Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being a hardhead no gun cleaning dummy...

Merlin Orr

My AR mentor has preached to me since I shot my first shot with an AR. CLEAN YOUR GUN! Every match... Completely clean the gun and it will never let you down....

How quickly we I forget.... Shot my AR in two carbine matches in a row with no cleaning. Second match - 300 or so rounds since cleaning had the first EVER jam with my trusty rifle. Nightmare jam from hell double feed cram jamb took 50 friggin seconds to clear on my 4th stage. Oh the pain - Oh the cussing...Blamed it on my perfect (until that time) mag dumping on me. Next stage - yep...again - different mag though. OK Merlin...whats wrong with your rifle? One good look into the port was all I needed to know. DIRTY ....I mean real dirty.

There is no slack for poor maintenance habits. Murphy always lurks in the shadows waiting for lazy dumbasses....

There is no slack for poor maintenance habits. Murphy always lurks in the shadows waiting for lazy dumbasses....

I got caught the last local rifle match when my trusty MP5 had its first ever jam...still makes me a little sick...but its been over 2000 rounds since the last major cleaning so I got what I deserved.

bummer dude.

What kind of ammo are you guys using (dirty)? I've put about 3k of XM193 through my favorite game rifle and done nothing more than pull a bore snake through it and wipe down the BCG with oil every 200 rounds or so.

Famous last words :roflol: Don't worry you won't have a problem until all your buddies are standing around watching

Factory fresh...American Eagle 115 or S&B 115

Handloads for me.... Should be pretty clean ammo. I double refine my bat guano saltpeter and use only hardwood charcoal in making my powder....

I may have just let it get too dry... Running all superlight components and reduced buffer and spring to boot....

If it isn't leaking oil like an old radial engine you better be cleaning it. With enough oil the bad stuff goes where bad stuff isn't a big deal and the gun runs.

Howard, I hope that only applies to your AR. If not, bring your open/limited gun to DoubleTap Championship in March. I'll bring the carb cleaner and brushes. :rolleyes:

If it isn't leaking oil like an old radial engine you better be cleaning it. With enough oil the bad stuff goes where bad stuff isn't a big deal and the gun runs.

Howard, I hope that only applies to your AR. If not, bring your open/limited gun to DoubleTap Championship in March. I'll bring the carb cleaner and brushes. :rolleyes:

If you could only see them once in a while bud!! I usually clean them because I am embarrassed by the black smegma running down the sides, or the mags don't drop free anymore from the gunk in the frame, that actually happened LOL but a rag on a cleaning rod while in the holster fixed her up for another couple stages to finish the match :surprise: . Guys that shoot with me can verify I am really bad about it. Between having no time, only a little desire, and guns that run some things get left behind. I had to laugh last fall, windy weather and I am LAMR, popper falls and I hear it, look and yes it is down, so I unload, show clear and explain to the RO why I am unloading, he says OK, he looks in the gun to see that it is clear and starts harassing me about what sort of animal shat in me blaster etc, get everything safe, popper set and go to LAMR again, whip out a nice shiny mag, look at the back to verify round count, and the RO mumbles that I should be using condoms to put nice magazines that nice in a gun that nasty. I had to take a minute to get composed enough to shoot as bad as I normally do, that was funny.

When it is cold I fill 'er up with oil and shoot, when it is warm I fill 'er up with slide glide lite and let it rip. Keep adding oil and it is all good, slide glide stays so long it'll run till you are embarrassed.