Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camelback Connundrum

OK Camelback users...

botach_1734_752716.gifbotach_1734_693432.gifbotach_1734_631493.gifbotach_1732_120031509.gif

I'm planning on getting this one because it's on sale and it looks like what I want. But...how well do they work for you? My major question is what color to get, not b/c I need to be fashionable, but I wonder how well they're insulated. If I get a black one, will I just end up with a bag of hot water in half an hour? Should I go with the desert camo just to stave off the effects of solar radiation for another 15 minutes?

Thanks!

[And please no whining about Botach, I've never had a problem with them.....yet.... ;)]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad they don't have a plain tan version. OD would be my next choice. Neutral colors rule!

On a side note . . . does anyone make a body-worn hydration device that includes an on-board catheter so you don't have run to the little muchachos room every half hour because you're so well hydrated? :rolleyes:

Rhino,

I suppose (if you happened to read Frank Herbert's "Dune" sci/fi Romance and its sequels) you might not be looking for a camelback, but rather for a "Still-suit"! :D

Have a look at Fremens' shops in Arrakis (a.k.a. Dune planet). ;)

Eric,

There's a new bigger mouth bladder available for the camelbacks now --- at least in the 70 oz. size. The opening must have at least doubled in diameter, making it much easier to fill with ice. I fill the sucker with ice cubes, add a liter of evian (o.k., I admit it, I'm a water snob --- it's only evian and S. Pellegrino for me) and it's usually cool for about 6-7 hours if I'm drinking that little in 80-85 degree heat. At the FGN in 100 degree plus weather, it kept water cool for about four hours. And yeah, my carrier is black....

LOL, you guys actually PUT ICE IN IT, as opposed to throwing the sucker in the fridge?

ErikW, all of em work great. I'd personally go with the lighter colors (unless you need one for your stealth missions in the neighbors' back yard ;)) They DO keep them cooler regardless of the insulation. Black works fine, lighter works better.

BTW, I must say that I really like the platypus systems as well. They are also very durable. Come in sizes up to 4 litres (almost a gallon), and they even make insulators for them that seem to work better than the camelback insulation.

Only thing I like better about the camelbacks are the valves.

Rhino,

On the catheter system, they're working on it, but they insist on having a oversized ("big bite") valve for the catheters, too. The problem is in finding suitable testers. :D

My C-B is black, and I've not had a problem with the water warming up. I've usually sucked it dry long before there is a temp change.

Insulators retard the transmission of heat. (That is the answer to the question of how a thermos knows when to keep hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.)

With that in mind...does putting it in the fridge actually get the water cold? Or just the "pak"?

Nik...what are your ice cubes made of?

With that in mind...does putting it in the fridge actually get the water cold? Or just the "pak"?

Flex, after I put it in the fridge and let it sit there overnight, I could club my neighbour to death with the pak. Does that answer your question? ;)

Guys,

I need the tactical model to compensate for the bright red canoe I paddle around. By combining loud with stealth, I hope to arrive at a blend that might be relatively tasteful. :P

Actually, I'm only interested in the "tactical" model because it's on sale for 40 bucks.

Nik,

Is the one with the big mouth the "Omega"? I saw the Omega retrofit bladders, but didn't see any with that option out of the chute.

Color choice is truly a matter of personal taste. I had an original Camelbak (little skinny straps that dug into the tops of the shoulder) that I'd stuff with ice and fill with water before heading out to any match. Even back then with poorer insulation the water stayed cold throughout the day. With the newer models (and having the drinking tube insulated) I've NEVER had a mouthful of even tepid water. Always cold, Always refreshing!

Nik...what are your ice cubes made of?

Kyle,

If I'm home --- Evian of course. I've tried S. Pellegrino (w/ S. Pellegrino cubes, of course) but it just doesn't work for me on match day. There's usually a bottle in my cooler though for the drive home. If I'm on the road --- I use whatever's in the hotel ice machine --- and in Quincy that combo was almost undrinkable.

Eric,

It might have been the Omega, my CB is a couple of years old and I was looking for new tubing and bitevalves when I noticed the bigger mouth bladders. I bought one and kept the original bladder as a spare.

I have the original model in black and color does not seem to matter in keeping the contents cold. I would suggest you look at some of the other models that have a small pouch or storage area (M.U.L.E. model for instance). I seem to find that when I am wearing mine at the range I would like a snack nearby rather than having to go over to my range bag or cooler.

I'm with everyone else... The first one that came out was black only, and even though I wasn't a fan of that color, it worked fine as far as keeping the water cool.

I don't know what the "fill section" of the new bladders are like, but judging from the plastic looking external cap, they've improved a bit. I think I'd still prefer the aftermarket 100 oz bladder that uses a "roll up (as wide as the bladder is) velcro sealing top." Much cooler for filing and cleaning. Can't tell you who makes it though. Sorry.

;)

I recently upgraded from an ancient (skinny strap, small hole) CamelBak to a MULE for my motorcycle, but for shooting I use the original reservoir in another manufacturer's carrier. (Their bladder leaked from day 1.)

The Omega reservoir is way better than the old, small-hole reservoir. If you're lucky, your hotel ice machine cubes may be small enough to fit in there. You could fit soda-can-size ice blocks through the Omega filler. The small-hole filler also has the effect of limiting the useful capacity to considerably less than the rated capacity. (Maybe if you filled your bathtub and held it under, you'd fill it, but filling from a faucet and even topping off with pouring cups, you're gonna lose several ounces.

For $40 you should find some Omega reservoir CamelBak models on the web, maybe even some of the pack models.

BTW, I wore holes in two carriers by wearing my Safariland Velcro underbelt without the overbelt.

BTW, I wore holes in two carriers by wearing my Safariland Velcro underbelt without the overbelt.

I've been wondering why the bottom couple of inches of my camelbak are all scuffed and worn out. I think you just solved a mystery!

Bruce

Flex, after I put it in the fridge and let it sit there overnight, I could club my neighbour to death with the pak. Does that answer your question? ;)

Spook...that sounds like some hard water. :D:D

I drank about three gallons of water today . . . do they make a camelback that big? :rolleyes:

You drank 24 LBS of water?!!!! We're gonna change your tagline to "Dromedary" if you keep that up.