Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loctite?

Mike Dame

271 is the red loctite that supposedly really holds.

If you really want to lock it on, though, get some of the 2 part epoxy thread locker from Brownells. This stuff is almost immune to oil and heat. I have never worked a comp loose with this stuff on it. The 271 red loctite will eventually shoot loose if you use too much gun cleaner or really heat up the barrel in a practice session.

262 is actually the "replacement" for 271, according to Loctite.

The key to it really working is primer. Makes it hold like holy hell, but it costs almost as much as the Loctite, and you can't just buy a little.

CLEAN CLEAN and CLEAN again, with any Locktite product you need to get any and all the lubricant off before applying.

Clean with a dry solvent IE acetone or MEK, many cleaners will leave a film, paint thinner, orange based cleaners and such will not allow locktite to work like it should.

262 and 271 will soften with heat and a comp gets way hot.

JB Weld and Brownells epoxy are permanent unless you take a torch to it. ;)

620 Loctite (creamy green colour) is the choice of all three gunsmiths that do work for my shop. It is better at holding under stress, temp and dirt.

Requires a fair (read shit loads) of heat to get it off. It sets a little to quick for my liking, but I have never had a problem if I keep that in mind.

I would use either 271 or 277. The 271 is still being made but, not everyone can get it anymore very easily. The 277 is the highst strength but, make sure you use the primer n. The primer really helps this particular grade. The green is a retaining compound and works probably as good but, read the directions. Some of it tells to bake the parts for a period of time. The 271 and 277 you do not. Good luck.

Paul.

Loctite has a great website.

The question was what type of loctite do we use.

The answer for me has 2 parts.

1 if the threads are a nice tite fit then use 271 with brake cleaner to get every thing nice and clean. work quickly with the gun up in batery cause you only get one chance to index every thing in .

2 if your threads are losely fited then a diferent aproach is neccesary. 680 with primer is a good option .

the one that I use on a regular basis is brownells acra glass with aluminum powder mixed in. the acraglass gives me time to index every thing the way I wantand the added strength of the metal filler realy locks things down tightly.I have never had a comp shoot loose with this mixture. On the same note I have never tried to get one off either

johnnie

LOCTITE MAKES MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF LOCKING/RETAINING ITEMS. THE ONE THING A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T KNOW IS IT TAKES IRON MOLECULES TO ACTIVATE MANY LOCTITE ITEMS. ( THIS WAS RELAYED TO US THRU THE LOCTITE TECH. SERVICES DEPT). THEIR ARE LOCTITE PRIMERS TO ACTIVATE THERE PRODUCTS IF IRON MOLECULES ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN THE PARTS BEING FASTENED USING LOCTITE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON USING THEIR THD. LOCKERS, YOU SHOULD CALL THE TECH DEPARTMENT AT LOCTITE.

THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY HELPFUL IN SOLVING THE PROBLEMS THAT HAVE COME UP IN OUR BUSINESS.