Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skating Uphill

Bubber

There has been alot of discussion on being competitve in Revolver and as we can only see a very few of our real accopmishments I htought it might be interesting and and informative to see what the rest of the Revo shooters who are shooting minor are doing. So I guess I'll start.

The finish for Feb. OKC USPSA match was:

Overall - Revolver Division

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Match Pts Match %

1 Jensen, L A57933 B Revolver Major 651.0531 100.000%

2 Davis, R A12423 A Revolver Minor 638.0846 98.008%

3 Miller, S U Revolver Major 464.5267 71.350%

4 Hardin, J A59228 C Revolver Major 430.8728 66.181%

5 Gober, J U Revolver Major 346.9150 53.285%

6 Shelton, C U Revolver Minor 330.7567 50.803%

Even though Mr. Jenson is only classified as a B shooter he is quite an accomplished revover shooter. In this match I had 19 C's over 7 stages. I gave up 19 points toward my total of 667 raw points. Or a little over 2% that would have been factored down with my preformance on each stage. I totally blew one stage as did Jensen. But I could have found more than 2% difference in my score if I just had shot better that day. And to me it looks like a wash because I know I could have "shot" better than I did and the scoring would have been there even in Minor. Just my thoughts. Jerry V? And the rest of the uphill skaters how did you guys do.

There has been alot of discussion on being competitve in Revolver and as we can only see a very few of our real accopmishments I htought it might be interesting and and informative to see what the rest of the Revo shooters who are shooting minor are doing. So I guess I'll start.

Even though Mr. Jenson is only classified as a B shooter he is quite an accomplished revover shooter. In this match I had 19 C's over 7 stages. I gave up 19 points toward my total of 667 raw points. Or a little over 2% that would have been factored down with my preformance on each stage. I totally blew one stage as did Jensen. But I could have found more than 2% difference in my score if I just had shot better that day. And to me it looks like a wash because I know I could have "shot" better than I did and the scoring would have been there even in Minor. Just my thoughts. Jerry V? And the rest of the uphill skaters how did you guys do.

What guns are you using to shoot minor? I could see it as a possible wash if you loaded a 45 acp in a 625 to minor power factor, so that you still had a quick loading revolver and you shot almost all "A's". If you're trying to shoot a 686 and load a longer, skinnier cartridge, I could think that it would be a big disadvantage.

Jerry V probably won't brag so I'll do it for him. With his 686 and Hearthco moonclips he has scored some outrageous classifiers recently. Unfortunately, he has few people to shoot against in revolver in Oregon.

Talking to him, he is sold on his set up for revolver. With the condition of my hands, I'm considering the switch myself, though, I wouldn't be competitive in any case. Since I have stopped shooting the .45 revolver (about September), the pain reduction in my hands, particularly thumbs, has been significant.

What guns are you using to shoot minor? I could see it as a possible wash if you loaded a 45 acp in a 625 to minor power factor, so that you still had a quick loading revolver and you shot almost all "A's". If you're trying to shoot a 686 and load a longer, skinnier cartridge, I could think that it would be a big disadvantage.

chizzle, I am shooting a L frame that had been cut for 38 supers. My reloads for the most part were good, I am however faster with my speedloaders at this point in time than the moocliped version. I am improving though.

On another point skationg up hill is not just for minor but anything other than the norm Major 625's so all your Ruger guys or top break fellars join in too. :cheers:

I have considered getting some Hearthco short colt moons for my mdl 19's.

I really believe I shoot them faster than my n frame guns.

Around here I hardly EVER have another revolver shooter in USPSA.

I think I will stay with my V-comp for ICORE though.

Other than shooting a couple good classifiers lately, my last couple matches haven't been as good as they were the in Sept-Nov of last when I first got rolling with the 686/minor. Partly because a cylinder issue, which now fixed - no problems last match, but also I'm focused other things right now. But that being said, for me shooting 686/minor has worked lot better than when I shot a 625, especially with steel (remember, counts the same as major) and have had far fewer misses, penalities and overall better scores. You do have to hit your "A"'s and penalities & extra reloads really stack up against you more so than shooting major, but what is wrong with working on being more accurate ? shooting in Rev Div you should make every shot count whether it's major or minor.

chizzle, I'm using a 6" 686-1, Hearthco .025" clips with FULL length Starline 38spl brass, though not as forgiving as a 625/45acp, the full length 38spl isn't slow to reload. The brass & clip combination I use has a tight fit and loads just fine.

JV

Edited by Jerry V

Since I have stopped shooting the .45 revolver (about September), the pain reduction in my hands, particularly thumbs, has been significant.

If shooting a .45 revolver makes your hands hurt, the first thing to do is to take off the Jerry grips and sell them to somebody that doesn't know any better.

Talking to him, he is sold on his set up for revolver. With the condition of my hands, I'm considering the switch myself, though, I wouldn't be competitive in any case. Since I have stopped shooting the .45 revolver (about September), the pain reduction in my hands, particularly thumbs, has been significant.

I switched from the JM grips to Hogue big butt and low and behold all the pain went away. I still use the JM grips on my 627 shooting minor and they are okay for that but shooting major in the 625 they just hurt like hell.

Since I have stopped shooting the .45 revolver (about September), the pain reduction in my hands, particularly thumbs, has been significant.

If shooting a .45 revolver makes your hands hurt, the first thing to do is to take off the Jerry grips and sell them to somebody that doesn't know any better.

Interesting observation Mike. I use Jerry's grips across the board on my 21, 625, 22 (all major loads) and 627's (minor loads) with no pain and I have large hands. There are a number of issues that come to play when dealing with grips and what works for one may not work for you but those of you that follow that advise I will be glad to let you send those grips to me (free) and I'll even pay postage :devil:

There are a number of issues that come to play when dealing with grips and what works for one may not work for you....

I agree with you, John. Things like grips and sights are very much a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, it's amazing how some people will put up with the pain "because if Jerry uses them they must be good." I've seen people wearing gloves and padding their hands up with band-aids just to keep running Jerry grips--craziness, I tell ya! :)

I see a variety of grips out here, mostly rubber or big butt grips. Neither fit my hands and I really hate finger groove grips. When I shoot my thumb is on the recoil shield and I grip high on the revolver with recoil nearly straight back in my hand. I shot 1911's too long to change and that is my choice but I tried a set of Jerry's grips on my 625 and have never looked back as the fit was ideal for how I shoot.

Lets hope a few folks take me up on my offer (free but I pay shipping) as I have a couple revolvers that still need grips.

Edited by jmax

After this weekend's practice session of shooting about a hundred rounds of 168 PF ammo from my 625 with Jerry grips, I'm going to try swapping the grips off of my 460 XVR to my 625 to see how I like that. That sobothane insert in the backstrap should make it pretty comfortable. It sure beats having steel slapping into the web of your hand.

I thought attorney 101 was not to assume facts not in evidence. My 25s wear Pachmyres. What makes my hands hurt is a whole lot of arthritis. Sorry if that doesn't fit your rant about Miculeks.

My 625 wore Miculek's for about 20 minutes when they first came out and I found out I didn't control the gun well with them.

I do use them on my 27s. They work FOR ME on that gun. I wouldn't assume they would or would not for anybody else nor assume the reason they were using them.

And I thought this was a thread on the viability of shooting minor in revolver class, and, possibly some reasons for doing so (or not)

Edited by underlug

I shot minor with the trusty ol' Model 14 yesterday, and for me my main issue with it is that I just can't reload it nearly as fast a 625. My accuracy is as good or better with that gun, but I don't think it's really a Major vs. Minor thing for me so much as it's a K frame fits my tiny girl hands a little better than an N frame kind of thing.

I currently have JM grips on my 625, and while I don't love them they are the best that I've tried. I like the feel of the Hogues, but the finger grooves don't let me get a high enough grip on the gun. I get a good high grip with the JMs, but recoil is definitely harsher than with the Hogues, and because there's a smooth finish, they slip around under recoil a little bit. I wish Hogue would make a rubber Jerry grip!

Damn !!!!

How did Bubber asking how those us who shoot Minor are doing, turn into a discussion about grips ??????????? WTF !! :angry2:

Anyone ever consider that lighter recoil which keeps muzzle flip down which allows for quicker double Alpha hits or being able to knock down steel quicker.....how many use major PF loads for Steel Challenge ??? doesn't make sense, huh !!

Lighter recoil does help in accuracy which results in fewer misses, penalties and FEWER RELOADS, which adds up to better scores.

I don't understand why minor ph isn't considered a viable option, when I constantly see Production shooters doing well against Open & Limited shooters at our local matches, so it seems major scoring isn't everything.

But then again I'm not a "Serious Competitior" so maybe my opinion or experience does really mean much.

JV

Edited by Jerry V

Quite often I do shoot local steel matches with major p.f. loads out of my 625, but that's mainly when I'm in the middle of my USPSA Revo season and forcing myself to get more trigger time with the same gun and loads I will be using at the big matches. Most of the time, shooting those local matches is the only type of practice I can manage to fit in.

If I'm trying to seriously compete at a steel match with a revolver, I will bring my 627 or 27-7 and some nice light-loaded steel ammo!

I think a good case for shooting minor could be made for anyone who shoots a minor load better than they shoot a major load. I've seen the opposite of this; some people shoot faster and more accurately with the right major load. This doesn't always have anything at all to do with managing recoil. It depends on what you are used to and what you like to see in the sights. I like my sights to snap, major or minor doesn't matter very much as long as they come back to the same place.

I have been shooting with Jerry for the last few months, and he does very well shooting minor. If you take a typical 120 point stage with a major shooter who gets 95% of the points, you end up with 114 points--lets say 18 alpha and 6 charlie. A minor shooter with the same hits will get 108 points. This is a difference of just over 5%. If that stage takes 16 seconds to shoot--1.2 sec draw, .2 splits, 2 sec reloads, 4 seconds for running around and transitions--the shooter would only need to shave .84 of a second off their major time to equal their score shooting minor.

I KNOW Jerry shoots his minor gun more than .84 seconds faster shooting minor on a typical stage. That averages to just over 3 hundredths of a second per shot. This doesn't take into account misses or extra reloads caused by them. Hmmm.

Shoot what you want Jerry...you do it well! :)

Start shooting D's and this goes out the window.