Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack legal gun springs

HSMITH

Hello: For my 45 and 40 I use a 14lb ISMI recoil spring and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. For minor loads I use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring. For my 9mm I use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring that was used in my 45 for 2 years and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. I want to try a 9lb recoil and 15lb mainspring in the 9mm but have not done so yet for minor loads. Thanks, Eric

I'm using a 14# recoil and 19# mainspring in my .45 w/ loads right at 170 PF. It's been running good for the last 1K or so, but I'm wondering what effect a 12.5# recoil and 17# mainspring will have.

I understand how to gauge if the recoil spring is correct for the load, but how does one know if they need a lighter/heavier mainspring? Go with the lightest MS possible without problems?

Thanks for the help

Hello: For my 45 and 40 I use a 14lb ISMI recoil spring and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. For minor loads I use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring. For my 9mm I use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring that was used in my 45 for 2 years and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. I want to try a 9lb recoil and 15lb mainspring in the 9mm but have not done so yet for minor loads. Thanks, Eric

Tried the 9lb and 15lb combo in 9mm. It is really to soft a combination and had feeding issues with every hand load I tried. Only thing that worked well was facotry ammo.

Changed to 12.5 and 17 works 100% and feels about the same as the 9lb combo.

On my .40s and .45s I run a 14# recoil spring and a 17# MS. On my 9mm gamer guns I run a 9# recoil spring and 17#MS. I tried running a 12.5 recoil on my SS once like I do in limited but had some issues....may or may not have been related to a lite spring so might need to try again.

• 5 months later...

I've been reading a lot on here and I'm wondering what the motivation is for a lighter main spring. My gun still has whatever main spring came in it and I'm perfectly happy with the trigger. I may change to a slightly lighter recoil spring, but I'm reluctant to change main springs to anything lighter as it seems like an invitation for potential problems.

Am I crazy to think that a heavier main spring is better as long as it doesn't create an unacceptable trigger pull?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...