Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a sight like this exist?

TLD

Take a look at the sketch. It doesn't have to be exactly like this, but the general idea is that

1. both aps are same plane,

2. the standard carbine LR has a notch

3. and the other ap is threaded to take NM apertures.

I've seen the different features but not together on the same flip aperture

I would use it on my 3 gun AR carry handle A2 sight.

AR_aperture.pdf

Edited by TLD

I have not seen one exactly like the drawing. You could possibly make one though.

I use a front sight post that looks like a golf ball on a tee, the ball is .054". I painted the ball flourescent orange. I look over the top of the rear sight and use the orange ball like a red dot on the close stuff. It works pretty good for me.

Hurley

Tld - looks interesting.

For fast upclose shooting, there is a technique called shooting the notch. instead of looking at the front post through the rear ap, you simply center the front post over the rear ap. this is faster than trying to aquire a picture through the rear and it also takes care of the the sight bore offset we deal with on the ar platform. your rear ap gives a reference point to help make shooting the notch more accurate, but im guessing that would be at a price of a touch of speed. in return you could extend the distance that you could shoot the notch.

pc

Tld - looks interesting.

For fast upclose shooting, there is a technique called shooting the notch. instead of looking at the front post through the rear ap, you simply center the front post over the rear ap. this is faster than trying to aquire a picture through the rear and it also takes care of the the sight bore offset we deal with on the ar platform. your rear ap gives a reference point to help make shooting the notch more accurate, but im guessing that would be at a price of a touch of speed. in return you could extend the distance that you could shoot the notch.

pc

That's what I've been doing for the short range stuff. The notch may not be an advantage, but I'd like to try it. I saw it on another sight and thought it would be cool to try.

Probably as close as your gonna get. Linky

Thanks!

Could you thread the big aperture to accept NM inserts? I'd like to have the option of a .46 or something for 300 yards +.

Doesn't say if it's the same plane, or it's early and I didn't see it. :unsure:

You wouldn't be able to flip it would you? (with an NM insert)

I know XS makes a same plane sight, but that one has one standard size hole and one big ol' ghost ring size.

You wouldn't be able to flip it would you? (with an NM insert)

I know XS makes a same plane sight, but that one has one standard size hole and one big ol' ghost ring size.

There are flat NM inserts, but I've never used one. I have a hooded on my gun. Might require some tinkering.

If I had to choose between the notch and sameplane w/ NM insert, I'd loose the notch.

I think I'll get the same plane non-tritium below anyway. Maybe big aperture can be set up to take a flat insert. Sounds like a winter project.

tactical1.jpg

Edited by TLD

I installed the CSAT on a Colt A1 commando upper AR.

The sights do work as advertised, however the apeture with the pistol sight notch is really almost too close to your face to actually see/appreciate/pick up the sides of it.

If you hold a 1911 about 14 inches from your face you will see what I mean, it's like the rear sight is so close you cant use it.

You CAN use it though, and it works, but I think running a standard close range (big) aperture is just as quick for precision shooting.

It is cool, I would not put it on a match gun

Tld - looks interesting.

pc

That's what I've been doing for the short range stuff. The notch may not be an advantage, but I'd like to try it. I saw it on another sight and thought it would be cool to try.

I tried one of the notch rear sights from XS, and decided that it isn't the thing for me. Due to close distance of your eye to the rear sight, a peep sight works perfectly, but the notch sight is hard for me to use properly (blurry and hard to keep in the correct plane). While I thought I would really like it, now I think you'd be better off just shooting the notch.

Good luck!

There's this:

diamonHeadSight1.jpg

diamonHeadSight2.jpg

Not that it does you any good. It doesn't have the notch you are looking for. I do think the peeps are on the same plane though.

Me?

I just use the typical A2 (I think??) type sight with the large and small peeps on different planes. Now, granted I wasn't in the Army or the Marines, so I don't have a firm grasp of the ballistic concept behind how it works, but for me the large peep works like a ghost ring rear for the close stuff, maybe out to 50 yards. It is extremely fast. :surprise:

For stuff at 100 yards and 200 yards, I flip to the small peep and it turns out to be right on. Maybe it was designed to be like that or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Either way, I like it. :cheers:

Can you use the tip of the flip aperture as a screw driver? :roflol: What do you like about the diamond over the circle?

That's how they taught me to do it.

I like the smaller A2 peep for everything , except really close, I "shoot the notch."

I'd like a very fine peep, like a NM aperture, for 200-300 and greater, and all in the same plane. Maybe it's not necessar, but I'd like to try it.

There's this:

diamonHeadSight1.jpg

diamonHeadSight2.jpg

Not that it does you any good. It doesn't have the notch you are looking for. I do think the peeps are on the same plane though.

Me?

I just use the typical A2 (I think??) type sight with the large and small peeps on different planes. Now, granted I wasn't in the Army or the Marines, so I don't have a firm grasp of the ballistic concept behind how it works, but for me the large peep works like a ghost ring rear for the close stuff, maybe out to 50 yards. It is extremely fast. :surprise:

For stuff at 100 yards and 200 yards, I flip to the small peep and it turns out to be right on. Maybe it was designed to be like that or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Either way, I like it. :cheers:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the north, west and east flat points were for too.

I dunno.... :unsure:

Bottle opener? :roflol:

I haven't actually bought that sight. That is supposedly a prototype that will be unveiled at the SHOT show. I discovered those pics on another forum.

I think I am done buying iron sights for AR's.

At least for a while.... :ph34r:

Jeesshh.... I could have bought the cheap Weaver 1 to 4 by now... or a C-more railway.... :rolleyes:

I really, really, do like the big peep for the close in stuff. The brown cardboard gets framed between the front sight's "bunny ears" and it's BLAM! BLAM!. It's really quick. :D

Edited by Chills1994

Well I can't resist!.....More crap to spend your money on that is just plain....well...you get the idea! With those nice shart corners on the Diamond aperture, it will soon be called the "Blood Diamond"!

A general thought to the small aperture thing. The smaller you make the aperture the MORE lighting conditions will effect the bullet impact. The smaller apertures really do nothing more than sharpen your target IF you have a little astygnatism(sp?). This was found out in the early1900s, and since glass making at the time was only iffy at best, it had to be delt with by aperture size. Now I am not saying that a 3/4" pipe will be as precise as a .070 aperture, but you rapidly reach a point of DIMminishing returns ( get the DIM part?? :roflol: ) below .060. The stock A2 sight is about the best compromise size for most eyes. As for shooting over the top/shoot the notch/quick skill/quick kill/ what ever you want to call it, it is vastly faster than triing to line up a notch and the front sight.

DISCLAIMER: Now these are general thoughts and NOT pointed at anyone! Experimentation is good, let us know how this all turns out! KurtM