Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Powder/load Observations

DJPoLo

Beth and I just returned from the range after function-firing/practicing/load checking her new gun, Scooby27.

We shot four loads and compared our personal reactions. The loads were as follows:

V V N350 under 121 HAP

IMR 7625 under 121 HAP

IMR 4756 under 121 HAP

Hodgdon Titegroup under 115 Montana Gold CMJ

The three loads at the top of the list were (very) major and the last load was a minor/steel load.

We both came away with the same reactions to the loads which were backed up by video footage we shot detailing the effectiveness of the load working the comp. Here are our observations, YMMV:

N350 (which we had been shooting for the past nine months) was the least pleasing powder in our tests. Big flash, big "feeling" overall. Worked the comp the least (in the gun's defense, the comp is VERY effective and works much better than our "old" 9x21 Tangfolio/P9's).

7625 was a more effective load and I liked the smell of it a lot :lol: . It worked the comp quite nicely and/but had a noticeably louder/sharper report than the N350.

4756 was the best of the bunch. I believe this is the powder that Dave Dawson tests these guns with and I understand why. The report was sharp and loud, but the gasses worked the comp the best. It also smells nice to me :wub: . The other loads shot a bit low to where the gun was sighted in from Dawson Precision, but the 4756 load was right on the dot.

The Titegroup load wouldn't function the gun consistantly, but I am sure that is completely my fault. After arriving home tonight, I noticed that my load was .2 grains lower than the load Shred suggested to me. I must have made a mistake in my measurements and look forward to trying another Titegroup powder charge in the near future.

thanks for the info.. any chance of some chrono data???

Not yet. While we brought the chrono out with us, we never set it up. After getting off late from work tonight, we were having too much fun punching holes in paper and listening to the steel ring out after every shot. Plus, the gun had to sit on a shelf here for 18 days while we were away on holiday so we just wanted to shoot it for the first time!

In my Dawson Minigun, similar loads chrono about like so (in Supercomp or TJ brass)

121 HAP 9.1gr 4756 1386 fps 167 PF

121 HAP 8.0gr 7625 1403 fps 169 PF

121 HAP 8.5gr N350 1401 fps 169 PF

for minor/steel:

121 HAP 5.0gr Titegroup 1143 fps 138 PF (dirty)

121 HAP 6.6gr 4756 1114 fps 134 PF

121 HAP 6.8gr AA#5 997 fps 120 PF (dirty)

All usual loading disclaimers apply-- this is a short-barrelled gun with extra ports. YMMV.

WOW....similar results.

I just got back from the range and was testing several loads.

N 350 w/115gr bullet

N 350 w/125

7625 w/115

4756 w/125

AA7 w/115

Now I have been shooting N350 for a few years now.....I really thought it was awesome. But today I really focused on the report of the gun, how the dot traced, and the impact in my hand. Now this test was done with my new short gun, a picture can be found under the gallery. The comp has some big holes.....what that means, don't know thats why I am testing all of these loads.

The N350 was by far the most violent, especially with the 115's. Big flash also. The 125's with the N350 was a little better, but not by much.

The 7625 I expected to shoot a little better than it did. Was not bad, but was not great. I need to try this load with some 125's.

The 4756 was the best by far. No way to try the 115's because of case capacity. This load was the softest and gave the most predictable dot tracking of all of them. I really could not believe it at first but after several side by side comparisons it was true.

And then there is the ole' AA7 load. This shot pretty damn good, was harder in the hand than everything but the N350.

Now, does anyone know where you can buy bulk 4756? I think this is my new choice, if I can find the podwer.

• 8 months later...

How clean does the IMR 4756 shoot, in comparasion to VV N-350??

Although it sounds like the 4756 might shoot a little softer, I might give it a try. I've only shot N-350 through my "shorty" and after 500 rounds, it is still clean. I'm kind of lazy, and really like not having to clean gunk out of it like I have to do with my .40's, and .45's using WW231 powder

I HAD to try it. I picked up a can of 4756 yesterday and loaded a few at 8.5 grains. It did SEEM a little softer out of my "Bedell Shorty", but, was also running 100fps slower than my normal load with N-350. Accuracy was better than my normal load, all bullets were in one hole at 25 yards. Not just once, but, 3, five shot groups.

I'm going to bump it up to 9 grains(if I can fit it all in the cases), and try it again.

I tried 4756 in 9major about a month ago, and I couldn't make major with a completely full case / crushed powder 125gr load. I can dig up my data if you are interested. I think that I dropped 7.8ish? for a FULL case and only made about 160ish PF, and it was a pain to load.