Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Weights in Single Stack

Gary Stevens

This is in the FWIW area and provided as a point of reference.

I just weighed my guns on my replacement electronic scale after being checked and calibrated with check weights from the factory.

My Springfield Armory 45 with Wilson magazine weighed 40.0. This gun is a fairly traditional gun, Bo-Mar's, normal steel guide rod, Heinie Mag well (which requires a bit of metal to be milled off the frame), extended mag button, beaver tail, and is flat topped and serrated, front strap is checkered 20 LPI.

My STI 40 cal. weighed in at 41.6 with a Wilson mag. It has all the same equipment as the Springfield except it has an STI tri-top slide.

My Colt/STI 38 Super with a Wilson mag weighed in at 40.8. It also has the same equipment as the other guns and also has an STI tri-top slide, and the frame is checkered at 30 LPI.

Hope this helps out with the maximum weight rule which is 43 ounces.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Did you guys already own scales suitable for this??? or buy them???.... or what??? I have a hard time justifying such a purchase for what I would hope to be a one time 2 minute event.

Maybe I should talk one of the clubs I shoot at to buy some scales,

Or maybe I can just walk into my local post office in the morning with three 1911s stuck in my waistband and ask them to be weighed:lol:

Being the "Daddy" of the Single Stack Division and having written most of the rules, I thought it would be a good idea for me to have my guns weighing correctly. I know some of my Buddys who would love to bounce me to Open for having an overweight gun :surprise:

That being said the scale cost 35 bucks, it will weigh up to 35 pounds, and can be used at matches I attend, or for other purposes.

Gary

Or maybe I can just walk into my local post office in the morning with three 1911s stuck in my waistband and ask them to be weighed:lol:

Mark,

I called Kinko's ahead of time and asked them if I could bring in a gun to weigh. They had no problem with it.

All of my Les Baers with a FLGR and S&A magwell are in the 42.8oz range with an empty Wilson mag. I know IDPA isn't an equipment race, but I had to spend more money on my IDPA gun to get it legal. But a 9mm can weigh 43oz's.....

I ended up putting on an aluminum guide rod from Briley and using an aluminum S&A magwell to get the gun under 41 oz's.

Thanks Chris

Staples can probably help in the same way. Or I'll just do it at the post office..... maybe I'll box the guns and have them weighed.... then take them to my car and un-box them and have the post office weigh the boxes. I'm betting my math teacher daughter could explain to me how to calulate the net weight with those inputs:)

I have two 45s and one 9mm that need to be weighed.

I clearly don't want to buy a scale for a one time event.

Gary,

Your post made me run downstairs and pull out the Kitchen scale.

My Kimber is 33.5 with a KimPro 8 round and 33.75 with a McCormick 10 round.

How can I be that much (7 ounces) under your guns? It is with an empty mag, correct?

Mike,

What model Kimber is your pistol?

Thanks Chris

Staples can probably help in the same way. Or I'll just do it at the post office..... maybe I'll box the guns and have them weighed.... then take them to my car and un-box them and have the post office weigh the boxes. I'm betting my math teacher daughter could explain to me how to calulate the net weight with those inputs:)

I have two 45s and one 9mm that need to be weighed.

I clearly don't want to buy a scale for a one time event.

I did my last weighing at my gunsmith but prior to that I got 2 priority mail boxes and put the gun in one and left the other empty. Sealed them up and went to a place where things are shipped :rolleyes: and weighed both on the self-serve postage machine. Subtract the weight of the empty box from the weight of the full box and you have gun weight.

Later,

Chuck

Gary,

How can I be that much (7 ounces) under your guns? It is with an empty mag, correct?

Mike,

Chuck,

It is a Tactical Custom II (bone stock) in .45. I checked the Kimber site, and they show it as 31 ounces. I guess based on how it feels to me I was expecting my pea shooter to be closer in weight to the modified guns. :wacko:

Mike "Ignore the flailing of arms" Schramm

Gary,

Mike,

Chuck,

It is a Tactical Custom II (bone stock) in .45. I checked the Kimber site, and they show it as 31 ounces. I guess based on how it feels to me I was expecting my pea shooter to be closer in weight to the modified guns. :wacko:

Mike,

Your gun has an alloy frame. The chubby guns mentioned above are steel framed.

Later,

Chuck

Gary,

Mike,

Chuck,

Mike,

Your gun has an alloy frame. The chubby guns mentioned above are steel framed.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

STI Trojan .40, standard STI steel guid rod. I replaced the fire control parts with the following: Koenig hammer, EGW sear, C&S disconnector, M2i extended firing pin, SV trigger with short curved insert, Ti hammer strut, AFTEC, SV wide ambis, Ed Brown mag release button, and Techwell XT cut shorter but only slightly. With a Wilson 47NX mag that I put the longer basepad from a DE and then trimmed slightly the whole package weighs 40.8oz on my digital postal scale.

Just weighed my .40 Caspian with a nx47 Wilson mag, S&A magwell, came in at 42.0. My.40 Kimber with the same equipment came in at 41.1 ounces. This is on one of those $35 scales from Office Depot. We compared weights on 3 different scales and they varied all over the place. One of them was a fairly expensive postal scale. It was different by about .2 of an ounce...

Skip

Edited by BadShot

Weighed my Caspian Single Stack (No metal removed from under the grips)

.45acp

Serrated Flat top slide

Race Ready Frame - Tactical option

Wood grips

Steel Arched Main Spring Housing - Checkered

Checkered Front Strap

Weighed with three different mags.

Two Different style of McCormick

McCormick Power Mag - 41.8 ozs

McCormick Mag - 42 ozs

ACT Power Mag - 42.1 ozs

-Alan

I got my digital scale at Office Max for less than $40.

For anyone building a Caspian frame, you have to mill out the panel under the grips if you have any hopes of making weight. Those frames have a lot of extra beef on them.

:ph34r: How is "my precious" lookin', Matt ? ;)

Edited by baerburtchell

I have a few Single Stacks but my best balanced one is probably also the most plain jane.

Kimber Custom II, box stock except for springs, fiber optic front sight (fixed factory rear) Ergo grips and blued steel SV magwell. It weighs 40.5oz with a Les Baer 8rd mag.

Edited by HighVelocity