Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Grip?

rtr

Nik,

Interesting. I didn't know people weren't using the extended slide stop. I've been using it for almost two years with no problems. Although I did go through one period where I experienced the slide not locking back during a couple of practice sessions. Seems I let my thumb slip from my normal thumb out of the way grip. I was shooting my work G22 yesterday, which I rarely do, and was having problems with the reloads. Well, not problems, but they were definately slower than with my G34.

I'm geographically pretty much limited to IDPA which favors slide lock reloads, so you can see why I favor the extended slide stop.

Howard

Howard,

I used to shoot a lot of IDPA and felt the same way you did. I was using Hogue gripsocks at the time and the extended release just wasn't a problem for me. At some point the grip socks came off the guns and my grip starteed changing slightly, and one night in practice I was shooting really well and attributing a lot of that to a more positive grip. However in the course of threehundred rounds or so, I locked the slide back about 8-10 times. I switched the slide release out that night and haven't missed it since. Why am I telling you all this? So that if you run into this problem somewhere down the line, you'll know that it's possible that the gun is mechanically o.k. and that you may be the cause of going to slide lock early. If that happens, you'll know what to do.....

Ditto.

With the grip that gives me the most control of the gun...the extended (Devil's) slide stop gets in the way. I'll add, it doesn't just cause the slide to lock back unexpectedly, it also gets nudged up and drags on the slide. Slowing the slide down with anything touching it is bad mojo.

Slide-lock reloads with the regular slide stop/release are not a problem.

• 2 months later...

I had my share of :o "unintended slide locks" a few years back until I figured out that it was caused by my thumb. Switched to righ hand thumb under the left hand thumb and solved the problem. Either way, the 40 cal is still a challenge for me to control causing too slow split times, more practice I guess.

• 7 years later...

I have been playing with my glock grip. I realized I was gripping way to hard a while back. I nuetralized my grip and canted my left hand to the point of unconfortable at first and now it seems very natural. I also moved my right hand foward and left of the front of the grip.

I have the extended slide lock and have yet to have an issue. I do have small hands, so that may be why it isn't an issue for me.

Pushing my right hand forward and left more and relaxing my grip along with having my thumbs not having any pressure on the slide/frame has dramaticaly improved a grip that for years of target shooting seemed gtg.

I know my grip is correct for me when I draw, if I feel a slight tension from the left hand cant and the right hand forward change.

Now I just have to keep practicing consistancy with my draw with this new position. Old (bad)habits are tough to break through.

Thanks for all the insight here.

I thought I had a pretty good grip technique going on with the Glocks as is, but after watching how Sevigny's elbows/arms are "pushed out" to the sides more (elbows bent out to the sides more so instead of just bent more down, almost overly exaggerated) and then noticing a couple vids and pics of Vogal doing pretty much the same type of thing, now I'm a convert too.

It's certainly counter-intuative at first (like most grip/stance technique things it seems), but the "elbows-out-to the-sides-thing" does seem to work really well and is now starting to feel more natural to me. I've noticed it helps the gun return to the same spot shot-to-shot and makes it easier for me to track the sights under recoil more so than I've experienced in the past, but the biggest gain I've experienced is that it also kind of forces one to have more strong-hand palm around the back of the frame and has more or less eliminated the tendency to sometimes print low-left with Glocks for me.

I don't know, it's worth checking out I guess, wish I'd noticed it and tried it sooner...

Dave Sevigny shows his grip, definitely helped me some

I thought I had a pretty good grip technique going on with the Glocks as is, but after watching how Sevigny's elbows/arms are "pushed out" to the sides more (elbows bent out to the sides more so instead of just bent more down, almost overly exaggerated) and then noticing a couple vids and pics of Vogal doing pretty much the same type of thing, now I'm a convert too.

It's certainly counter-intuative at first (like most grip/stance technique things it seems), but the "elbows-out-to the-sides-thing" does seem to work really well and is now starting to feel more natural to me. I've noticed it helps the gun return to the same spot shot-to-shot and makes it easier for me to track the sights under recoil more so than I've experienced in the past, but the biggest gain I've experienced is that it also kind of forces one to have more strong-hand palm around the back of the frame and has more or less eliminated the tendency to sometimes print low-left with Glocks for me.

I don't know, it's worth checking out I guess, wish I'd noticed it and tried it sooner...

I might post this stuff as a new thread. I just bought the practical shooting DVD's through BE's store and Mark Burkett mentions the same thing. He wasn't purely advocating for the elbow up, he was just having the student shooter in the video experiment with different heights.

Not sure if I'm converted yet, but I haven't spent many rounds yet. It just feels like there's more tension which I thought was something you're trying to avoid. But hey, if it works for Sevigny...