Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a frame drilled for an SJC C-More mount in Production?

ciscoip

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was interested in using a Glock 17 frame that was drilled for a SJC C-More mount and using a spare G35 top end for Production. Is the fact that the frame has a couple extra holes going to make this illegal?
I sure hope not.

Yep --- drilling holes in the frame is not on the list of approved modifications.....

Enter in production, welcome to competing in Open.....

I would send John Amidon an email and explain. Maybe you could put black setscrews in the holes and fill them and they let that go. I would hope some common sense would prevail here and see that this isnt a mod for performance gain but a reuse of an existing frame and realize there is no advantage gained. But I have been wrong before.

It is illegal to have extra holes (even if filled) on the exterior of your Production gun.

I don't think it's a matter of common sense or the fact that they don't do anything...it just that that is where the line in the rules was drawn.

It SHOULDN'T matter and I'd get a ruling because people can't often look past the obvious and will think that it actually does matter. I'll say this about our sport, when it comes to some of the scared "chicken little/sky is falling" rules, that after watching our local long precision/sniper rifle club match today.....shooting the pistol is no longer looking like fun.

Rich

Edited 'cause I love Kyle.

Edited by uscbigdawg

It'd be nice if there were a "competitive advantage" caveat in the rule book...

I'm not about to fill the holes up permanently with JB weld. I was just wanting to shoot Open, Limited, and Production with one frame and multiple top ends.

I don't think that it is legal to use a G35 slide on a G17 or G34 frame, at least in Production? So to make a long story short you will need to get a Production/Limited gun and use the drilled gun for Open. I had just a little piece of grip tape on my G34 in the wrong spot at Nationals and I got thrown into open. They are picky but it is all for a good reason, rules are rules if you don't like them you're in the wrong sport.

Unless you research the serial numbers you'll have a hard time telling the difference between a 35, 34, or 17 frame (assuming ejectors are changed).

So does that make it legal?

I didn't mean to imply that I think it is legal or that I condone breaking the rules. I just said you can't tell the difference between the frames of the three models.

What's the difference in switching frames among those three guns and getting a replacement frame for whatever reason from Glock?

Edited by SDM

I would say the putting a 35 upper on a "17" frame wouldnt be a problem if it didnt have the holes. The frame is the exact same frame for the 17, 17L, 22, 24,31, 34 and 35. There is absolutely no difference in the frames what so ever. The frames are not marked per model number so there really is no way to know what the gun originally was without a call to glock. I know I have seen used guns for sale where the serial number didnt match so who is to know what that gun originally started out as.

If you crack your frame, and get it replaced they are going to give you a full size, small frame which is a generic frame there is really no such thing as a 17, 17L, 22, 24,31, 34 and 35 frame as there is no markings on the frame only on the slide

Edited by EkuJustice

Unless you research the serial numbers you'll have a hard time telling the difference between a 35, 34, or 17 frame (assuming ejectors are changed).

I didn't mean to imply that I think it is legal or that I condone breaking the rules. I just said you can't tell the difference between the frames of the three models.

What's the difference in switching frames among those three guns and getting a replacement frame for whatever reason from Glock?

The difference is the replacement frame is legal and switching frames is not. :roflol:

I'm not saying that it should be illegal. I'm just saying that it's not allowed under the current rules. It is one of those areas that seems silly to me, however the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I don't think that it is legal to use a G35 slide on a G17 or G34 frame, at least in Production?

This is legal. The stripped lower used with the G17, G22, G34 and G35 are exactly the same, and carry the same part number. I had confirmation of this from JA several years ago. Shooting a Glock that has external non-factory modifications other than the ones approved is not.

The frame is the same part for the 17, 34, and 35, so swapping them is legal. It would be like ordering a replacement frame for a Glock...they're all the same. The issue isn't putting a 35 top-end on a 17 frame, it's that the 17 frame might have a couple extra holes in it from an SJC mount.

Edited by ciscoip

I believe we are driftng a little. I was only commenting on the question below. The frame with the mount holes wouldn't be legal in production.

I don't think that it is legal to use a G35 slide on a G17 or G34 frame, at least in Production? ...

If it matches the profile of the gun then its legal. The lone wolfs wernt because they had forward serrations. If its a glock lower, with a glock upper who really cares if its bought that way, or put together that way. So this glock 34 is legal because its bought factory, but this one thats the exact same isnt because he ordered the frame and slide seperately online.

I would send John Amidon an email and explain. Maybe you could put black setscrews in the holes and fill them and they let that go. I would hope some common sense would prevail here and see that this isnt a mod for performance gain but a reuse of an existing frame and realize there is no advantage gained. But I have been wrong before.

I'd really like to hear JA's take on this.