Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 No Longer Supported!

I just spoke with Dillon Precision and they claim that they are no longer manufacturing parts for the "old" 1050 and are already out of stock on some parts. If you break or wear something out and the part is not compatible with the new Super 1050 you could be out of luck. I could not believe it when he told me and I asked that he confirm. He went to the head rebuilder and confirmed that his statement was correct.

Leo

Holy $hit your right. :angry: I just called and confirmed. The lower journal and bearing assembly are no longer in stock. If some of you 1050 masters will please let me know what else wears out so I can buy one of them before they are gone too I would really appreciate it. :( Damn, I just bought this 1050 and haven't even started using it yet. <_< I don't blame Dillon, I should have done a little more research with them before I spent the money. Let's just hope that I got lucky and this one has many years of life left in it. :unsure:

Jim

Guest Larry Cazes

Jim, why NOT blame Dillon? They are responsible for supporting their products for a reasonable period of time following obsolence. In the electronics industry, this is typically 10-20 years after the product is discontinued.

Lcazes,

My sentiments exactly! The Super 1050 has only been out for a very short time. While I would not expect someone that recently purchased a 1050 to need a "main bearing" very soon, I would certainly expect Dillon to have one available WHEN it is needed. I would expect to get the same 10-20 years of service & support for the press that the folks that purchsed them 10 years ago had the opportunity to have.

I have never owned any press other than a Dillon and have received fantastic customer service on the few occasions that I have needed it but this shakes my confidence in the company.

Leo

Don't get me wrong guys, this does make me angry, especially when they choose to still support the 550 that I bought 17 years ago. But I could have called Dillon and asked what their plans were for RL 1050 support. Dillon has always done me right in the past. I am not sure how long ago the Super 1050 came out so I was not going to criticize them for changing out equipment to build the new model.

I would be willing to support a group of 1050 users in questioning Dillon's reasons for not leaving us with some alternative to just throwing away a $1000 machine.

There must be a fix here we just have to figure it out. Maybe we should ask Bill Gates. :D

Jim

If all you need is the bearing, and not the supporting mechanism, my guess is that it's a stock item that Dillon buys, so they should be able to provide an equivalent spec for you to purchase.

There's so many old 1050's out there, I'm really surprised that Dillon's stopping parts support. Charge for the parts, or provide blueprints/CAD files off the website, so at least *someone* could provide parts support.

Eric,

Their comment to me was that they do not have any and

will not be getting any more of the parts. That may prove to be incorrect but that is what he said. I could have accepted "we are currently out of stock but will have more as soon or as soon as we find a new supplier ..." or words to that effect. He acted as if they had no intention on EVER having parts available again.

I'm bummed because I wanted a 1050! I'd be afraid to buy a Super 1050 for fear that they would discontinue it and I would be stuck with a $1,300 paper weight!

Where's the Dillon guy when you need him?

Leo :(

I agree with L9X25 on the "Oh Well" attitude from the guy on the phone. I wonder if they are having problems with their people, it always seemed like the people there really wanted to help. I sent them an email asking about other parts that wear and the availability of them. Maybe the right person will get it and our problems will be solved. Or as Eric said maybe we can get the specs. Then we can create a new nitch market which will allow us all to retire. Then we could shoot all day every day. :D Maybe I'm dreaming. ;)

Jim

Jim,

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I sent a similar e-mail to Dillon a few days ago and never received a response. I finally gave up waiting and called today and got the info that I posted here. Maybe Mike Dillon retired and the place is "going to pot?"

Leo

It would be interesting to know how many parts, if any, are common between the 1050 and the Super 1050. I was thinking of making an offer on an old 1050, but now, I just don't know....

Dillon?

I was thinking of making an offer on an old 1050, but now, I just don't know....

Same here. I had heard a few comments about people prefering the older model. I was looking into getting one. Maybe Brian can get us the inside scoop?

Leo, I did not feel any rain. :D I just got the RL 1050 because I thought it would be the last reloader that I would have to ever buy. I am ready to send a letter straight to Mike asking him what is going on. Maybe if he received several letters at least he would help us come up with a solution.

Oh yeah, no response to my email yet either... <_<

Jim

Fellow 1050 users,

Everybody take a deep breath and relax. Almost all 1050 parts interchange with the Super 1050. The only parts that don't are the crank, journal,mainshaft, and bearings. These parts may occasionally run out, as they are now very low usage.If you periodically lube your 1050, these parts should last in excess of three million rounds. As these parts run out, we will order small quantities of them.Dillon has no plans to discontinue offering these parts! All of the more frequently used parts, primarily priming system and caliber conversion parts, toolheads, casefeed parts, all interchange with the Super 1050. Okay, breathe out. :)

You mean I can only load 2,500,000 more rounds on my press :( I don't think I can afford the bullets, powder, primers to wear it out for awhile.

You got to love people getting tweaked out of shape with only part of the story.

Dillon,

Can you buy the crank, journal,mainshaft, and bearings for a super 1050 and convert your 1050 to a Super 1050? Just my 2 cents, but maybe you should make a package deal for those 1050 owners who want to make their 1050 a Super 1050. Or is that even possible?

Crazyaboutguns,

I think you need to check your half-cock, it might be broke :)

Finally a voice of reason. I bought a 1050 yesterday --- after this thread started, feeling pretty secure that Dillon would continue to take care of me as they have for the last five years. If parts supply might be an occasional issue, I'll hang onto the 9mm parts for the 650. I'm looking forward to dedicated presses (650 for .45; 1050 for 9mm) and the (hopefully) significant speed advantages of the 1050....

Dillon,

The customer service folks at Dillon (specifically Dan-O)created this situation, not me. They are the ones that made the statements that the 1050 was no longer being supported, that parts were already out of stock and would not be replaced. I could not believe my ears. When I posted his response to the board Jim called to confirm and received the same response that I did.

I'm glad the situation is resolved but I certainly can't take credit for creating anything!

Leo

L9X25, You did good, there was a potential problem that without your post may not have been resolved.

Thank you.

Jim

I agree. Now that we know this we can enlighten others if the topic arises again. Once again this forum saves the world :D

You mean I can only load 2,500,000 more rounds on my press :( I don't think I can afford the bullets, powder, primers to wear it out for awhile.

You got to love people getting tweaked out of shape with only part of the story.

Dillon,

Can you buy the crank, journal,mainshaft, and bearings for a super 1050 and convert your 1050 to a Super 1050? Just my 2 cents, but maybe you should make a package deal for those 1050 owners who want to make their 1050 a Super 1050. Or is that even possible?

Crazyaboutguns,

I think you need to check your half-cock, it might be broke :)

That aspect of me which is broken is my patience with half-truth and misrepresentation by firms and individuals

profiting from same.