Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting loads for 6" Limited gun

waktasz

I just got back from chronoing some 200 gr Zero's that I happened to find laying around. 3.88 gr of Clays loaded to 1.215 OAL gave me a 168 PF. They felt really nice. I'll load a hundred or so up and give them a try at a local match.

• 4 months later...

I tried some 200 Gr Zero's this weekend 4.2 TG and got 172.3 PF shoots very soft and groups amazingly well.

I was wondering if any one out there has tried a load of 310 with a 200Gr.

I have a ton of this stuff and thought there has to be a recipie at least starting for 310 and 200Gr.

Thanks

John

Just throwing this out here in case anyone might find it useful...

6" Schuemann classic

mixed brass

WSP primers

1.200" OAL

Master Blaster (pre-BBI) 180gr

4.0gr N310

954.9 fps mean (PF 171.9)

SD 8.7

ES 32.5

sample size 11

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just got my new 6" gun and tried some loads with a 180 grain BBI; 4.5 grains Solo 1000 at 1.180 barely makes 165 pf but sure felt nice; same bullet seated to 1.200 and with 4.8 grains of Solo makes 171 pf but didnt really care for the sight tracking and recoil impulse. this load was great in my heavy 5" gun which used to make 169+ pf with it. slide on the new gun is heavily lightened and the gun should shoot nicer with the lighter bullets. gun has a Schuemann Classic bushing barrel.

got some plated 165 gr Rainier bullets and 170 gr Precision molys on order that I'm going to load with Solo and N320. will post results shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked up some loads with 1x Rem cases, Federal SP primers, Solo 1000, 1.180 oal. Temp was in the low 80's, sea level at 0900 with the usual high humidity. Gun is a Cameron's built STI with Schuemann Classic 6" bushing barrel, heavily lightened slide

Rainier 165 gr. RNFP plated(Midway had a sale and I wanted to try some lighter bullets. next time I'll buy FMJs)

5.1 gr 164 pf, great soft and flat shooting load but a tick under major at an average of 994 fps

5.2 gr 170 pf, muzzle doesnt move much at all and felt soft

5.3 gr 174 pf too hot

Precision 170 gr. molys

5.0 gr 172 pf feels like my old 170 pf Limited load for my 5", going to back off on the powder .2 grains for practice/local matches. should make about 167-168 pf

5.2 gr 177 pf too hot, unpleasant load

the magic definitely happens with the lighter 165 grain bullets. the recoil impulse and sight tracking with the 165 grain loads was alot better compared to my old Limited loads when I ran them through the gun. going to use 165 gr. jhps for major matches instead of 180's. Seems like the gun was built around the lighter bullets. I may even try some 155 grain bullets for shits and giggles.

will be working up loads with N320 in a few weeks.

will be working up loads with N320 in a few weeks.

I haven't chrono'd or tested for accuracy, yet, but I put together these loads and they shot very well in my 6" Bedell with Schuemann classic AET bushing barrel:

165gr Zero JHP, 5.5gr N320, CCI 400 small rifle primers, 1.200" OAL, 0.419 taper crimp, mixed range brass (inspected for bulging) ==> 172 PF

165gr Zero FMJ, 5.5gr N320, CCI 500 small pistol primers, 1.200" OAL, 0.419 taper crimp, mixed range brass (inspected for bulging) ==> 168 PF

ETA: type of brass used

ETA, part 2: added power factors

Edited by SpcStn

Did some chrono work today and added the power factors for the rounds I listed in the post above (#33).

The JHP with small rifle primer recipe will become my match ammo.

Edited by SpcStn

Did some chrono work today and added the power factors for the rounds I listed in the post above (#33).

Hello: Which bullet was more accurate for you? The JHP or the FMJ? I am also wondering if the Montana Gold CMJ bullet is more accurate than the JHP? I know the JHP is more accurate with my Open 9mm pistol but have not tried to compare them with my 40 6" pistols and I need to order some bullets :devil: Let us know when you get a chance :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I found the Zero JHP to be more accurate than the Zero FMJ. Keep in mind I didn't shoot hundreds of rounds but enough (~25 each) to give me more confidence in the JHP than the FMJ. The price difference between the two isn't too much (for me) so I'm going to use up the FMJ I have and order JHPs exclusively.

Also, I have not yet shot the MG CMJs through my gun. I have some MG JHPs coming in a couple of weeks but cannot give you an opinion on them, yet.

Hope this helps your decision.

Edited by SpcStn

Hello: Which bullet was more accurate for you? The JHP or the FMJ? I am also wondering if the Montana Gold CMJ bullet is more accurate than the JHP? I know the JHP is more accurate with my Open 9mm pistol but have not tried to compare them with my 40 6" pistols and I need to order some bullets :devil: Let us know when you get a chance :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Every bbl seems to have its own likes, and dislikes, but, all 7 of the .40s I own are more accurate with JHPs over fmj, or cmjs. :cheers:

My 6" guns seem to be more accurate with 165 grain, or lighter.

Just started my second year of USPSA. Looking to make some major matchs this year so I want to make sure my load is correct. Went to the range today to chrono some rounds. Precision delta 200 gr FMJ, 4.2gr Titegroup , oal 1.18 out of Fusion 6in. It was making between 166 and 168 power factor. My question is the temps were about 40 degrees or colder outside. How will this effect the #s ? How much of a buffer should tune the round up to ?

I would go up at least .1/.2 grain for insurance. most guys try to shoot for 170 pf for a little cushion. I cant remember if Titegroup is inverse or normal temp. sensitive. If its inverse then when it gets colder the velocity increases and vice versa.

Just started my second year of USPSA. Looking to make some major matchs this year so I want to make sure my load is correct. Went to the range today to chrono some rounds. Precision delta 200 gr FMJ, 4.2gr Titegroup , oal 1.18 out of Fusion 6in. It was making between 166 and 168 power factor. My question is the temps were about 40 degrees or colder outside. How will this effect the #s ? How much of a buffer should tune the round up to ?

Went out today and tried again. Temps were in the high 50's my 5 round average was 178pf. Only other change was I read the instructions and moved back a little farther from the chrono. Now its time to start cranking out some rounds for the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Waktasz,

In another post I gave you a really good load for My STI Eagle 6.0. of course all barrels are different.

Did you get your press???

Buy/Use a Chrono, work your load up slow & careful.

You YANKS do things different than these hog headed Hillbillys here in the Tenn Valley. LOL

Be SAFE,

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: As RH45 stated above the 165 grain Montana Gold JHP's are more accurate out of my Schumann barreled 6". They are alot more accurate than the 180 or 185's I was using before. I thought it was my bad shooting but the lighter bullet is more accurate :cheers: I have been using some Precision 170's and some pulled 165 grain bullets from Power Factor Shooting and they all are working great in the 6". What a relief it was to find that it was not me but my loads :surprise: OK maybe a little bit me :roflol: Now I want to try some different powders with the lighter bullets. Thanks, Eric

Just chronoed some loads with N320 and a Zero 165 gr jhp, WSR primer, Remington 1x fired case;

5.1 grains N320: avg 1024 fps 168.9 pf

5.2 grains N320: pf 174

very little muzzle rise and recoil. hard to believe that the loads are major pf. the 5.2 grain load felt about the same as the 5.1 grain load after shooting 100 rounds of each. I'll keep the 5.1 grain load for locals and bump up to 5.2 grain for majors.

despite the price, N320 is worth the extra expense. after running some drills with the same pf loads with Solo 1000 and N320, I was a few tenths faster with the N320 rounds so it does make a difference on the timer.

• 1 month later...

Depending on temp, 4.0-4.4 grains of Solo 1000 under Precision Moly 185 gr. Start at 4 for safety's sake and load 1.2 OAL if it will feed. If you have to load shorter be mindful of the pressure increases. I use CCI No. 500's and mixed brass out of a 6" STI with a Scheumann bushing barrel. This is my favorite load and it's soft and accurate enough to shoot a needle off a cactus! (the needle of your choosing of course!)

• 1 month later...