Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vacation Pictures

EricW

For my "vacation" I decided to buy a used canoe and see just how much paddling I could do in the few weeks of freedom I have left. I managed to get a really good photo at Fishtrap - a small Lake here in E. Wa. So I thought I'd share with y'all just for grins.

Zuzu-Fishtrap25pct.jpg

I really wanted to paddle down the Kettle River up north of here, but with current events (Read: 1, 2, 3) being what they are, *that* trip just might have turned out to be shooting related.

:ph34r:

Eric,

I'm green with envy, we've recently moved to the mountains, with awesome rivers and lakes and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my canoe.

Can think of nothing ( well not a lot) thats more relaxing than paddling a canoe in a place like that,

P.D.

Water sports are the ideal applications for carrying Glocks!

Before you go paddling unarmed, think about "Deliverance," "The River Wild," and a few other stories!

;)

While I don't have it strapped to the life vest.........yet (I'm working on it).........the G26 is in the dry bag. The only outdoor activities where you'll find me unarmed are downhill skiing (A yard sale with a loaded gun?...Not!), mountain climbing, and swimming.

And, I keep my eyes peeled for inbred banjo players from the minute I launch the boat. :P

Eric,

I'm green with envy, we've recently moved to the mountains, with awesome rivers and lakes and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my canoe.

Can think of nothing ( well not a lot) thats more relaxing than paddling a canoe in a place like that,

P.D.

Phil,

Paddling is great. I've always loved it. I just can't believe that it took me this long to get a ride. I really like my canoe even though it's the bargain-basement POS model. We really hauled ass yesterday. The pooch and I did a 10 mile paddle. On the return leg we were pushing 5 mph plus.

BTW - the best addition I've made to my canoe is a flotation bag. Without it, if you capsize in open water, your chances of righting your boat and bailing it out are zilch. Not good when the shore's a mile or more off. (Don't ask me how I learned this little lesson..... :o )

At a duck blind on the St. Joe River during our last excursion:

Zuzu-StJoe.jpg

Here's a pic from today's trip. This is at Bonnie Lake, about 40 miles southwest of Spokane. It's a very long, narrow lake surrounded by basalt cliffs.

BonnieLakeIsland.jpg

This particular island is uplifted granite. It's a very cool place to visit. Unfortunately, the only practical access is via canoe or kayak. AND....there's a catch: you have to paddle for 3/4 of a mile through a very windy, three-foot-deep channel in the middle of a cow pasture, then through another 1/4 mile of weeds. Yucko!!!!

• 4 months later...

zuzu-mtspokane-small.jpg

Thought I'd update my vacation thread. This is about mid-way up on Mt. Spokane Cross-Country ski area - which is probably one of the coolest trail systems short of the Colorado Rockies. There are several huts with wood-fed stoves and plenty of wood. The trails are immacualtely groomed. And humanity, being it's lazy ol' self sticks to the lowlands. So, the more you climb, the less people there are. Grind your way up around the back side of the mountain and you pretty much will have the place to yourself.

This little trip nearly got me busted by the cops. In the Fascist Republic of Washington, dogs are Verboten on virtually all state land. Mr. Ranger lost all interest in writing a ticket after seeing a trunk with a dog and hunting vest with shotgun shells all over the place.

If parking permits are going to cost $42, I'll bring my pet giraffe if I feel like it.

:lol:

ericW,

why can't you teach that dog to take photos? all we see is the dog. :D

nice photos however.

I'm still teaching her integral calculus and quantum mechanics. As soon as that's done, I'll get right on it.

:P

I'm still teaching her integral calculus and quantum mechanics. As soon as that's done, I'll get right on it.

That's a tough job. Most dogs love to differentiate, but they have an aversion to integration. Get the dog Mathcad for his notebook computer and let him do it numerically.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more that oddly didn't make it to my gallery travelogue last fall. These are of Priest Lake in North Idaho, not far from the Canadian border. These two pictures happened right after a close encounter with a young black bear about a mile upstream on the canal that connects upper and lower Priest lakes together.

This trip was the second expedition I had to take in order to tick this one off in the tour guide. I had been there two weeks earlier and got caught in the Mother of All Thunderstorms. We barely made it to shore before the the lightning started hammering everything around us. All you could do is sit in the truck and enjoy the show.

Travelling in the Idaho backcountry always seems to bring adventure. I like that. :)

MoonrisePriestLake.jpg

PriestLkSunsetCanoe.jpg

Thanks Nik. It's not me, it's the digital camera. I love my Nikon FA, but I don't miss film for 10 seconds. It's hard to get used to "what you see it what you get." Film was always such a roll of the dice - don't ask me why. Digital just seems to give much more predictable results.

Shred,

If you're really feeling up to a challenge, go for the winter assault on Chimney Rock. I've never climbed it, but 10 years ago, the drunken fantasy my buddies and I always had was to do a mixed climb on it. Too bad I'm so fat now I couldn't climb it with a top rope and crane...

If I get the chance, I'll try to backcountry ski/snowshoe in and get some pics...before the hordes of spring ruin the ambience.