Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where is your Cold Bore Shot?

kgunz11

To many folks, this isn't very important, to me it is. I will not accept a rifle that does not put the first round precisely into the desired POI with the very first shot. I always foul my barrel after cleaning and leave it in that state, and I confirm often that my CBS goes where it needs to. It's the sign of a properly built rifle. If your CBS does not fall in with the proceeding rounds fired, you at least need to know where it is and if it is repeatable.

Wednesday I was participating in a basic rifle course and upon the conclusion we were able to take our personal rifles and fire them and share with others. I got my .308 bolt gun out of the truck that was built for me by John Whidden and fired a CBS group on a playing card at 100 yards with it.

This 3 shot group was witnessed by 12 others. Notice the POI was on the tip of the heart. Having a 22 power NF scope helps in precisely aiming at a specific point, aim small miss small. All three shots were taken from the prone position with a bi-pod and rear bag. It measures under a .25 MOA, somewhere in the teens, easily covered by a dime.

DSC00099Large.jpg

DSC00100Large.jpg

John, Matt should have bought this rifle while it was for sale. I sold the 7WSM so I get to keep this one. ;)

Edited by kgunz11

I've been talking to some folks and they seem interested in a long range precision rifle class. We do classes here and one of the practical portions is on the 1000 yard range. Anyone interested in attending such a class in Alabama can contact me via PM and I can discuss the details.

Now rifle is impressive!! The shooter is too!

Because of where I live, I usually just hike over to the range, confirm my zero (also 5.5X 22 Nightforce) and start whacking steel at 3-400 yards.

(Sadly, my home range only goes to 450.) <_<

I'm really making an error by not always taking the time to check the CBS. Thanks KZ, for straightening me out.

Sam,

I don't check mine every time I go to the range, but at least every 500 rounds or so, which is more common for me than most, as I shoot rather often. I'd venture to say that any rifle that can place the CBS within 1MOA of the POA and subsequent group should be satisfactory for most rifles.

Those that will some times shoot with a suppressor should also know the POI shift with and without the can and document that data and check often to make sure it remains consistent.

I've done load development with this rifle in several different bullet weights. Someone must have shaken some chicken bones over this barrel or something, it's just a hammer.

A few things about component choices in this rifle that might seem a little unique/strange.

1. The barrel is a 10 twist, meaning the lands make 1 complete revolution in 10".

2. The bullets are Berger 155 VLD's. Known for being jump sensitive, and optimized in a 13 twist barrel.

3. The brass is Winchester, not some neck turned trimmed to perfection Lapua brass.

What I mean by all that is I have just negated many of the myths/misinformation about several concepts, not only in this rifle, but in one that set Palma Match records and won 2 Nat'l championships at Camp Perry (John's rifle).

Don't be afraid to step outside the box of conventional thinking. Rifle barrels are being made now with a standard of quality that we've never known in the past. Same goes for some of the other components.

Good luck and good shooting!

Damn!!! That's smokin' . Quick question. Will a 26" 1in12 shoot 155's? I am just starting in F Class and seems like each person I ask all say something different.

DaG

A 1/12 twist barrel should shoot the 155's very well. Most will tell you a 1/10 will "over spin" the 155, I can prove that is simply not true. Target above and at 1k is proof.

Do you mean that the CBS hits POA or do you mean that the CBS doesn't hit POA but hits somewhere else and does so with great consistency ?

Also, after the CBS, does the gun settle right in ?

I'm saying if your rifle does NOT hit POA with a CBS, you need to know where it DOES hit. My CBS POI is POA. If your CBS is not POA then it should at least be consistent. If it's not consistent it could 1 of a many of things. Usually it is either a bedding issue or a trigger monkey issue.

Must be me, but was there a pic of this group posted? The link appears to be gone

Just you - I still see it. Picture of a 3 of hearts, with what kinda looks like one hole on it? That's the group :surprise: