Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta M9/92

army_eod

I use a 92G Elite II.

Only downside to a 92FS/M9 is the slide safety. Too easy too accidently engage the safety during malfunction clearing or loading on an empty-gun start. 'G' Model only decocks so gun is always ready to run.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

aint nothing wrong with the Beretta. There are better match guns, but if I were in the army (still) I would definitley use one.

Ben Stoeger burns down the house with his. He is a USPSA GM shooting a Beretta Elite.

I moved onto 1911s and the XD in general, but I still love Berettas.

PS If you are interested in any parts, mags, or guns drop me a line.

Brian

slight thread drift...

Is there a way to convert an FS model into a G "decock only" model?

A way? sure there's a way.

Not just a matter of replacing parts, though.

The detent/spring angle is different on the right side to give the lever more return strength plus it doesn't need to disconnect the trigger bar, so that would have to be redrilled. It wouldn't be hard to shape out the small detents on the left side that allow the FS safety to "click" into place. Then you could swap in a G safety group. Not easy, but not impossible. No, I've never bothered to try.

Aren't you a member of beretta forum? Talked about to death over there.

-rvb

in my unhumble opinion the only reason to care about the G variation is (in order of importance)

1. The ability to introduce a new front sight to the slide, if you really want to swap front sights you pretty much have to get a G. Even Novak won't attempt to cut a dovetail into a 92 slide. I asked them.

2. The heavier slide to soak up recoil and increase service life with extremely high round counts using duty level ammo.

Your 92FS slide will last forever if you shoot medium and minor pf velocity ammo. If you shot 9mm NATO ammo very very regularly you could damage the slide. You would need to shoot more than most people n this forum (this is alot). One of the people from my checkered past ran his M9 with NATO ammo until it flung the slide into his kisser. He had already jacked up his grill during a mountaineering accident, so I told him I thought it wasnt too great a loss.

The locking block will break eventually, but I never had this happen. Get an extra locking block on E bay.

3. The decocker vs un resetting safety is cool, but frankly this is a training issue. I would never get a G model soley for the deckocker resetting.

I got burned by this feature a time or two until I "paid attention to what I was doing like a grown up" and then I never had this happen again.

I would just shoot the 92/M9 you already own

in my unhumble opinion the only reason to care about the G variation is (in order of importance)

1. The ability to introduce a new front sight to the slide, if you really want to swap front sights you pretty much have to get a G. Even Novak won't attempt to cut a dovetail into a 92 slide. I asked them.

2. The heavier slide to soak up recoil and increase service life with extremely high round counts using duty level ammo.

3. ...would never get a G model soley for the deckocker resetting.

That is the definition of the "G" models, decocker only.

There have been regular-slide G-model 92s and G-model "vertecs."

G does not necessarily = brigadier slide or dovetailed front sight.

-rvb

A'yup, Ryan, I am a member over at the Beretta forum too, but sometimes it helps to ask the question every now and then to a different group of people.

And FWIW... I went with all Brig Inox's, they are all FS's, so I have the beefier slide and the front is already cut for the dovetail. But it also has the safety/decocker. Only once did that mess me up clearing a jam. I inadvertently put it on safe while quickly racking the slide. It was a rare case indeed to have the Beretta jam in the first place. And, yessir! ya guessed it, it happened right in the middle of a stage. :angry2:

I did put a Dawson FOFS in one of 'em. I think it is the same width as the factory front. :( I wish Dawson did make something skinnier.

Now, if I could just find an adjustable rear that was:

1. worth a darn

2. didn't look like crap sitting on top of the Beretta slide.

When I am not competing in revolver division (which is most of the time) I shoot a Beretta 92D. The double action only and no external safety catches most people off guard, as I do not have to decock before holstering after finishing a stage. I have had to (near constantly) show the RO's at matches that it has no external safety before I holster. As I have never in the last 3 years seen another shooter using a 92D, I expect that most RO's are not prepared to see it. I don't think that many people care for the double action only, but like a revolver it has a consistent trigger pull that I like. I was fortunate to obtain a police surplus 92D about 3 years ago (like new with no apparent wear) that had Tritium Night Sights on it. :D

I wish that Beretta would make some 90-TWO D model Berettas, as it has been years (almost 10 I think) since they made any model 92D's. :(

I suggest that you use what you have until you find something else that you want to use more. ;) I would not think of giving up my Beretta and plan to use it in a number of matches this year.

Edited by Blueridge

Who is using the Beretta 92/M9 platform?

That is what I will start IPSC with.

Berettas have a small but loyal following. New 92s with factory ammo and good mags just plain work. Berettas are easy enough to open up that a window licking, short bus riding, helmet wearing chimp can do a trigger job on one.

The biggest complaint I hear is the double action first shot.

Have fun.

Your 92FS slide will last forever if you shoot medium and minor pf velocity ammo. If you shot 9mm NATO ammo very very regularly you could damage the slide. You would need to shoot more than most people n this forum (this is alot). One of the people from my checkered past ran his M9 with NATO ammo until it flung the slide into his kisser. He had already jacked up his grill during a mountaineering accident, so I told him I thought it wasnt too great a loss.

I thought that they fixed that problem so that even if the slide cracks it won't implant itself in your face?

I thought that they fixed that problem so that even if the slide cracks it won't implant itself in your face?

true but remember this was a modification/upgrade that was ordered later on after a few guys had busted their lips.

Additionally you had to actualy turn the pistol in and then get the replacement weapon after the upgrades were complete (new pistol reissued).

Most everyone (probably 95%) followed the instructions to turn their stuff into the depot. These were very early model guns that went to them before the big army got the official M9. Everybody must not have turned theirs in.

This same group of guys routinely blew suppressors up and wore out their carbine barrels

FWIW, I chronoed some WCC95 NATO spec ammo. It ran about 1160 fps, just between standard pressure ammo (~1090 fps) and +P (124 grain Gold Dot +P, ~1220 fps). It's not that hot.

I qualified a while back with an issue M9 and issue ammo, and it wasn't any worse than shooting my B92 Brigadier Inox...except that the trigger on mine is nicer. :)

Now... now... let's not spiral this into a bash the Beretta thread.

I got kicked off of a mall ninja/tactibilly forum for defending the Beretta.

I think this whole Beretta slide cracking thing is the stuff of internet legend/myth/heresay. Before I got booted off that mall ninja :ph34r: forum, I repeatedly asked for just one picture of a broken locking block and/or cracked Beretta slide. Some guy was implying that he saw crates and crates full of broken slides. :surprise:

Still no pictures... sigh...

I browsed through Ayoob's book on the Beretta one time. He suggested that these :ph34r: types back in the 80's were using suppressors with their M9's and the NATO spec 9mm ammo. He went on to suggest that the weight of the suppressors were some how levering the barrel in such a way that it caused these catastrophic slide failures.

Sorry no pics, but I got to see a M9 come apart while in AFOSI academy back in 99. The slide cracked and the barrel and front half of the slide ended up about 5 feet down range. The 'new mod' caught the back half of the slide and stopped it from disfiguring the guy for life.

Regular ammo, 60 to 75k rounds through it.

asked for just one picture of a broken locking block and/or cracked Beretta slide. ....Still no pictures... sigh...

No first hand experience w/ broken slides, luckily. I don't doubt it happens, and much more-so during the early days especially when you read about their troubles with getting the heat treat right, etc. I also don't doubt that the issue is grossly exagerated in some circles. Seems I remember seeing some photos of slides in two pieces on berettaforum...

I did bust a locking block once, an "old style" block.

post-6093-1235715292_thumb.jpg

post-6093-1235715319_thumb.jpg

-rvb

I think the older M9/92s had the occasional slide crack because of a combination of bad heat-treat and over thinning in the slide where the lock-block wings manuvered. The thicker slides in newer models helped with this. Seen my share of lock-block wings crack too. Not sure about the more modern Beretta's if this is still an issue or not.

the slide coming off the 92/M9 is pretty well documented.

It happened on older guns with very high round counts, shooting hot ammo.

Supressors seem to help this condition along. Having said this you would have to shoot a ton of ammo to get this to happen to your own gun. Changing recoil springs every now and then might help.

Locking blocks can bust early (40,000 rds). This might not be normal, but has happened. I only know this because I know a gunsmith who has gone through the hassle of parts replacement via Beretta warranty. Buying a locking block is pretty easy and not too expensive.

I would shoot your M9 with factory ammo any minor PF ammo and not look back.

PS a .22 kit would be a good investment too