Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder that would over flow 9mm if double charged

winter5470

I have been using Titegroup with 115 grain CMJ in 9 mm. I have been happy with it but at 4.2 grains it does not even fill half of the case. Does anybody have a powder they like for 9 mm that will overflow the case with a double charge?

Thanks

I have been using Titegroup with 115 grain CMJ in 9 mm. I have been happy with it but at 4.2 grains it does not even fill half of the case. Does anybody have a powder they like for 9 mm that will overflow the case with a double charge?

Thanks

Is this a major load?

For 9 Major I use VV N-350. It fills up the case for a 170 PF.

Bill

Sorry, I should have told you I shoot minor.

Chrono last week avg. over 10 rounds was 1149 from a glock 19. (range was 1104-1179)

I like the snappy feel of the TG. I get good accuracy.

I look in every case before puting a bullet in place. But I am sure a few people look in every case and still get a double charge. Just trying to reduce the chance of a double charge.

Edited by winter5470

VV N320 would fill your requirements.

Thanks

VV N320 would fill your requirements.

I'll second that recommendation. I use N320 in 9mm, and I think it's a very nice "feature" that there's no way to double charge the casing without that being very obvious through overflow. Actually, with this powder - and charge weights in the 3.8 to 4.4 grain range - there's not a whole helluva lot of air space left under the bullet when it's seated.

Alliant Power Pistol. I'm loading 5.7 gr. under a 115 JHP. It's doing around 1150 fps and is KILLER (in a good way) accurate. ES of never more than 30 fps. It's kind of the "sleeper" 9mm powder ie you don't hear of alot of folks using it, yet I've had fantastic results with it in my G17/G34. It is a touch on the snotty side, but runs the gun really flat and fast.

I can think of three options that you could do.

1. Keep it all the same. If you are checking inside of every case to check for double charges there is about 0 chance of one happening. Double charges don't just happen. To get one you would have to go down with the handle twice before bringing it up and rotating the shell plate to the next station, you would probably feel somthing different on that stroke...

2. Use the same powder with a lighter bullet. Although 115 is already pretty light, MG makes a 95 gr. bullet and Remington makes a deadly accurate 88 gr. JHP. By useing a lighter bullet is will take more powder to get up to minor power factor.

3. Switch to VVN320. Its very clean, gives very consistent readings on the chrono, and is probably a little more accurate.

Craig

Thanks all for the great ideas! I am new (1200 loads so far on a 550) to reloading. Surfing the forums I see people who claim to look into every case - load 90,000+ and then get a double charge. So mistakes happen even to the most experienced loader. I am guessing they are much more likely to a begginer.

PowerPistol: That powder will take you all the way to Major - so it is a safe choice for minor too. And, slow powders like PP and N350 are reported to deliver the very best accuracy in 9mm - though at the price of increased perceived recoil and additional muzzle blast.

For Minor only, you want to look at Solo 1000. It is very clean and is the BEST compromise between excellent feel and great accuarcy.

Alliant Power Pistol. I'm loading 5.7 gr. under a 115 JHP. It's doing around 1150 fps and is KILLER (in a good way) accurate. ES of never more than 30 fps. It's kind of the "sleeper" 9mm powder ie you don't hear of alot of folks using it, yet I've had fantastic results with it in my G17/G34. It is a touch on the snotty side, but runs the gun really flat and fast.
Edited by Carlos

I am much more worried about loading a case with NO powder, a squib, than I am a double charge.

Dillon sells a sensor that fits into the (normally empty) station 3 on the 650 that goes off if the casing (1) has a double charge, (2) has no powder at all. Though I realize the chances of either occurrence are small indeed, still I'm awating delivery of my unit, just for the peace-of-mind factor.

700X overfills the case with a double charge. I use 4.5 gr under a 115 gr Berry, for 1140 or so out of my G17. I don't know why I like it, but I do. Oh yeah, 700X is cheeeeeaaaap.

+1 on 700X. Started using it in 9mm minor because I had a keg left over from my trap shooting days. A double charge will definately overfill and spill.