Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

226 Elite in Production

mr renwick

My friend is looking for a 226 elite to shoot in production. I was wondering if any one had shot one in production and if so how did it do?

I used to shoot an old, German, 226 in production back in 2000 & 2001 I won Production division with it in our state match.

I THOUGHT I could do better with a Glock, but, I haven't won shit with it! :unsure:

I'm thinking of selling a Glock, or two! :roflol:

Not a sig fan, so couldnt tell you if the Elite version is approved for Production or not, but I know that the best P226 shooter in production division out there is probably Roger Sherman of the AF action pistol team. He has his trigger mechanisms modified with the shorter trigger, and does very well with them. I don't know if there are other mods, but suspect some re-springing is probably involved too. Roger is a GM in Open and a high M (earned) in production.

Roger shoots his gun really well..can't remember the sights he runs..but otherwise like most production guns it is pretty basic.. resprung, believe it has the short trigger in it.

couple of other shooters run Sigs..and do well too..neat gun..a gun I would like to try someday..

I am no good with names so I dont know if it is Roger or not but I thought the gentleman in the Air Force was shooting a X5 all around

I am shooting a all stainless 226 in 9mm right now and will probably buy a 226 elite stainless in 9mm. I think the beavertail will help with the initial grip on the draw. I have a friend with a elite 226 in 9mm with the alloy frame and it is nice but I think I will stick with the stainless frames for competition

Other than the beavertail you are paying for Night sites, nice grips(which I think are too big), and their SRT trigger which is ok but not stellar.

When they make the final decision(for now <_< ) on what is legal to do as far as trigger work I would like to get mine tuned up

I have shot my P226 in production, though I've been shooting mostly SS recently. I think the 226 Elite is Sig's attempt to address the rather long reset in stock Sig pistols. It's certainly a decent choice for USPSA production if the DA/SA platform works for the shooter. Roger Sherman and Husky Sig are two Sig shooters whose opinions I would value. They do really well with them.

eerw, if you have the interest you would be welcome to try my Bruce Gray P226 anytime.

There are a few Sig Sauer shooters who do really well in USPSA. Rodney May and Roger Sherman have been shooting Sigs for several years. Sig announced a few weeks ago at SHOT that Max Michel will be sponsored by Sig starting this season. I'm sure he'll do great too.

A Sig P226 Elite is a great pistol for Production, but there are less expensive platforms. Especially if your buddy is just getting into USPSA.

I use to have a P226 and was thinking about getting another one to shoot Production with. Does Sig still make the X5 All Around? I saw one in the ad of the latest issue of Front Sight, but it's not on Sig's web site.

Does Sig still make the X5 All Around? I saw one in the ad of the latest issue of Front Sight, but it's not on Sig's web site.

From a Sig Forum thread about SHOT Show:

One odd thing that I noticed was that there was an X5 Allround on display. Many of us believed that this was a discontinued firearm. When I inquired about it, I was told that SIG never discontinued the firearm, they just stopped listing it in the catalog. Dealers can get as many of them as they want to order.

One odd thing that I noticed was that there was an X5 Allround on display. Many of us believed that this was a discontinued firearm. When I inquired about it, I was told that SIG never discontinued the firearm, they just stopped listing it in the catalog. Dealers can get as many of them as they want to order.

Why would they want to list one of their most popular models? That would make too much sense... <_<

Yes I too understand they are available. If I didn't already have a really sweet 226 or two :surprise: the allround would be on my short list.

If I was to shoot prod. I would seek out the Allround over the Elite...IMHO

Does Sig still make the X5 All Around? I saw one in the ad of the latest issue of Front Sight, but it's not on Sig's web site.

From a Sig Forum thread about SHOT Show:

Well there you go! That makes perfect sense now! :rolleyes: Thanks for the info.

I competed last season with a 226 Blackwater. I did reasonably well, but the long D/A pull was a problem for me. Even with a Wolff 18lbs mainspring, the difference between the D/A and S/A pulls posed a bit of a problem; at least for me. My biggest issue with the Sig is the D/A trigger reach. Since I can't properly mount the pistol, I've always needed to 'cheat' the grip a bit which hardly lends itself to a satisfactory performance. Suffice it to say, be certain that the pistol you choose - Sig or not - fits your hand such that you can address the trigger properly.

I've since purchased a Springfield XDm in 9mm as a dedicated Production class pistol. The gun shoots beautifully out of the box, however there are many modifications available for the XDm platform that can enhance its competitive effectiveness; some are quite inexpensive. Try one on for size and see if you like it..significantly cheaper than a Sig.

BTW, I'm a big Sig fan.

Edited by Jungo2

Roger shoots his gun really well..can't remember the sights he runs..but otherwise like most production guns it is pretty basic.. resprung, believe it has the short trigger in it.

couple of other shooters run Sigs..and do well too..neat gun..a gun I would like to try someday..

I'm pretty sure Roger is running a Warren/Dawson combo, just like the sights on the new Sig USPSA Commemorative model (you can see it on their website). He has a pretty intensive trigger work/action job, lighter springs including 17lb or possibly 18lb mainspring and a custom sear spring and also probably a custom firing pin block spring. It has a custom, short reset mechanism and it was modified to dramatically reduce the DA pull weight mechanically (the mod means that it no longer has double strike capability)... He does not run a short trigger, as stated he does have a custom short reset mechanism which may have been causing the confusion.

As to the original post, a Sig P226 is a great gun to shoot production with, provided that you are familiar with and know how to quickly run the DA/SA trigger. By quickly, I mean prepping (actually pulling) the trigger hard through the entire draw so that the first DA shot breaks just at the moment that your arms reach full extension in your shooting position, or a tiny bit before. This saves you a lot of time on the initial DA pull, which is the most common complaint about Sig pistols. With a competition spring kit at a minimum, your friend should be able to run the Sig just fine.

Edited by Rln_21