Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your car breaking down one month after you have it paid off!

betterment

Topic title says it all really. I am driving down the road at about 40mph and my car turns off :unsure:! As it turns out my Impala needs a new presure seliniod in the transmission, about $1,072. So buy a new car or open up the wallet and hope the hole does not get deeper...

Sucks. Pretty weird too. Shutting off at speed sounds like a timing belt. I'm no mechanic but I watched a NASCAR race once :). Might as well get it fixed. Cheaper than car payments from here to eternity.

Jim

2008 Charger is in the shop.

1999 Explorer needs both head gaskets.

1998 Jeep just quit on my wife.

The only thing on the place that is running right now is my daughter's 1985 Dodge truck and I put an alternator on it Tuesday.

:rolleyes:

I feel your pain.

Do I sound like I am whining?

Oh well, I will repair something tomorrow so I can get to the match on Saturday and that will make it all better!!!

Good luck with your car.

Bill

it is almost always cheaper to repair the car than to buy a new one.

I look over the car before I get anything major done.

Yes, I have replaced an engine or two....

upholstry and rust holes pretty much decide the situation.

two or three car payments and maybe some relief versus 60 you will pay...

miranda

I want a new truck so bad I can taste it and NOW is the time to buy a new vehicle if ever there was one, but mine still drags my fat butt where ever I need to go, still gets fuel economy that the 08/09 models can't even begin to match, and only requires a repair now and then which are FAR cheaper than payments. I have 240K on it, and it is easily good to go for another 600K if not 800K plus engine-wise, probably good to go for at least another 200K for the rest of the drive train. By the time I put another 200K on it the body will be falling off and I can justify getting another one though I am hoping to replace it after another 100K miles. The engine will wear out another truck easily, and that is the biggest reason I bought it, the most expensive repair possible is not an issue and won't happen with reasonable preventative maintenance. Everything else I can fix myself in a week end for the cost of a new truck payment or less.

Amen Howard, I just got some rust taken care of on my 02 F250 and had the sides repainted. My guy told me that if I hadnt caught the rust on the bottom of the doors in the next 6 months I would have had to buy new front doors after that........Preventative maintenance and keeping up on the little things keep you from having big things...almost all the time..I say fix it!

DougC

<_< I got my 99 F250 lightly used at a great price five years ago. The best thing I liked about it was that it was a Diesel and I did not know how to fix diesels. :unsure:

Last year I looked at new ones :sick: and put new seats in my truck instead.

Information on the internet saved me over $1,000 so far in cash not wasted on repairs that I have had to do to my truck. :wub: my truck loves shooting. <_< I think I have over 20,000 match miles on it

Jamie, that is exactly why I bought my Diesel truck! I havent had to replace the seat, but it is coming.....

My buddy has an 08 F350 .....12mpg with the restrictive exhaust system. If you touch the exhoust it voids the warantee.....So for the 1st 100K you have to eat 12mpg.....No thanks...... :closedeyes:

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

If you touch the exhoust it voids the warantee.....So for the 1st 100K you have to eat 12mpg.....No thanks...... :closedeyes:

DougC

Who says? You can replace the exhaust on a GM with no effect on the warranty. I run duals on my 3500 Chevy - and I get a heck of a lot more than 12mpg!

Bear in mind that the 08 and 09 diesels from Dodge, Ford and GM have particulate filters in the exhaust, think HUGE catalytic convertor. This POS requires raw fuel be pumped out in the exhaust stream to generate the extreme temperatures needed for it to warm up, work and clean itself periodically under use. This raw fuel pumped into the exhaust does NOTHING to propel the vehicle so it is coming straight off the top of the fuel economy that vehicle COULD get.

Friends with new ones are getting 12-15 MPG from all three brands where the trucks they foolishly traded in were getting 17-22 MPG. I haven't met anyone with a 08 diesel that is happy with it and all of the guys I know personally were die hard diesel truck guys.

Just one more thing to throw on the pile. Good ice storm last night, came out this morning to help my wife scrap her windows, go to get a scraper out of my car and SNAP the DOOR HANDLE comes OFF! WTF!!! Atleast it was not my driver side door...

Betterment, I managed to get all my vehicles repaired and feel much better now. :roflol: Install a new door handle and be glad you don't have a gazillion payments left. We can all shoot more without another car payment.

Have a great Christmas and a super new year.

Bill

My 10 year old honda has 190,000 on it. I'm hoping to see 300,000.

Fix it, save your cash that you woulda wasted on payments and start saving up for a new car you can purchase with cash.

But yah it sucks when crap goes wrong in batches.

Last spring I got back from a trip the windshield had cracked clear across.

I got in to start the heater and the knob came off in my hand.

About half way home the cataylitic converter went out.

Fun stuff.