Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Ruger 10/22 builders?

jasmap

Tony Kidd !

Tony makes THE best complete 1022 trigger set He is a first rate guy too.

www.coolguyguns.com = Kidd Innovative Design

I have over 12 cases of CCI bullets shot over his Trigger & 8 nationals with -zero-trigger failure.

Before that I had over 12 dif triggers with too many failures to count

I built one with a Green Mountain barrel, Power Custom trigger parts, Boyds Blaster stock, and a bunch of time bedding it in. A little bolt work and the gun will put the CCI Standard velocity inside 1/2 moa. Easy to do and a lot of fun.

years ago shot the STC when it was still in Fla... built one myself with Clark barrel and factory stock...talked to Ken Tapp, and David Tubb the first year....rebuilt rifle when I came home

a. bedding....reverse thinking... you have heavy barrel and a clamp on receiver.... double lug the barrel not full float...

b. mount scope to barrel not receiver ( an inexpensive 6 x 24 Tasco AO) on mine...added Fajen thumbhole stock

c. changed depth of engagement and angle of cut on hammer.... changed angle and pivot point of trigger return spring... about 20oz... got it down to 11oz but didn't like it

d. hold headspace.....but much below .040 and you have a class 3 buzz gun

e... this one drove me crazy with one shot flyers.... hold the vertical movement of the firing pin by TIG welding a stop to limit it

f. build simple tuner for barrel harmonic... 1 1/4 round aluminum stock with .930 hole... slit lengthwise and drill/ tap a cross bolt pinch... shoot group, tap tuner and watch group open and close up.... using HIGH VELOCITY Win SuperX it holds 10 shot group on an IPSC paster at 100y

regards Les

a. bedding....reverse thinking... you have heavy barrel and a clamp on receiver.... double lug the barrel not full float...

b. mount scope to barrel not receiver ( an inexpensive 6 x 24 Tasco AO) on mine...added Fajen thumbhole stock

The man speaks the truth.

I'm curious as to why the reversal. Why not free float and why the scope on the barrel and not on the receiver? I ask because I would never have guessed it.

Flimsy reciever with a really heavy barrel hanging on it. Would be better if it was threaded, but with the press fit in the reciever, it's not very stable. I bedded the front of the action and about 4" of the barrel, the reciever floats.

Back in the early 90's I had one built. Before all the bolt on stuff got to where it is now.

Lothar Walter SS fluted barrel, match chamber, Fajen stock, he did the trigger don't remember how much it is now but light. I wish we had mounted the scope on the barrel but we didn't.

He bedded the whole length of the barrel.

It will do groups under .100 with match ammo all day long.

The best being .022 with Eley match.

With cheap Federal it will shoot 1/8.

I have dumped a truck load of praire dogs with it.

Now I have a TacSol that I need to get the trigger done on.

Clark still builds them I think

Clark just did a barrel for me.. Outstanding place to do business IMO.

Well then they definitely are still working on them. They still do 10/22 builds Merlin?

That I don't know. I had them chamber a Walther Lothar titebore barrel for me. Benny did not have a floating reamer and I sent it to Clark. I know they do a Lot of stuff with 10/22s and are very well respected in that (all) regards. Benny did my trigger and right now I have a simple forend pressure pad and a modded v block with a set screw to help with barrel droop. One of these days I will bed the receiver and barrel for the first few inches as Matt did on his. Seems like it shoots well but I really have not tried it out with anything but a 9 power scope so I don't know what it will actually do.

436686819_C4SA2-M.jpg

I'm curious as to why the reversal. Why not free float and why the scope on the barrel and not on the receiver? I ask because I would never have guessed it.

Flimsy reciever with a really heavy barrel hanging on it. Would be better if it was threaded, but with the press fit in the reciever, it's not very stable. I bedded the front of the action and about 4" of the barrel, the reciever floats.

The threading of the reciever has passed as favorable.

The threading of the reciever has passed as favorable.

Jamie is right. I used to build them with threaded recievers, pillar bedded barrels, bed the action after the pillars were set. Then you can mount the scope on the reciever.

You bed the barrel because a 3 pound piece of steel clamped to a 4 ounce piece of die cast aluminum isn't very stable.

Frank Glenn still builds them this way, I believe. Frank used to build them for Brian and Robbie.

http://www.glenncustom.com/

• 6 months later...

Well I have started the process of this long overdue project and I know own a 10/22. I am going to do all of the work myself or at least as much as I can't screw up. I'm going to do a before, during, and after photo report on the rifle when I get back home. I'm really looking forward to getting this going beyond just owning the rifle.

I have one that I did myself with help from Benny. It has a Ruger T barrel chambered and crowned by Clarks, it sits in one of Clarks traditional laminated stocks, the reciever floats and the barrel is bedded about 4 inches. The trigger is a out of the box Volquartsen unit. The bolt was reworked by Connicut Presion Chambering and that was money well spent. The scope is a 6x18 Nikon. It likes the Federal Auto Match ammo, and will shoot 3/8 inch all day long, 1/4 has been elusive but that is probaly my fault. It was a fun build and is a pleasure to shoot. A build it your self project that is well within reason for anyone with minimal gunsmith tools and some basic skills. Fun deal, go for it.------------Larry