Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster DQs

Seth

I've been using a CR for quite a while. I did have a dropped gun DQ when the start position involved putting your hands behind you touching th sides of a barricade. As my strong hand came forward I bumped the magwell dislodging the gun.

Tonight was my first night shooting a Ribas that I have temporarily borrowed for testing. I do agree with the lock on the gun will not come out. In the unlocked position the gun is more solid if hit from the magwell but less so if bumped at the muzzle. Bumping the muzzle is more likely from a kneeling/sitting start.

So far each holster seems to have it's good and bad points. My main reason for trying the Ribas is to avoid the holster digging into my leg like the CR does.

Whatever you are comfortable with. Going to the bladetech without the drop, you're giving away a few tenths a stage, but if it makes you comfortable and not worry about it...

A few tenths per stage where you need to stand and shoot....

...if you need to take a step or two, I think it's pretty much a wash....

While I have a preference for Kydex, I think it also really comes down to "pick one, learn its idiosyncrasies and practice...."

+1. I just started shooting Limited, but after having a Ghost for a while, I decided I just didn't want to trade that tenth for my peace of mind during the 99% of the time I'm not shooting, so my Limited sits in a BladeTech, with no DOH, just trimmed to SS specifications. Makes my trading off between the divisions easier. Being a B shooter and realizing I won't put in the work for GM, I don't think it'll slow me down all that much.

<_< My DQ- using my Ghost- show clear,slide forward,hammer down and holster!

Put my open gun in- then it bounced right out again,slid down my right leg,muz.

pointing back and got it before it hit the ground! Nice save my expensive gun was saved

from hitting the ground- THEN the DQ came! The business end was facing my fellow

shooters-yes it was empty "BUT" First DQ- ever! NUF SAID :angry2:

I quess I would have been better off letting it hit the deck!

It would have been a DQ anyway if they had not called the range clear. I really slow down for the holster part at the end of the COF. RO's are even leaning hard wanting to go down range and I'm still holstering. There is no prize for holstering fast. I make sure the lock is on for my Ghost. If there is a questionable start position I either use the lock in the position that I can flick it off on the draw or I unlock it during the walk through. A dropped gun then is not a DQ.

I DQ'd with a CR speed. Went from a 1911 to STI. I used the CR speed for well over a year with the 1911 with no problems and loved it. I could never get it adjusted right for the STI. It was either too loose or so tight it yanked my pants up during draw. I could never get the trigger guard height right either. The stage I was on required you to shove a car door closed to activate 2 targets. The RO's said the door required a good shove to activate them so I put a good bit of shove on it when the timer went off. My hand went to the gun and it wasn't there. My hip snapped pretty hard when I shoved and the gun did a flip out of the holster landing at my feet.

After that I switched to a Ghost. I loved the CR speed. But after that situation I really wanted the ability to lock the gun whem you started in "weird" positions. For me it was a choice between the Limcat, Ghost, and Universal (may actually be another brand) because you could hit the unlock fast. Ghost won out for $$ and availability at the time.

I always felt kind of spooky about the Ghost in the unlocked position until I read the article in the Front Sight where the guy used the pen to activiate the little hook. I didn't even know it had that. I always thought the little tab thing was what held the gun in place in "unlocked" position and didn't realize that tab actually activated a hook.

Having said all of that I have a DOH I use for 3 gun. I figured the one time you draw per stage and the .10 seconds you lose with a DOH wasn't going to be a big deal on a 30-60 second stage. Plus it would provide more protection for the gun while shooting the others in say... prone. Before Ft. Benning I used it regularly at local matches etc. Honestly, I don't think it made a bit of difference in draw speed. However, it was a little bit uncomfortable for me to draw because it cants the gun outward. I feel like I'm drawing up and out with it. Having royally screwed my elbow up over the summer that motion can be a little uncomfortable for me.

Thanks guys. This has been an informative (at least for me!) read.

My CR makes me feel much warmer and fuzzier on ULASC with the muzzle platform and the click... but it ISN'T more secure 'locked' than the limcat. The limcat doesn't really scare me anywhere other than during the reholster during LAMR and ULASC. I suppose the counsel I'm taking to heart is pick one, learn its idiosyncrasies and run with it.

I'm not man enough to tell my wife that I am buying a Gugas at $300.....

:o

So far each holster seems to have it's good and bad points. My main reason for trying the Ribas is to avoid the holster digging into my leg like the CR does.

I'm positive you can adjust the CR so that there is more space between the holster and your leg.

I'm positive you can adjust the CR so that there is more space between the holster and your leg.

The CR is THE most adjustable holster I've owned for sure. Every angle you can possibly imagine. Mine came with all these wedges you could use to make compound angles between the holster and the belt too. The Ghost has this hinge. For me, to adjust the gun out means the bottom of the hanger presses against my leg more.

When my CR Speed is locked I can't even pull it out...

Try a little harder. I thought the same thing until I plopped the gun from bumping a desk during dry fire

I think it depends a lot on how much you remove from the bottom of the trigger guard. The design for a full one and I know mine isn't anywhere near that thick anymore.

Edited by JThompson

I do have 2 spacers moving it pretty far now. With a fullsize open gun the muzzle platform is pretty long, plus I have legs the size of 30 year pine trees.

One update, today I went to livefire practice using the Ribas and dropped my Limited gun picking up a mag. True the holster was unlocked but normally with the CR this wouldn't have happened. I'll keep playing with it but right now I'm leaning towards my old CR with another spacer.

... or I unlock it during the walk through. A dropped gun then is not a DQ.

Dang Fireant! I knew there was a reason I kept you around besides your passionate love of the Gators. :roflol: That's a damned good idea. I wish I had that of it. Thanks. :cheers:

I have been using the CR speed for quite a while now, it took me a bit of time to get it set so I was happy with it, and I love the holster. I have the trigger gaurd shimmed to a perfect fit, I find the bar has lots of tension to hold the gun in place, and can push & bang on the magwell and it is very secure from popping forward while unlocked. I find on the draw, I need to snap the gun out, it's a clean release and I can easily feel reasonable tension holding the gun in place. I'm sure a gun could be pulled out while locked, the material it is made of could contribute to that- bending, flexing or whatever. I have never really "tried" to pull my gun out while locked, but for mine at least it would take alot to get it out. Odd starting positions should make us always attentive to our holstered guns, but thats the price for using alot of these speed holsters on the market. I have shot in the morning, and Ro'ed for a big part of the remainder of the day, picked brass, patched, etc... when I packed my gear up I discovered my holster wasn't locked when I went to bag my gun.

Edited by Jody Waring

I do have 2 spacers moving it pretty far now. With a fullsize open gun the muzzle platform is pretty long, plus I have legs the size of 30 year pine trees.

One update, today I went to livefire practice using the Ribas and dropped my Limited gun picking up a mag. True the holster was unlocked but normally with the CR this wouldn't have happened. I'll keep playing with it but right now I'm leaning towards my old CR with another spacer.

Many folks that try them at first don't have the tension adjusted nearly as high as it should be. For one, the tension gets higher when the knob is turned counterclockwise and I think this fools people. Two, it feels faster to have it set light...but it's not. You should be able to have more than enough tension to keep the gun from falling out just from bending over.

The key with this sort of holster is to lock it if you're doing anything but getting ready to draw. I build in a routine that I always lock after holstering and always check the lock before drawing....can't forget either way.

If you decide to get rid of it, what color is it and does it have the smooth or knurled tension knob? I might be in the market for another one :)

Right. If its blue, its yours... if its not, I want the perfect set of 4.

Like the Barack Obama Commemorative plates on sale on TV... need all 4 for a complete set.

Edited by Seth

Right. If its blue, its yours... if its not, I want the perfect set of 4.

Like the Barack Obama Commemorative plates on sale on TV... need all 4 for a complete set.

Hmmmm...I might be willing to concede on black, even though I asked first, but I'd want to know which version it is first...LOL.

Oh drat.....what if it's red or gold?