Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock g17 be changed to shoot 380cal

JAB

Not to answer your question with a question, but living in Canada are you not able to purchase a Glock 25 or 28?

I sincerely doubt that a successful conversion can be made given the blowback dynamics of the .380 round.

I would guess if you used a reduced power recoil spring you could probably fire .380 in the 9x19 barrel. It would be headspacing off the rim so it might not be as accurate and might (eventually) lead to an eroded chamber, but I would think the gun would function. I suppose you might be able to get someone to make a custom barrel.

The difference in overall length might lead to problems with the mags; however, if you seated the bullets out longer (and had the barrel reamed to accept the bullets seated longer) this shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the big question on most folks' minds is, why bother? 9x19 is generally easier and cheaper than .380 if you're buying factory. If you're reloading, 9x19 brass is cheaper and much more common. I wouldn't imagine the difference in recoil would make it worth while. If you reload, you can down load 9x19 to recoil as low as most .380 loads.

Just for clarification:

The Glock 25 and 28 are banned from import into the USA. They are Austrian-made Glocks which use a straight "blow-back" action and are chambered in .380 ACP.

The BATFE assigns "points" to all imported handguns to meet the "sporting purposes" test. THe Glock 25 and 28 fail these tests. They "could" make them in the USA - since all other GLock models are made here too. Glock so far has chosen not to make them here.

Not to answer your question with a question, but living in Canada are you not able to purchase a Glock 25 or 28?

I sincerely doubt that a successful conversion can be made given the blowback dynamics of the .380 round.

I've never seen that done, and I've never seen a conversion barrel for it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

I almost asked this same question, but didn't want to come off like a smart a%&. Shooting more expensive less powerful ammo that won't make minor didn't seem like a good idea to me. I wondered if price or availability of ammo or some legal issue was different in Canada to make it worth while.

Just for clarification:

The Glock 25 and 28 are banned from import into the USA. They are Austrian-made Glocks which use a straight "blow-back" action and are chambered in .380 ACP.

The BATFE assigns "points" to all imported handguns to meet the "sporting purposes" test. THe Glock 25 and 28 fail these tests. They "could" make them in the USA - since all other GLock models are made here too. Glock so far has chosen not to make them here.

I'm not so sure it's a complete "ban" because Glock will sell them to law enforcement in the U.S. On a related note, if you look at the triggers that Glock puts on commercial sales guns, they have steps or ridges on them. The guns they sell to at least some LE agencies don't have them....I was told it was related to the BATFE points criteria. Still, if the threadstart is in Canada it shouldn't be an issue.

Glock will only sell the .380 to the Police Depts' with a letter, on dept letterhead signed by the Chief.

In Canada, the issue is barrel length. The G25 has a 102mm barrel but the limit is 106mm for new importations.

To convert a G17 to .380, you need a custom made and fitted barrel, but first you would have to find a barrel maker willing to make the barrel. You would have to replace the recoil spring to a lighter one PLUS you may have to modify the 9mm ejector - the rim is smaller diameter on the .380.

Is it worth it? I don't think so.

Is it feasable? Yes, but at a great cost.

...if you look at the triggers that Glock puts on commercial sales guns, they have steps or ridges on them. The guns they sell to at least some LE agencies don't have them....I was told it was related to the BATFE points criteria. Still, if the threadstart is in Canada it shouldn't be an issue.

Believe it or not, those "steps or ridges" qualify the trigger as a "target" trigger and add import points. The smooth trigger is their "combat" trigger.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Believe it or not, those "steps or ridges" qualify the trigger as a "target" trigger and add import points. The smooth trigger is their "combat" trigger.

Correct.

But once you have the gun, it can legally be swapped out.

Just for clarification:

One can purchase a Glock 25 and or 28 in the U.S.. You have to get the BATFE form OMB No. 1512-0017 and you must have a FFl. You must state a specific reason for importing this pistol. The last pistol that I imported came from Pragotrade 307 Humberline Drive, Rexdale Ontario, M9W SVI Canada. Also you must sign a use letter that the pistol will not be sold, traded, given or loaned out to any citizen that does not have a FFL. The BATFE treats these pistols as if they were class 3 weapons without the $200 tax stamp. Oh, It took about 3 months to get the paperwork approved. Today, who knows ?

Good Hunting !!!

Okay, will someone just hurry up and pop off a .380 through a 9x19 barrel and report back what happened?

If thats the question, I can answer that: It will feed from the mag fine, headspace on the extractor, fire, but it wont eject due to the extremly low recoil impulse... hope that helps

If thats the question, I can answer that: It will feed from the mag fine, headspace on the extractor, fire, but it wont eject due to the extremly low recoil impulse... hope that helps

Been there done that and he is 100% correct,

It was in one of my "what If" moods when I wanted to know if it was all I had could I use the .380 rd instead of using the gun as a club.

I was using the factory spring...

Shooting a .40 in a G20 actually fed AND ejected, although they barely made it out....Not suggesting anyone try any of this, but I "Had" to know...or at least i thought I did.

Edited by Hany

...if you look at the triggers that Glock puts on commercial sales guns, they have steps or ridges on them. The guns they sell to at least some LE agencies don't have them....I was told it was related to the BATFE points criteria. Still, if the threadstart is in Canada it shouldn't be an issue.

I couldn't remember exactly what the details were, but I'm sure that's exactly the way they described it to me. I have the smooth trigger on four out of five Glocks and the one that doesn't (G27) is the snappiest of all so it gives me a little bit of backlash/bite. That'll get swapped out the next time I go back as a guest instructor or it goes back for PM.