Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Front Sight

sperman

I am going to build a 6" limited gun. I plan to use the STI copy of the Bomar adjustable rear sight. I would like a fiber optic front sight, but I've never shot with one before, so I am looking for recommendations on blade height, blade width, dot size, mfr, etc.

This has probably been covered before, but I was unable to find it. If someone can point me to the correct thread I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

For my FIVE inch Edge, I'm running a Dawson .090" fiber optic (Dawson is pretty much the standard FO sight for USPSA) which gives good light bars on either side of the sight and is fast for acquisition...however since your looking at a 6" slide, I'd probably go with the .100" Dawson FO sight as I think the .090" sight would probably be a bit too thin.

This is the front sight that I use on my limited gun.

Its a .100 wide and very bright even in low light.

SVFO.jpg

You can find it here:

SVI FO Front Sight

I got the red and I like it more than the green, but I guess that is personal preference.

There are alot of different ones out there, just make sure you get the right one for the cut you have on the slide.

I went thru about 5 of them until I found the right one.

Good Luck.

:cheers:

Hello: I like the Dawson 0.090 front that is 0.160 high. It will depend on how deep your rear sight cut is. Standard would be a 0.180 high but that puts the rear sight higher than the 0.160. I also like the Caspian 0.070 for a 5" for USPSA. For IDPA I like the 0.100 front. It really depends on your eyes (age) on sight width. I like more light on either side for my eyes and the green fiber is easier to see for me. Thanks, Eric

I have used 3 different FO front sights and the one that is the easiest and brightest for my 62 year old eyes to pick up continues to be the Hi Viz Green. I am tring not to spend too much extra so I will continue to use the Dawson on my Limited gun. Anything new will, if possible, have the HV.

JME and HO

Richard

I use Dawson 90x180 on 6" guns, and the only thing wrong with it is that it isn't 75 or 80 wide. It would be better if it was at least 10 narrower. There should be a commercial version available soon.

Ideally I would like to have the rear blade about 50 higher and the front 50 higher, the added depth in the rear notch would be awesome and is the only complaint I have with the Bo-Mar type sight picture.