Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun for ICORE?

Rather-B-Huntin

A local club in my area will host 4 ICORE style matches this season. I'm also trying to garner interest in having some ICORE matches at my home gun club this year as well.

I currently own a S&W 625 PC which I'll use in USPSA Revo division, and would really like to have a 627 Pro. The only thing that's held me back from buying a 627 has been lack of a reason to use it until now.

I'd like to hear from experienced ICORE shooters with recommendations as to whether I should just stick with my 625, or would a 627 Pro be a better choice for ICORE? Or should I get a 627 PC 5" gun? I will be shooting iron sights on whatever I go with. No optics either way.

Your input is appreciated.

Sounds like you just found a reason to buy the 627.

If funds are tight I'd suggest staying with the 625, shooting light loads and just enjoying it. Since ICORE is 6 shot neutral the 625 works fine. I used one for years but eventually the dark side caught me and I bought my first 627.

Limited division at the IRC has been won a few times buy people using the 625. It reloads faster than speedloaders for most people and you never get a moon stuck under the star...Astronomy?

I'd shoot 230 grain LRN with about 3 grains of Bullseye or an equivilent load.

If you have the cash (and I will help ;) ) I would get the 627.

They load almost as well as the 625, they tend to be more accurate and the bullets are cheaper.

Your going to have ICORE matches? I want in!

I see we are neighbors. We will have to shoot some matches this year. Our first one is the 15th.

I just bought a 627 PC and been shooting some Short Colts out of it at minor PF.

627 PC gun. No questions about it IF you want to buy a new gun.

If you are not looking for a reason to buy a new gun, just shoot your 625.

I hate to say it but Tony is right.

There is nothing wrong with shooting your 625 in ICORE though, just get out and shoot. You can worry about gaming the equipment later.

A 627 PC would be my 1st choice, 627 Pro my second. Any 625 is a distant 3rd or 4th for ICORE. 38 caliber guns are the only way to go. You'd be better off with a 686+ or a 686 (and having it cut for moon clips) than getting a 625 for ICORE.

Good Luck,

Craig

I would rather shoot a 625 than most .38s because of the superior reload speed. A 627 with short cartridges (.38 Short Colt or .38 Super), high-quality Hearthco moonclips, and a good chamfer job can approach (but never quite equal) the reload speed of the .45 revolvers, and the difference is small enough that the extra 2 shots are probably worth the trade-off.

When I shot the IRC a couple years ago I used my 625, and finished 5th out of 106 Limited shooters.

I'd try to find a good deal on a Pro,and then have a REAL action job done on it.It'll be about the same money in the end for a better gun IHMO.-Mike

It's all about the barrel length. If you are comfortable with a 4" tube, the 627 Pro will save you some bucks. If you prefer the 5" barrel, you're going to have to spring for the 627PC. Either one will need an action job. The PC guns do not have better factory actions--if anything, they are typically worse than the regular production guns.

A 627 with short cartridges (.38 Short Colt or .38 Super), high-quality Hearthco moonclips, and a good chamfer job can approach (but never quite equal) the reload speed of the .45 revolvers

I'll agree with that........I've had some dam fast reloads with my 627, but not as fast as a well chamfered 625........

DanBagger

A 627 with short cartridges (.38 Short Colt or .38 Super), high-quality Hearthco moonclips, and a good chamfer job can approach (but never quite equal) the reload speed of the .45 revolvers

I'll agree with that........I've had some dam fast reloads with my 627, but not as fast as a well chamfered 625........

DanBagger

If we're shooting the same COF sat and sun at the July 4th Iowa match we'll have some really good comparison data, 6 shooter vs 8 shooter.

If we're shooting the same COF sat and sun at the July 4th Iowa match we'll have some really good comparison data, 6 shooter vs 8 shooter.

I expect we will be shooting the same stages on Sat. and Sun., but the difference is that in order to meet ICORE rules, all ICORE stages must be 6-round-neutral. That is certainly not true in USPSA, and I'm certain we will not make any effort to devise 6-round-neutral stages for our July event (particularly in light of the fact that everybody will be shooting the same type of gun each day).

To my way of thinking, the 6-round-neutral requirement in ICORE is stifling. I like having multiple ways of engaging the stage, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best (for me) of several different possible strategies--that's why USPSA Revolver remains my primary game. One thing you'll notice at ICORE matches--everybody shoots every field stage pretty much the same way. When you set out to make the stage 6-round-neutral, there's not a whole lot you can do to create multiple engagement options.

The good news is that shooting a 6-round revo in ICORE really is a viable and competitive option. When I shot the '07 IRC with my 625, I never once wished I had an extra round in the gun. (However, I did wish that I had shot more A's and X's, and I did wish I hadn't fired an overtime shot on the par-time standards stage--but that's a whole different matter, isn't it?)

To my way of thinking, the 6-round-neutral requirement in ICORE is stifling. I like having multiple ways of engaging the stage, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best (for me) of several different possible strategies--

No disagreement here. I've had a chance to do a bunch of stages for our local winter evening club and "11 rd neutral" (worked out that way modifying an existing stage to fit the available space without lowering the round count) really worked well, forceing almost everyone to reload and helping level the playing field. The shooters liked it vs the std 8 rd BS.

I was thinking that with the magic of EZWinScore and the same people shooting the same stages sat and sun we'd have the chance to compare 6 major vs 8 minor (for instance) at the touch of a button. Depending on what people have signed up for there may also be a comparison basis for optics vs iron sights. The steel match saturday may give a basis for an optics vs iron comparison also. Faster, slower, or no real difference.

Seems like two issues USPSA (in particular) needs to deal with at some point.

To my way of thinking, the 6-round-neutral requirement in ICORE is stifling. I like having multiple ways of engaging the stage, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best (for me) of several different possible strategies--that's why USPSA Revolver remains my primary game. One thing you'll notice at ICORE matches--everybody shoots every field stage pretty much the same way. When you set out to make the stage 6-round-neutral, there's not a whole lot you can do to create multiple engagement options.

To my way of thinking, the 6-round-neutral requirement in ICORE is stifling. I like having multiple ways of engaging the stage, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out the best (for me) of several different possible strategies--

No disagreement here. I've had a chance to do a bunch of stages for our local winter evening club and "11 rd neutral" (worked out that way modifying an existing stage to fit the available space without lowering the round count) really worked well, forceing almost everyone to reload and helping level the playing field. The shooters liked it vs the std 8 rd BS.

Seems like two issues USPSA (in particular) needs to deal with at some point.

I may be getting a little off topic just a mite. What design I seem to like is the 9 shot sequence in a stage so both 8 and 6 shots have to do a reload then movement if necessary. A ten shot array with both steel and paper in an array. Never considered the 11 hit senario repeated in the stage...Until now... Thanx Tom. Now back to the topic... I still like the 38's but shoot what you got and have fun!!! later rdd

The beauty of USPSA Revo is the limitations to 6 rounds opens up the COF possibilities.

While ICOREs COF limits puts more emphasis on technique, vs a nimble, quick mind that sees all the angles.

I like both, but the wide open COF of USPSA always trumps on fun.

Except at the top levels I don't know as if the PF even has much affect.