Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vihtavuori Powder N-350 Vs 3n37

Mell531

Hi Guys,

I have a question for all you Open class shooters that need more gas to make your comps work. Has anybody used VV N350 and 3N37, which one did you like best and why? From what I read the two powders are similar but different, 3N37 is made for competition shooting. What is your experience with the two powders? I'm now using VV N-350 and 155gr. bullet in my Glock22 .40cal Open gun.

DVC,

Mell

I was sold on 3N37 for 9X21....it was the best powder for that I found. So I started using it for super, but decided to try 350 once when it was all I could get. It blew fire, was louder, and, IMO, kicked harder. I prefer 3N....period.

(I'm talking 124's in super.....)

I've used many pounds of 3N37 and now I'm using N350. However, this is in a .38 Super S_I; a .40S&W Glock is going to be so different I don't know why you'd bother comparing them.

Anyway, here's the deal...

3N37 is dirtier, requires more powder for a given velocity, and is maybe a little softer. The dirtiness never affected function. That's my experience. The general consensus of others I've talked to is 3N37 is dirty and sometimes generates cornmeal, and N350 often creates yellow fireballs, especially through guns with barrel ports.

The difference in the powders is how they burn. They are rated about the same however 3N37 is better for comp guns because it produces the same power as N350 with the same load, but burns . . . um . . . not slower . . . . but differently such that it works the comp better.

In a limited gun, I would use N350. A comp gun - 3N37. If you can get your hands on N105 - that's the best compromise. At one time it was called N350 Test.

JB

I found that 3n37 didn't get burned completely and would accumulate in the comp. After a few rounds, the excess powder would ignite and put on a great light show, especially indoors or at night. My smith suggest that I try IMR 4756, IMR 7625, or N105.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for helping me with the difference of the two Vihtavuori powders. I will try the 3N37 and see how it shoots in my .40cal Glock22 open gun. Thanks to all of you I know what to look for now.

DVC,

Mell

• 9 years later...

If I have a recipe that does not list any of the of the Vihtavuori for the particular weight bullet I want to load, is there a chart anywhere that will compare one powder with another? Something that shows that you can use powder xyz in place of powder abc - in the same amount.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late response as I just joined this Forum. I have tried N350 and 3N37 in my open gun. I prefer the 3N37 as I found it meters better in my Dillon 550B and therefore gives me slighly better consistancy accross the crono. I have used 3N37 in 9mm for production division and found it to be much softer shooting than AA5, 231 and Clays. VV is more expensive but simple math will show about one penny increase in cost per round. I have found little if any difference in cleanliness between 3N37 and N350 but that's probably because I clean my guns after about 300 rounds.