Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range bag as checked luggage?

As far as using TSA locks on a hardside case, check the Airline Reg. The last couple of times I checked it stated that the handguns had to be locked in a case that only the owner had the keys or combo to.

Alan

TSA locks are combination locks. With a master key that only TSA has.

From the TSA website:

# The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.

# We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

From the Advisory referenced in my previous post.

Access to the declared firearm must be restricted, with only the passenger possessing the container combination or key to the lock. During the screening process, TSA may notify the passenger that the hard-sided container must be opened for inspection. In this event, it is preferred that the passenger turn over the key or combination to the screener. If the combination is sensitive, the passenger may unlock the lock, but TSA personnel must open the container.

Do TSA locks satisfy this? Why would you need to give the combo/key if it is a TSA lock?

From the Advisory referenced in my previous post.
Access to the declared firearm must be restricted, with only the passenger possessing the container combination or key to the lock. During the screening process, TSA may notify the passenger that the hard-sided container must be opened for inspection. In this event, it is preferred that the passenger turn over the key or combination to the screener. If the combination is sensitive, the passenger may unlock the lock, but TSA personnel must open the container.

Do TSA locks satisfy this? Why would you need to give the combo/key if it is a TSA lock?

TSA locks do not satisfy this, since TSA has their own key.

I think people tend to be a bit more panicky about this than they need to be. I've had very little trouble flying with guns, in fact my wife gets ticked that I have less problems with the guns then she does without!

I had on one trip, my baggage with the pistol case in it, thrown on the conveyor and disappear before I had a chance to tell them there was a gun in it....and this happened on both the flight out and the return flight! Both times it showed up, unmolested, and yes, this was after 9/11.

Traveling with firearms is generally not an issue. NYC excluded.

For handguns, have them in a locked hard case and declare them at the counter. I have had the counter agent walk me to the TSA xray and wait while they get screened, I have alos had them point me to the TSA xray and I waited while they were screened.

I have a gear bag that my range bag will fit in and regardless if I am flying or driving to a major match the range bag is in the gear bag, out of sight out of mind, not conspicuous.

And you should have aTSA lock for your gun case.

No. You don't want a TSA lock. You want to use a lock that only you have the key for. The TSA will ask you to unlock the case, then they will check it, place the tag in the case, and ask you to re-lock it. Then the case goes on the conveyor belt.

For clarification: I've traveled with firearms some times before this next trip. This time the difference is that I'm not bringing another bag thus wanted to bring my range bag on board as carry-on and thought about keeping my mags in the range bag. Now I know MAGS are NO-GO.

I put my guns case inside my main suitcase. The suitcase is locked with a TSA lock. My gun case is locked with two different keyed Master locks. The gun case has an inscription that reads something like: "Federal Law requires this case be locked after declaring to airline. For inspection please contact {INSERT MY CELL NO HERE}."

I will also check my range bag (closed with zip ties) and bring a small back pack for the stuff I want on-board with me.

Thank you all for the info!

The gun case has an inscription that reads something like: "Federal Law requires this case be locked after declaring to airline.

Might as well post a sign "Something very interesting is inside this case".

I just have a label "Owner's cell: ..................."

That's why I figured I would put the case in a larger luggage bag... out of sight....

The gun case has an inscription that reads something like: "Federal Law requires this case be locked after declaring to airline.

Anybody gets to that case is already going through my luggage. Doesn't matter what it says whoever wants to steal it, will.

Anybody gets to that case is already going through my luggage. Doesn't matter what it says whoever wants to steal it, will.

Maybe but when they get to that thong underwear you're so fond of they're going to be really, really sorry. :rolleyes: