Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakleys

45Fundi

Ordering Oakley Radars and they have 3 size lenses. One type is out, but I'm stuck between the Pitch and Path lens shapes.

Pitch (shape) just touches my cheeks when I squint and is clear of cheeks but very close to them with relaxed face.

Path (shape) is completely clear of cheeks whether face is relaxed or flexed, but seems like it "might" allow alot of light under the bottom of lens.

What are y'all's thoughts on lense shape/size to avoid fogging but still give the best coverage. I like the larger Pitch lens, but fear it will fog easily and slightly worried the smaller will allow too much light bounced from underneath.

Any thought on these specific lens shapes or opinions on lens sizes would be greatly appreciated!

I switched from the M frames to the half jackets. At first the light coming under the much smaller lenses of the half jackets bothered me. After about two days I did not even notice it. The smaller lenses definately fog less as well.

Thanks All

I was gonna get the SI M-Frames, but all the M-Frames sit too close to my eyes and my eyelashes leave a smear right in front of my eye ball :-( This is a problem with MOST glasses for me. I actually get an eyelash curler some times in desperation and curl them so they don't do this. When I was younger I actually would get frustrated and just pull them out. I know I have girlie lashes what a stupid problem to have :-(

So the Radars are the answer. They actually sit far enough away that my lashes don't touch, YeeefrigggnHah! My wife is actually sponsored by Rudy Project and I can get them really cheap, but still like the Oakley Optics a little better. I will probably get some Rudy's also soon, but am going to get the Oakleys for Christmas and don't know anyone who has a pair of Radars for me to try.

Thanks, I'm gonna go with the Path VR28, Clear and a yellow I think

Lens Tint suggestions that are Oakley specific?

Light from the bottom isn't really a problem for most people. If you think about it, most bright light is actually coming from above you. As for lens color, I like the Gray Iridium Polarized lens for bright sunlight. It's a very neutral color, and greatly tones down the most annoying light without feeling like you're looking through dark lenses. I've used pretty much every brand of sun lens (I'm in the optical business), and you just can't beat that lens for general use. For shooting, I really like the VR28 lens. It's a little more of a high contrast lens, but it's a little lighter, works well for bright but cloudy days. Those 2 are the ones I use, but I think I'm going to get either a clear or yellow lens for indoor and lower light shooting. I'll probably go with clear.

I have Flak Jackets, you may want to try some of them on. They don't look as dorky as Radars, which don't look as dorky as M Frames, and for me they actually fit a lot better because they're a little smaller. They sit closer to the face but there's enough frame to set the lens a little further out from my eyelashes. You really ought to go somewhere that sells Oakleys, and try them both on. Most anywhere that carries Oakley will have Radars and Flak Jackets on hand, the M frames may be a little harder to find in stock because only geezers wear them now.:P You can go on Oakley's website and find somebody near you who sells them. Look for somewhere that's some sort of big chain, like Sunglass Hut or Scheel's or the like, as they'll have the most styles to try. Some of the places on Oakley's site are actually optical stores that mostly just special order Rx stuff and don't actually have much Oakley on hand. If you still have the eyelash problem with Radars and Flak Jackets, get a metal frame with nosepads and a thinner temple. Any decent optician should be able to adjust that so it doesn't touch your eyelashes.

I'm in the optical business, but my store doesn't actually carry Oakley. I go elsewhere and buy Oakleys because they're friggin' great.

ETA: My gray lenses are the regular shape, the VR28 ones are the larger XLJ shape. In performance, I really see virtually no difference. I liked the idea of more lens coverage on my shooting lenses for safety reasons. Radars and Flak Jackets actually meet or exceed all requirements for the ANSI Z87 safety rating except chemical resistance, so they make excellent safety glasses for shooting.

Edited by Glockopop

Thanks. I've tried them all on, but actually getting out and finding that the smaller lens let in too much light from snow or pavement, etc. is what I meant by not trying them. I live in the Rockies and always wear a hat and its the light from below that kills me alot, plus I am a eye safety nerd and like the coverage. I am going to get the Paths (smaller) lens and try them first as fogging drives me crazy. I have wanted the Flak Jackets but they touch my girlie lashes and are a little small for my face, so I am probably gonna get the equivalent Rudy's instead since my wife gets them for nothing. I agree with your lens choices. I will probably get all 4 eventually. I really like the yellows for Upland birds and driving in the snow and shooting on really overcast days. The VR28 will work for most of the time and the Polo Grays for nuts bright situations. The clear for night shoots or working with springs and power tools.

I keep hearing good things about red lenses and bronze lenses ...they interest me.

Thanks All

Light from the bottom isn't really a problem for most people. If you think about it, most bright light is actually coming from above you. As for lens color, I like the Gray Iridium Polarized lens for bright sunlight. It's a very neutral color, and greatly tones down the most annoying light without feeling like you're looking through dark lenses. I've used pretty much every brand of sun lens (I'm in the optical business), and you just can't beat that lens for general use. For shooting, I really like the VR28 lens. It's a little more of a high contrast lens, but it's a little lighter, works well for bright but cloudy days. Those 2 are the ones I use, but I think I'm going to get either a clear or yellow lens for indoor and lower light shooting. I'll probably go with clear.

I have Flak Jackets, you may want to try some of them on. They don't look as dorky as Radars, which don't look as dorky as M Frames, and for me they actually fit a lot better because they're a little smaller. They sit closer to the face but there's enough frame to set the lens a little further out from my eyelashes. You really ought to go somewhere that sells Oakleys, and try them both on. Most anywhere that carries Oakley will have Radars and Flak Jackets on hand, the M frames may be a little harder to find in stock because only geezers wear them now.:P You can go on Oakley's website and find somebody near you who sells them. Look for somewhere that's some sort of big chain, like Sunglass Hut or Scheel's or the like, as they'll have the most styles to try. Some of the places on Oakley's site are actually optical stores that mostly just special order Rx stuff and don't actually have much Oakley on hand. If you still have the eyelash problem with Radars and Flak Jackets, get a metal frame with nosepads and a thinner temple. Any decent optician should be able to adjust that so it doesn't touch your eyelashes.

I'm in the optical business, but my store doesn't actually carry Oakley. I go elsewhere and buy Oakleys because they're friggin' great.

ETA: My gray lenses are the regular shape, the VR28 ones are the larger XLJ shape. In performance, I really see virtually no difference. I liked the idea of more lens coverage on my shooting lenses for safety reasons. Radars and Flak Jackets actually meet or exceed all requirements for the ANSI Z87 safety rating except chemical resistance, so they make excellent safety glasses for shooting.

Do any of you have problems with the non-wire frames interfering with ear muffs? Peltor 7S ear muffs if you want to get specific.

I wear the X-metal pennys with muffs just fine, but no experience with peltor 7S's

I have been using the ESS ICE glasses with the RX insert. First of all there customer service is VERY POOR, but they are the OK optics in the price point and like double thick. Bronze is my favorite followed by yellow. The RX insert I have the British Military metal wire frame version and would recommend the black plastic frame because the chrome metal wire has alot of light bounce/reflection under certain lighting. They are very heavy and have design problems. 1) the RX insert on my mild prescription is very curved in attempt to give a wrap around vision but only creates a slight fish bowl feel which distorts and slows down target acquisition 2) They changed the nose piece to put greater distance between the 2 lenses. This creates greater reflection/ghosting/light bounce between lenses and puts the RX lens so close to your eyes that your eye lashes brush the lens greasing it and increases FOGGING and so you slide them to the edge of your nose making them unstable. 3) VERY HEAVY w/inserts. I would recommend using them only with contacts 4) temple pieces wear out quickly if change lenses often as do temple to strap attach points. I look at these a mediocre to acceptable optically and just a disposable type of glasses.

IMHO

Ordered the Radars custom. Matte Black with VR28 and Hi Viz Yellow and Clear in the small lens shape. I will order more more lenses once I am certain the small lens is right for me. I'm probably going to order som Rudy Projects also since I can get them so cheap, but am counting on the Radars to be my "Go-To" lenses.

Thanks All

Thanks, I'm using the Radars when they get in next week, not the M-Frames, tho I was led to believe by buddies that the new SI M-Frames were specifically designed to be better with muffs. I use plugs first or double plug, so I'm not going to lose sleep over the muff issue unless it is really uncomfortable.

• 1 month later...

Are the Flak Jackets safe for pistol shooting?

Copied from safetyjacketsusa.com:

*Please note that while these glasses would presumably pass ANSI Z87.1-2003 standards, they are NOT certified, and are therefore not endorsed as industrial safety eyewear by Safety Glasses USA.

i've had prescription oakleys since 2000-they are the shitz-love 'em. just ordered a new half-jacket with 2 types of lenses, black iridium is great all around lens, and also the rudy iridium is really nice for low light or cloudy days. the half jackets have interchangable lenses...but since they are prescription, they are big bux. but well worth the investment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have the GI issue Oakly set. Ok sunglasses but bad for shooting. The temple pieces do not play well with earmuffs. In your decision making process be sure to pay attention to that aspect also.

I bought a new pair with just that in mind. I ended up getting a pair of Flack Jackets, as they appear to fit closest to the head, and not stick out as much as the others at the temples.

From above, they look like this:

while the M-frame and others look more like this

(it won't let me link the pictures for some reason)

For my fellow military brethren (also feds, leo, etc) check out Oakley's discount site for us US Standard Issue Very Very good discounts. Shipping is slow, but well worth the savings.

Jim

Yep, my Flak jackets were only $60 :cheers:

I placed an order with them about a month ago for a pair of boots, Half-Jackets, and a M-Frame replacement lense.......got the entire order 7 days later !!!!!

Now, I placed an order last night for a couple more things......it will probably take 2 months !!!!!