Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel lengths

twister

If you have to have 1 revolver, what barrel length would be the best? I'm not really interested in shooting IDPA, mainly USPSA, any ICORE matches I might be able to get to. Just trying to decide if I need a 4" or a 5" 625. Thanks for your help, Dave

Virtually everybody on the "revolver super squad" at the 2008 USPSA Nationals shot a 5" 625.

If you need to keep the door open to using it for IDPA, you'll need a 4". Otherwise, get the 5" and don't look back.

+1

5 is perfect for USPSA and ICORE.

Let your eyes decide. I bought a four inch but my eyes decided a five was the right size.

If the game rules don't like your eyes, change the game you play.

Virtually everybody on the "revolver super squad" at the 2008 USPSA Nationals shot a 5" 625.

If you need to keep the door open to using it for IDPA, you'll need a 4". Otherwise, get the 5" and don't look back.

+1

5 is perfect for USPSA and ICORE.

What barrel profile do most people on the super squad shoot? Is it a full lug, 3/4 lug, etc? Thanks!

What barrel profile do most people on the super squad shoot? Is it a full lug, 3/4 lug, etc? Thanks!

Mostly you see the full-lug "regular" 625s (including Jerry's), with a PC 5.25" gun here and there (Cliff had one of those, but he accidentally blew it up back in the fall).

If you have to have 1 revolver, what barrel length would be the best? I'm not really interested in shooting IDPA, mainly USPSA, any ICORE matches I might be able to get to. Just trying to decide if I need a 4" or a 5" 625. Thanks for your help, Dave

If your shooting open its not going to matter much, actually maybe the 4" might be better for you.... it will be lighter. If iron then I would opt for the 5" longer sight radius also probably a bit more accurate.

If you wanna see a sweet 4"open S&W 327 that I built send me your e-mail I'll forward picts to you.

• 3 weeks later...

If you wanna see a sweet 4"open S&W 327 that I built send me your e-mail I'll forward picts to you.

Thanks to advice from Carmoney, I scoured gunbroker for a 5" 625 and found one for $730. They are out there, but you have to keep searching religiously!

These days I think you can probably find a nice old 25-2 for about the same money as a 5" 625. I saw a beautiful 25-2 at the last gun show, looked unfired in a perfect presentation case, but just couldn't bring myself to pay $850 for it. A couple years from now I'll probably kick myself for not grabbing it....