the magwell on a Glock important ? Factory stock 1911 you have to line things up right but my SSP M&P is pretty easy to insert mags, Double stack mags are tapered and slip in easy without any add on parts. I would guess Glocks same thing applys.

Shooting matches it's best to focus on breaking shots not worrying about equipment, or if the equipment is going to be a problem with the officals. Outside thoughts are not going to help performance.

Boats

Have you ever seen the magwells on Open guns? Those mags are tappered too. Yes, in some cases it does help.

Yes, during the match it's best to focus on the shooting... of course. However the equipment we use is hugely important and when you are competing with people that are just as good you want the best, most reliable equipment!!! I've seen better shooters lose matches because of equipment problems. I've seen bad reloads cost matches as well.

So yes, I do believe a mag well helps... a little extra weight on a very light gun helps as well. I don't think many would disagree with this.

Edited by lugnut

Lugnut see your point and if a big magwell helps it helps. No doubt either that weight is your friend in any sort of match shooting. My exprence is if equipment is up to standard any further gains are mimimal and best left alone. Particulary if they push rules and could draw problems or lack of focus on what's important.

Our club matches out of the box SSP's win top slots time wise against all classes most of the time. I pulled up the Carolina Cup match results. Only one ESP shooter out shot the SSP times. No doubt he could have done so with about anything he shot.

IDPA is a sport were most of us shoot factory stock equipment. I suspect it's a losing battle trying to get it to accept go fast accessories.

Boats

Edited by Boats

Boats- no question, there are lots of variables here. IDPA is game and just like other games people want to win... sometimes it entails looking for ALL advantages one can get... IN ADDITION to much good training hopefully! Rules are the rules and sometimes they "appear" to seem inconsistent, that is part of what I'm saying. Now if I really wanted a heavier gun that is legal for ESP I might be inclined to get a $2000 STI gun. Or I can use an already great gun, a G35, and "tweak" it. I think many of us, myself included, would opt for an ICE magwell if it was available with an aluminum plug that the magwell screwed into (Hmmmm does this imply that the plug is part of the magwell??) but they don't exist. I personally like the ICE magwell not just for the reloads and/or the added weight... but it also gives me a very positive grip on the gun... more secure.

Bottom line- whether you chamfer your cylinders in your revo for better reloads, make your loads just above PF when most commercail ammo is way over, add a heavy recoil guide rod, add FO sights, lighten a trigger, etc- it's all for the same reason- to help you shoot better and to win!

For those that can beat me with completely stock guns- all the power to them!

Lugnut, I couldn't have said it better. The point of this post was not to ask the question of whether or not a Magwell is a good choice for competition.

I would say, if it were not an advantage, then there would not be a "Enhanced" division that allows it. And gee golly, USPSA has a similar rule in the Production VS. Limited division (I see a pattern here!). So once and for all, it you don't think a magwell will speed up your reloads or gun, then don't put one on your gun. But as far as the repetition from people over and over again (at least implying they are pointless) is getting old. It's kind of like when people have posted a question about their Glock wanting other Glock shooters to help them out and some wise guy hijacks the post and says, something along the lines of, "Well then buy a real gun...a 1911 and all of your wildest dreams will come true!"

We are here as I see it, to help each other out and have constructive answers. At least that's why I am here.

I have spent just a few hours with a wagwell and have already seen how I can nail 1.15-1.50 reloads consistently. Without it a good reload is about 1.60. But with the 1.60 speeds and no magwell, there are 2+ ones when you miss it. To me, it is worth it!

Edited by grizzlywon

FYI

When I was shooting IDPA, I used a DAWSON Ice on a G35 but with a different insert. I machined a SS insert to replace the brass one. It was the same size as the heavy brass insert that completely fills the back strap area. No brass, no weight issue, and good to go.

Banks

For you guys that are already shooting a G34/G35, you're already shooting a lightened slide and extended mag release which is already against "the spirit of IDPA" but it's considered OK because they come that way from Glock. So...paint the magwell/plug black, put a big ol' "G" on it, pretend that it "came that way", and everyone will sleep alot better at night. :cheers:

For you guys that are already shooting a G34/G35, you're already shooting a lightened slide and extended mag release which is already against "the spirit of IDPA"

How do you figure? The Glock 34/35 is simply a Glock 9mm/.40 intended from the ground up to be the same overall size as a 1911 Government Model. The slide was not lightened for a competitive advantage, to get it to cycle faster, but to get it to cycle the same as a Glock 17 with the same 17-pound recoil spring assembly. Even with the cutout, by the way, the G34 slide is actually slightly heavier than the G17 slide, which is why the gun overall is slightly heavier. As for the extended mag button being "against the spirit of IDPA," which is to use carry appropriate equipment, a whole lot of non-competition shooters choose to replace the stock Glock shorty mag release button on their carry gun with something higher profile.

Now, I am not one of those people. I have actually gone the other direction and "de-customzed" my Glock 34 by yanking the extended mag release, and extended slide stop too, for that matter, and just running the low profile equivalents off a Glock 17. The G17 slide release I ran for all four years I used the G34 as my daily carry gun; the extended button I actually left on the gun for the first year, then switched it out for the last three. For the entire year I used the extended button, BTW, I found it caused absolutely no problems in concealed carry; the only reason I eventually switched it out was because it caused me problems at matches when going from a table start.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the Ice Magwell the other day and mailed the insert to a friend who has a machine shop. Asked him to make me one out of steel. He called me today and told me that the insert is steel! Anyway, he is making me one out of machined steel so it will be heavier anyway.

I couldn't tell if it was brass or steel as it was painted black. It's weird too, because it is listed on the site I bought it from, as IDPA approved. http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/7470_...h_val%3Dmagwell

Now I'm just looking for some good mag extensions so my mags lock

• 5 months later...

Might be a foolish question but is changing the magwell on a Glock important ? Factory stock 1911 you have to line things up right but my SSP M&P is pretty easy to insert mags, Double stack mags are tapered and slip in easy without any add on parts. I would guess Glocks same thing applys.

Shooting matches it's best to focus on breaking shots not worrying about equipment, or if the equipment is going to be a problem with the officals. Outside thoughts are not going to help performance.

Boats

I like the way the Ice magwell acts as a self to support my weak hand. I get a more consistant grip.

For you guys that are already shooting a G34/G35, you're already shooting a lightened slide and extended mag release which is already against "the spirit of IDPA" but it's considered OK because they come that way from Glock. So...paint the magwell/plug black, put a big ol' "G" on it, pretend that it "came that way", and everyone will sleep alot better at night. :cheers:

+1 Glock built the 34 and 35 to replace the L and to fit in the box to be shot in USPSA production and IDPA.

+1 Glock built the 34 and 35 to replace the L and to fit in the box to be shot in USPSA production and IDPA.

Actually to fit the IPSC Standard and IDPA boxes --- since USPSA Production wasn't a twinkle in anyone's eye when the G34/35 were introduced....